General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

range rovers

Search this Thread

Old 21-03-2012, 08:02 PM
norton3000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default range rovers

Evening All,

I'm after ideas for a a car to use for towing my race car this season.
ive been looking at range rovers and have found some on autrotrader for a really impressive price. something like this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...s/60?logcode=p

my only problem is i dont know these cars or 4 x 4's in general.

I seem to remember that a user on here was gathering quite a collection, tonny maddock?

so to summise even though they are cheap, are these likely to start showing major faults at this age? or if i get a good one will it serve me well.

Thanks

Chris
Old 21-03-2012, 08:10 PM
DirtyHarry85
Regular Contributor

My personal experience of the P38's are great looking cars which drive brilliant but ultimately unless the block has had all the bores re-lined then they WILL go porus and leave you in need of a new block or engine. Thats the actual reason they have so many overheating problems not the headgasket failure people presume. Also, so often the air suspension fails. not a massive problem as a couple of hundred quid sees you with a coil spring kit.

Ive nearly bought so many as there dead cheap but always fear on the drive home the engine boils over and the suspension drops and £££ ensues.

A classic 3.9 tows fantastic as do jeep cherokees 4.0l

Never owned an isuzu trooper but from what i hear they do the business too!
Old 21-03-2012, 08:24 PM
norton3000

i did notice in one of the adds the owner had replaced the air suspension and replaced with coil springs. is it pretty inevitable of the block becoming pourus then?

seems a shame but maybe why they are so cheap!!!

are there any reasons to stay clear of an lpg conversion?

thanks for the reply.

chris
Old 21-03-2012, 08:28 PM
neilscott83
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go for a 300 tdi discovery much more reliable than the p38 theres far to much to go wrong on them + you won't look like a third rate pimp which is good.
Old 21-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

you want to buy a later one 99 onwards with the thor engine not the gems engine
there is nothing wrong with the air suspension it is easily and cheaply fixed by someone that knows
don't buy cheap old cars of any make they're all shit lol

Last edited by Turbosystems; 21-03-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 21-03-2012, 08:32 PM
DirtyHarry85
Regular Contributor

Ive worked on 2 and both boiled over and friends old man had the same problem after a couple of months ownership. Trawl through ebay and half of them read that they have overheating problems.

As far as im aware the LPG increases the heat inside in the bore and thus accelerates the porosity of the bore.

Your best bet would be to opt for the 2.5 DSE version. BMW diesel engine which are good runners and comparitively more bhp/torque than its rivals.

A 2001 grand jeep cherokee 4.7 V8 on gas would be my personal fave. between 2-3k
Old 21-03-2012, 08:34 PM
GAZ W
PassionFord Post Troll

Ive got a 2.8 mitsubishi pajero for sale
Old 21-03-2012, 08:37 PM
norton3000

Originally Posted by prius
don't buy cheap old cars of any make their all shit lol
ha ha some good advice, im not looking to spend to much as ultimately i would like to buy a lwb daily and convert into a campervan. will have to save for that!!

just need something for this season to tow with and something the mrs can use for work.

will take a look at everyones suggestions.
thanks everyone for your input.

chris
Old 21-03-2012, 08:38 PM
norton3000

Originally Posted by GAZ W
Ive got a 2.8 mitsubishi pajero for sale
how much? pm me if you like
Old 21-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Vann1992
PassionFord Regular

Hey, if the LPG conversion isn't done properly then it can lead too some serious issue's.

Fella I know has a 4.6 v8 with viper style exhausts and some 22"s on it, surprisingly his air suspension hasn't died yet.
It's been in & out of his unit for the last 2 weeks with overheating problems, He's splashed out over £700 and it's still overheating.

He's changed the rad, thermostat and bled the system a good few time's, would you say that his block could be porous and fucked?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 21-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

the range rover is on par with a cosworth for cooling system issues
so if you have always owned a cosworth then you'll feel right at home with a range rover
Old 21-03-2012, 08:47 PM
DirtyHarry85
Regular Contributor

First time i worked on one i checked and checked and checked the everything, had it apart more times i care to remember but she constantly pressureised. I dare say thats no doubt the same problem he will be having.

ive never seen one for sale with re-lined bores and its not too expensive to carry it out. once lined the engines are bang on and you have a serious motor on your hands!
Old 21-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I just couldnt justify putting fuel in one!
Old 21-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LignerMotorsports
First time i worked on one i checked and checked and checked the everything, had it apart more times i care to remember but she constantly pressureised. I dare say thats no doubt the same problem he will be having.

ive never seen one for sale with re-lined bores and its not too expensive to carry it out. once lined the engines are bang on and you have a serious motor on your hands!
relined ,you are referring to top hat linering which when done correctly does indeed cure the problem but it is expensive as you in effect have 2 engines to do lol
Old 21-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Silver'Scort

Avoid petrol P38 Range Rover's at all costs. As already said above, porous block is almost inevitable, and the fuel costs would be horrendous for a tow car. Again as said above running them on LPG makes them run hot and dry and accelerates potential engine problems. A 2.5 6-pot diesel would be a better idea but they are noisy and VERY gutless, though that can be rectified with a chip from the likes of Jeremy J Fearn. In general, i.e. petrol or squeasel, expect BECM's jossing it, air suspension compressors, airbags and valve blocks giving grief, electrical woes like you wouldn't believe, in tank fuel pumps, and heater pipe o-rings leaking.
I talk from experience, i work with Land/Range Rovers. It might sound like a turkey voting for christmas, but personally if it only has to last a season, i'd be looking at a 300tdi disco (for the price of that Rangie you'd get something fairly decent) or something jap and diesel
Old 21-03-2012, 10:27 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Toyota landcruiser, pull anything with a big enough engine, but are thirsty things.
Old 22-03-2012, 07:31 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a diesel p38 automatic which has been chipped. It goes ok really.

Doing around 24mpg, it's marginally better than a petrol which will do 15mpg.

I've had it 18months and totally love it, imho it's a great looking car, capable off road, good at towing, comfy and everythings electric and heated! heated windscreens, mirrors, seats, washer jets, electric seats the list of toys is endless. And all for £2grand. even had six months test.

All i've done in 18months is replace all airbags and compressor (£300) and rear brake pads (£20). Replaced one of the heater mototrs, interior alarm sensor, door lock and a window regulator, but got all these bits at local breakers/ebay for less than £50.

imho a great motor that drives and handles beautifully* for a two grand car thats 15 years old with 150k miles on the clock.

* for a car in this market sector obviously.

& whats more, unlike a cosworth the chassis doesn't rust & most of the pannels are aluminium.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:02 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

[quote=Vann1992;5848976]Hey, if the LPG conversion isn't done properly then it can lead too some serious issue [/quote

dont LPG fuel systems have to be serviced every year too
Old 22-03-2012, 08:10 PM
david 100

Originally Posted by Silver'Scort
Avoid petrol P38 Range Rover's at all costs. As already said above, porous block is almost inevitable, and the fuel costs would be horrendous for a tow car. Again as said above running them on LPG makes them run hot and dry and accelerates potential engine problems. A 2.5 6-pot diesel would be a better idea but they are noisy and VERY gutless, though that can be rectified with a chip from the likes of Jeremy J Fearn. In general, i.e. petrol or squeasel, expect BECM's jossing it, air suspension compressors, airbags and valve blocks giving grief, electrical woes like you wouldn't believe, in tank fuel pumps, and heater pipe o-rings leaking.
I talk from experience, i work with Land/Range Rovers. It might sound like a turkey voting for christmas, but personally if it only has to last a season, i'd be looking at a 300tdi disco (for the price of that Rangie you'd get something fairly decent) or something jap and diesel
Yea i have a 1998 DSE, Range Rover, its had all the above problems, its been chipped and it keeps up with the trafic ok, in fact give it the big one and it gets away pretty quick, and i have never been in a more comfortable car.

Last edited by david 100; 22-03-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 22-03-2012, 10:42 PM
andycos
Regular Contributor

Well ive had my cosworth 12 years and my 4.6 rangey with lpg 2 years,and neither have had overheating problems.
Must try harder
Will admit i have done 600 mile round trips in the cosworth with no hint of a problem,but as for taking the p38. Not so sure
Old 23-03-2012, 12:23 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

I've had my 98 4.6 vogue for 4 years ,I absolutely love it almost as much as it loves petrol! I get 13mpg round town if I'm very lucky, give it Barry big potatoes or tow something heavy and it's more like 6mpg.
It has had the "porous block" issue but I put a pot of k-seal in it 2years ago to get me home and that stopped it boiling over, it will still sit in traffic all day without going over half way on the guage.
Old 23-03-2012, 10:00 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Always liked the rangey but I've seen loads of them dead with all sorts of problems and of course their fuel economy is not good at all.
They do still have a certain level of respectability but when I see people driving an n plate racing green one with beige leather I can't help thinking they park it outside a council house with fake pillars outside,concrete lions on the doorstep and a water feature in their living room!!!
All IMO of course.
I've got a jeep grand Cherokee facelift 4.0litre with LPG and it's a great tower,pulls anything and gets about 28-29mpg equivalent,shifts a bit too and has all the toys.
I've towed all over the country with it with no issues after I bought it cat c from the insurance company two years ago.

One thing I will say against them is they don't have a very high quality feel inside and a few things broke quite easily on mine,drivers seat,switch packs etc,nothing major but annoying.
Mechanically the only issue I've had/got with it is the rear wheel bearings gone causing the axle to wobble about a bit!!!apparently it's quite common on them and a 2nd hand axle is about £200 all in so not too bad.
Old 23-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

I've seen about 500 of them today. They're great cars.
The towbar fitment is done by a great guy at the factory.

Last edited by Madgit; 23-03-2012 at 11:13 AM.