General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Pagid brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pagid brake pads?

Brake pad warning light came on today. Had a look and theres still a fair chunk left on them, they will be fine for a long while but I think I'l replace them sooner rather than later.

Straight away went into the "Hmmm while I'm at it might aswell replace all the pads and discs with mintex, fit braided hoses and replace all the brake fluid"

Although just had a look around the car and all the discs are fine.
So looking at Pagid pads. Anyone use them? Any good?
Not a fast driver but I do like have decent brakes.

Also does a brake fluid change make much of a difference? I suspect my 10 year old car is on the original fluid.

Bailes.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pagid are very good! They are rated as OE quality so on a par with Mintex, Ferrodo etc. I bought some for my S2 from Euro car parts and they were only about £20 with trade discount. I noticed an improvement over the old EBC greenshit pads too!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:01 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

You have a brake warning light on what I presume the Focus LX in your siggy?

Also they are drums at the back as standard, so I guess yours have been uprated or optional extra?

Yes it can as the fluid is "hygroscopic", meaning it absorbs air even though it's a sealed system, as a rule it's supposted to be changed every two years.

Can't comment on the pads, if the car is used in a "Normal" day to day situation though, would uprated pads be of great benefit, if any?

I just used motor factors special

Martin
Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie

Also they are drums at the back as standard, so I guess yours have been uprated or optional extra?

Yes it can as the fluid is "hygroscopic", meaning it absorbs air even though it's a sealed system, as a rule it's supposted to be changed every two years.

Can't comment on the pads, if the car is used in a "Normal" day to day situation though, would uprated pads be of great benefit, if any?

Martin
Nooo I have a Peugeot 406 HDi now with 283mm discs in the front, 290mm discs in the back (Non vented, small 'pad' area but contain a seperate drum for the handbrake).

Thought here would be a better place to ask as 406oc, as great as it is, budget brakes are great to them. Just got reccomended Eicher which I fitted to my last 406 and my Focus and found you can brake gently and you can brake hard but theres nothing in between. Really odd feeling.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use pagid brakes pads on my 330d BMW and they have been fine... I can put on the anchors hard enough in an emergency that I can scare the drivers behind me still!

apparently merc amg use them?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Nooo I have a Peugeot 406 HDi now with 283mm discs in the front, 290mm discs in the back (Non vented, small 'pad' area but contain a seperate drum for the handbrake).

Thought here would be a better place to ask as 406oc, as great as it is, budget brakes are great to them. Just got reccomended Eicher which I fitted to my last 406 and my Focus and found you can brake gently and you can brake hard but theres nothing in between. Really odd feeling.
Eicher are budget pads and not OE.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:50 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Martin
Pagid make 'normal' pads as well as uprated and competition pads mate
Old 07-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes it can as the fluid is "hygroscopic", meaning it absorbs air even though it's a sealed system,
Martin
Hygroscopic means it is water absorbing bud, not air absorbing.