General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

M5 vs Focus RS vs XKR vs EVO8

Search this Thread

Old 27-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Is lambchops 8k or 8.5k...?
Old 28-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Bit of a curveball option.

Have you considered a vauxhall monaro, which is basically a rebadged holden?.

They are supposedly very good for a big v8 coupe.
Don't know if you could get monaro vxr8 in that price range?

A know it'll have a vauxhall badge on it but maybe its something to consider??
Old 28-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You wouldn't get 6.0 VXR for that money, but a 5.7 easy. Early basic 5.7's look a bit bland compared to the VXR, but still a great car. Would choose the M5 over an early 5.7, but the LS1 engine and other mechanicals are pretty simple in comparison and pretty bulletproof.
Old 28-01-2012, 08:43 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Grant
I was just interested in what it would actually cost to keep an M5 serviced correctly. I drove an E46 M3 and was really surprised at how much I liked it and how impressed I was at the drive of it... it would be hard for me to ignore an E46 and E39 if looking at cars around this price bracket.
Absolutely nothing wrong with an E46 M3, i considered changing but decided against it. I have a few mates with these and generally it seems the parts and servicing is more expensive for some reason, thats my experience anyway.
I had a recent inspection 2 (most expensive service interval) at my local approved BMW dealer for 550 quid, some other places wanted 750, but thats NOT an annual service, it's not done on mileage, its worked out on type of useage and time elapsed and it will telll you when it's due.
Brakes can be expensive, I replaced the fronts (DIY) and the brakes alone were over 600 iirc and that's CHEAP, lots of places want alot more for the discs, and you can basically only use only BMW discs on these.
Tyres are not cheap unless you put on shite, the backs are 275/35/18, fronts 255/40/18 i think.

That aside, it's the best car Ive ever owned, super reliable, and I would only sell it to buy another one.
Old 28-01-2012, 09:04 AM
CossieRob
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike C
You wouldn't get 6.0 VXR for that money, but a 5.7 easy. Early basic 5.7's look a bit bland compared to the VXR, but still a great car. Would choose the M5 over an early 5.7, but the LS1 engine and other mechanicals are pretty simple in comparison and pretty bulletproof.
A bit off topic, but my mates brother just got a tuned black VXR8 with something like 620bhp - looks pure fuckin evil! got a txt last week telling me he was getting 5mpg! lol
Old 28-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by CossieRob
A bit off topic, but my mates brother just got a tuned black VXR8 with something like 620bhp - looks pure fuckin evil! got a txt last week telling me he was getting 5mpg! lol
I averaged around 24mpg in my 6.0 VXR over 3 and a half years. That was standard, but supercharged ones won't be much different if that's the only major mod. Did up to 28mpg on a run, typically 26mpg and once purposely took it easy just to see if 30mpg was possible and just scraped it.

It was easy to get it down to single figures thrashing it, but because it's such a big lazy engine its virtually idling on the motorway etc, so you can have a run at a steady 80 in 6th gear and it's not too bad at all on fuel. That was the thing everyone said when they knew it was a 6.0, bet that's heavy on fuel or how many gallons to the mile does it do!
Old 28-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Get a focus rs bought.
Old 28-01-2012, 09:38 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

For point to point fun and speed, I'd actually be looking at an Evo 5, best one ever made IMO. But again, the RS is a great choice too and would definitely be cheaper to maintain.
Old 28-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm looking at cars in this price bracket at the moment and it always comes down to 3 cars.

FRS
S4 4.2V8
Monaro
Old 29-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Rogeyboy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rog - So you have an M5 currently? How reliable is it really? What things have gone wrong with it? How do you find the cornering etc?

Ive read afew reviews online etc, and the M5 is sposed to be a fine handling car. Altho the brakes are sposed to be a "weak point", surely with a set of decent pads and the aforementioned cooling ducts they would be pretty good? IIRC they use floating discs aswell?

I love the look of a mk1 FRS, and i know they handle well. At a recent track day i was all over a Mk2 ST but couldnt get anywhere near a Mk1 FRS. I wouldnt want to modify one to the stage of unreliability, i guess with around 260-280bhp and a few chassis mods these would be on par with an Evo around back roads etc. Also what are the brembos and standard suspension like on these, when driven hard?

Maybe i am a little short for an Evo, but i'd try and stretch to one. Altho i don't wanna buy a cheaper end car, thats gonna be a dog! Altho an Evo would be awesome fun i imagine! Can you really hit any bend at any speed and the AYC will get your round?

I think most of you are right on the XKR, it was a bit of a wildcard. Being auto and abit barge like... They look and sound nice tho, maybe when im 50+ lol?

So we've knocked 1 or 2 off the list, down to an M5 or FRS...
Old 29-01-2012, 10:38 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

out of the final 2 i would go towards an m5.
mine was awesome....could cruise up to track days at 80-90 mph,do a full trackday without a hiccup and drive home in comfort. only mods were front pads and brake fluid-they feel much more agile when being driven hard on track than you would think.

although i took a focus rs to the ring and had fun in that too!

whatever you choose,you have 2 very good cars on your list.another to consider if they are in a similar price bracket now would be a c32 amg merc-they dont look much different than a standard car but the 3.2 supercharged engine is great and nice autobox for cruising. i had a 52 plate one about 5 years ago and was very surprised by it-they were 12k then though....just had a quick look and they are around 6-7k. and 350 bhp!

Last edited by fordsportjay; 29-01-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 29-01-2012, 11:25 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogeyboy
Rog - So you have an M5 currently? How reliable is it really? What things have gone wrong with it? How do you find the cornering etc?

Ive read afew reviews online etc, and the M5 is sposed to be a fine handling car. Altho the brakes are sposed to be a "weak point", surely with a set of decent pads and the aforementioned cooling ducts they would be pretty good? IIRC they use floating discs aswell?

I love the look of a mk1 FRS, and i know they handle well. At a recent track day i was all over a Mk2 ST but couldnt get anywhere near a Mk1 FRS. I wouldnt want to modify one to the stage of unreliability, i guess with around 260-280bhp and a few chassis mods these would be on par with an Evo around back roads etc. Also what are the brembos and standard suspension like on these, when driven hard?
If I had to choose I think I would take the ST, IF I was interested in the engine/power side, the ST 5 pot engine is a lovely engine and very tunable, it also makes a lovely sound!

As I never owned one I don't know but the MK1 FRS seemed to always get slated for torque steer? A great car though!

I have been looking at M3's I have learnt that it's imperative to make sure the brakes and tyres are good or ideally have been recently replaced as both are mega expensive, same would apply to the M5 as well.

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 29-01-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 29-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
are you taking the piss? there is a shitload on ph for 7k.

although for 8k id be seriously tempted ith lambchops that is for sale on here
Originally Posted by rsmat
Is lambchops 8k or 8.5k...?

https://passionford.com/forum/cars-f...he-bottom.html

8k would see you take it away with standard alloys only or Ł8400 with csl's AS WELL.

My tuppence is that Evo 6 interiors suck donkey dick. I wanted one before I got my 8 and I'm so glad I didnt as they just 'feel' very old.

My FRS was my favourite car beforwe I got the M3 which trounced that again.

An M5 is a total weapon and cheap now. But I'd CRY at the fuel costs.
Old 29-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

I'd go with the E46 M3 too, (make sure you check the rear floor for tearing issues though)

Great cars to play in, puts a smile on your face and they're holding value fairly well at the moment too, so if you decide in a year or so your bored with it, you could see your money back (if you look after it)
Old 29-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Rogeyboy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah thats a good point, neither seem to be dropping drastically in value!
Fuel costs don't bother me as it would be mainly a toy!

Im going to have to try and blag a ride in each!