General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The Cosworth Sierra touring car engines?

Search this Thread

Old 26-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AGAR-COSWORTH
If I am proved wrong then so be it - I will happily admit it.

Well come on then?
Old 26-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
and Harvey commented that you had to drive it with one hand on the gear-lever, because if you removed it, you'd never get it back on due to the acceleration forces (unless you came off the throttle) .

Holy shit

You might as well throw up that pic of you in the drivers seat
Old 26-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Mad Matt
Rally nut

Originally Posted by Cossie Sean
Lancia used to hide it in fire extinguishers, hence the ban from rallying
Now where did you get that from ??
Old 26-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by Porkie
Well come on then?

This is where I'd be accused of baiting

Lee the poor boy has already had 1 post after his 'no more posts' speech so I'm not sure he can post again

He backed up what he thought was right going by what the team owner said. I think it should be forgotten about...
Old 26-01-2012, 11:24 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

As above, and without jumping on the bandwagon where's the clear proof that it wasnt, if I have missed it then apologies in advance.
Old 26-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Lambchop
This is where I'd be accused of baiting

Lee the poor boy has already had 1 post after his 'no more posts' speech so I'm not sure he can post again

He backed up what he thought was right going by what the team owner said. I think it should be forgotten about...

He told me to wind my neck in, said TSK TSK... then said I owe him an Apology? he accused me of not doing homework AND he used the

I DEMAND JUSTICE
Old 26-01-2012, 11:25 AM
3FRD
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To back up agars reply. The 1st thing I thought when I seen your reply porkier was nob. Utter bullshit to me says your full of shit! Nicer ways to reply.
Old 26-01-2012, 11:40 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jesus christ let it drop, if you really have a problem with it that bad, speak to DJ about it
Old 26-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I DEMAND JUSTICE
Do you want to slap him across the face with your leather gauntlet and demand pistols at dawn too
Old 26-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Old 26-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by C8SEE
To back up agars reply. The 1st thing I thought when I seen your reply porkier was nob. Utter bullshit to me says your full of shit! Nicer ways to reply.
What part of that say HE IS FULL OF SHIT... To me it reads what ever the rumour of you've been told... It sounds bullshit so come on guys lets drop it..!

where did you hear that? sounds like UTTER bullshit!

AWESOME news on Car!!!!!!!!!!!!! so exciting. Cant wait to see pics and follow the rebuild!

Enjoy

Last edited by Rsmat; 26-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 26-01-2012, 12:19 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to post genuine info or facts then I started a thread that you can post in

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...iscussion.html

Try to keep it on topic !
Old 26-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

He told me to wind my neck in, said TSK TSK... then said I owe him an Apology? he accused me of not doing homework AND he used the

I DEMAND JUSTICE
I just to demand and force it with my tongue/fingers where as now I think of myself as PF peace keeper and part time sniper rolled in to one

You're a big enough boy to brush it off

Originally Posted by Deano
Do you want to slap him across the face with your leather gauntlet and demand pistols at dawn too
PMSL

*diamond studded leather gauntlet
Old 26-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

I DEMAND JUSTICE

And you called him a bullshitter he was only repeating what he heard from johnson himself ! enough is enough please
Old 26-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

*diamond studded leather gauntlet
Liberace Manning on the war path

" I say Sir , I have been wronged and demand satisfaction , you brute ! I slap you thrice with my studded gauntlet and lay down my challenge "

Old 26-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by Sanchez_
And you called him a bullshitter he was only repeating what he heard from johnson himself ! enough is enough please
I feel so much better when you are visibly laying down the law at a door other than mine

" I say Sir , I have been wronged and demand satisfaction , you brute ! I slap you thrice with my studded gauntlet and lay down my challenge "

Old 26-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I feel so much better when you are visibly laying down the law at a door other than mine
See ! and you thought it was personal !
Old 26-01-2012, 01:12 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Brilliant

And can every1 stop throwin their toys out the pram. Jay hasnt got time to pick em all up lol.
Old 26-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rog
As above, and without jumping on the bandwagon where's the clear proof that it wasnt, if I have missed it then apologies in advance.
Because although the turbine / compressor housings can be ported with it being difficult to see without pulling the turbo apart (and as the cars were homologated), they HAD to use the T4 compressor and turbine wheels still (and any deviation from the standard would have been blatantly obvious) and a T4 compressor wheel only flows 48lb of air at 2.2 bar. Ipso facto, a T4 would struggle to achieve a number start with a 6 at nearly 3 bar (impossible to run for any sustained duration on standard head-bolts and gasket ), let alone getting on for a number starting with a 7 LOL.

580bhp on a T4 a 2.0 bar is a physical impossibility, let alone 680......

With high compression (the Touring cars often ran figures starting with a 6!), my own car makes 543bhp at 2.2 bar and on 2.2 litres. Admittedly this is on pump fuel, and you could add an additional 30-35bhp with race fuel, but it is still way short of the figures being bandied about.
Old 26-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Its worth understanding that the porting of the rear housings would really harm turbo responce, but also improve engine VE through backpressure reduction, that is where they would gain, not through Compressor flow, through reduced pumping losses, but they arent gaining nearly 200bhp through it.
Old 26-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Matt
Now where did you get that from ??
thaught this was common knowledge,

referance to it here also.

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...eat-turbo.html

i think it was also on one of the Duke videos?!

Sean.
Old 26-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by AGAR-COSWORTH

I hope the engine in this latest find will be on par with the original, ie 2 bar of boost = 680bhp
What, if anything, went through your mind when you wrote this down? Does your brain stem posses higher functions, or do you just open a dictionary and point out random words for your sentences? Why don't you log off and fuck off, seeing as everyone hates you.

p.s Ha ha, Agar got into trouble

p.p.s In retrospect, thread of the week
Old 26-01-2012, 06:08 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I hope thats some sort of joke ^
Old 26-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rog
It didn't read nice did it, anyway what would a std T4 make with its neck rung to fuck back in the day then?????

Steve
Old 26-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My previous post might have been an effort to goad a response from Agar. I do love him really. He'll know that.
Old 26-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by rog

Haha he's that sicko that my M3 came from. He's what gives the car that lovely scent

Don't worry, all friends here
Old 26-01-2012, 08:11 PM
santaclaus
Virgin

1991 , bathurst , the skylines clocked 299kmh down conrod , a record , at the time ( this was the last full fat gtr , all genuine 600hp for the top teams , 580 or so the lessers , before a 19psi restriction for 92 )

The sierras were definately in the mix with them , but nothing was recorded i believe , but few were

Courtesy of 'supertouring' @ tentenths , and his full technical artical of rouse's 500

440lbft @ 6000 570hp @ 7300 were the quoted figures

- To my eyes would bare fruit that , johnson may have meant 580 not 680 in that interview , slip of the tongue etc

Last edited by santaclaus; 26-01-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 26-01-2012, 08:36 PM
santaclaus
Virgin

Glen seton , also won rds of the atcc etc against johnson , had quoted his spec to be 580hp , @ 2.4 bar on 6.2 cr

to add further weight to the subject

Last edited by santaclaus; 26-01-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 26-01-2012, 08:40 PM
madfezzer
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by santaclaus
1991 , bathurst , the skylines clocked 299kmh down conrod , a record , at the time ( this was the last full fat gtr , all genuine 600hp for the top teams , 580 or so the lessers , before a 19psi restriction for 92 )

The sierras were definately in the mix with them , but nothing was recorded i believe , but few were

Courtesy of 'supertouring' @ tentenths , and his full technical artical of rouse's 500

440lbft @ 6000 570hp @ 7300 were the quoted figures

- To my eyes would bare fruit that , johnson may have meant 580 not 680 in that interview , slip of the tongue etc
agreed and im of the opinion that in the day the technology(in the ecu ) wasnt avaliable to produce in excess of 600bhp reliably and the figures quoted were boastful to say the least,i have raced against the big 600 bhp r32 skylines and found a 500 bhp 2wd 3door was more than a match for them.
Old 26-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Mad Matt
Rally nut

Originally Posted by Cossie Sean
thaught this was common knowledge,

referance to it here also.

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...eat-turbo.html

i think it was also on one of the Duke videos?!

Sean.
I think you are confusing LANCIA with TOYOTA ! Lancia has never been banned whatsoever. They were at the beginning of the group B era and continued through the group A era but they have never been banned.

And those rumours about nitrous, fuel stored in roll cage, well that's just bullshit. They never had such things and if you do some maths (for example looking at how much fuel you can store in a roll cage) you would see it makes no sense.

I have seen few times some Delta S4 with my own eyes and close enough to touch them, take pictures on the inside for example, and believe me they have NO fuel cell under the seats and these cars I saw were rally cars, not "stradale" (aka street version) converted. Why would they even need that ? The biggest engine at that time was the 5cylinders of the Audi Sport Quattro S1 and even Audi didn't need that to finish rallies.

Its a bit off topic, but I had to clear this up.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:10 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I think you are confusing LANCIA with TOYOTA ! Lancia has never been banned whatsoever. They were at the beginning of the group B era and continued through the group A era but they have never been banned.

And those rumours about nitrous, fuel stored in roll cage, well that's just bullshit. They never had such things and if you do some maths (for example looking at how much fuel you can store in a roll cage) you would see it makes no sense.

I have seen few times some Delta S4 with my own eyes and close enough to touch them, take pictures on the inside for example, and believe me they have NO fuel cell under the seats and these cars I saw were rally cars, not "stradale" (aka street version) converted. Why would they even need that ? The biggest engine at that time was the 5cylinders of the Audi Sport Quattro S1 and even Audi didn't need that to finish rallies.

Mate if it was that visible it wouldnt pass scrutineering would it
Old 26-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Mad Matt
Rally nut

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
Mate if it was that visible it wouldnt pass scrutineering would it
Of course, but how can you hide a fuel cell UNDER A SEAT big enough to be worth it, but not too big to risk a ban. That was my point. And I tell you there is just NO space in there.

And again they had no consumption problems. It was not nos either, be sure. I even heard stories that some teams may have used air conditioner compressor and cold pipes connected the the intercooler. Bullshit. You always hear wrong things to "make the legend", like the one who said Toivonen could have qualified 6th or 8th at the Estoril F1 GP in 1986. Again its bullshit, but there are things like this that are difficult to erase.

Last edited by Mad Matt; 26-01-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:14 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Ask Moffat and Brock what was in their fire extinguishers then if you think you cant hide nitrous
Old 26-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it would seem i was wrong

but there was use of nitrous in fire extinguishers in Delta as far as im aware and it is in literature and some of Duke`s media videos, (not S4)

honest im not telling porkies!

Last edited by Cossie Sean; 26-01-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 26-01-2012, 11:41 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
Ask Moffat and Brock what was in their fire extinguishers then if you think you cant hide nitrous
I wish anybody could ask Peter Brock anything...

Ive definatly heard of something being stored in fire extinguishers before, can't remember what/who/when etc..
Old 27-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

My T4 is a very modified touring car item and produces very good power....

1.0 bar is 392bhp (Area52)

1.8 bar is 498bhp (Area52)

2.1 bar was 562bhp (nobles)

Both rolling road pub figures but it makes good power
Old 27-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingy
My T4 is a very modified touring car item and produces very good power....

1.0 bar is 392bhp (Area52)

1.8 bar is 498bhp (Area52)

2.1 bar was 562bhp (nobles)

Both rolling road pub figures but it makes good power

Turbo must be poorly - these should make 680bhp @ 2.0 bar .

I have to agree with Santa Claus, that it was likely a slip of the tongue, and he meant 580bhp (but still not at 2.0 bar ).

The power was enhanced by running toluene, allowing lots of ignition and big boost levels, so 580bhp is just about believable on these exotic fuel mixes. But I bet that would still be qualifying boost, and you'd turn it all down to 520-540 for the race to prevent risk of engine failure.... On the right gearing, that would still be good enough for 300km/h or 186mph with a long enough straight.
Old 27-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

Mike my engine is on 97 ron fuel and on a rolling road.

Race fuel and perfect conditions in a dyno would see over 600bhp no doubt.

Plus race engines are normally built for that racing so on the limit....not 20,000 miles.
Old 27-01-2012, 09:12 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Turbo must be poorly - these should make 680bhp @ 2.0 bar .

I have to agree with Santa Claus, that it was likely a slip of the tongue, and he meant 580bhp (but still not at 2.0 bar ).

The power was enhanced by running toluene, allowing lots of ignition and big boost levels, so 580bhp is just about believable on these exotic fuel mixes. But I bet that would still be qualifying boost, and you'd turn it all down to 520-540 for the race to prevent risk of engine failure.... On the right gearing, that would still be good enough for 300km/h or 186mph with a long enough straight.
Paul who raced mine told me the turbo could last as little as 2 laps in qualifying setup.

The mechanics were given special gloves to allow them to switch turbos quickly without it melting to their hands!
Old 27-01-2012, 09:22 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rsmat
To me it reads what ever the rumour of you've been told... It sounds bullshit
Totally agree.

Originally Posted by santaclaus
To my eyes would bare fruit that , johnson may have meant 580 not 680 in that interview , slip of the tongue etc
Totally agree.

Last edited by XRT_si; 27-01-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: The Cosworth Sierra touring car engines?