General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

st200 slight miss?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 PM
jay simpson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default st200 slight miss?

hi again all one more problem i would love to sort out is the slight missfire or hesitation i have on my st 200 when i start to apply some throttle i get a few dead spots llike a complete stopeage of the engine for a millisecond hard to explain but like when you have a damp set of leads and you give the engine some power to pull and then a sort of miss hapenns ,it does also seem quite lumpy at times on tickover, now i dont know when it was serviced last but the leads do look ols as they have the writing wearing away on them,as for the plugs again dont know when these were changed,so could this be that it needs a service or does it sound like something else ,i will add the engine is exellent sounds smooth , any help would be great as id love to get it running a1 cheers
Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It's common for them to suffer from ignition issues. Plugs, leads and coilpacks can all fail and give these symptoms. When you have problems it's wise to replace them in one go, otherwise you can 'push' the problem from one to the next.

The TPS can also give these symptoms. Annoyingly Ford won't let you buy the TPS by itself, and make you buy the whole throttle body at great expense. You can Google Mondeo (or Contour) SVT throttle position sensor and buy one from America. I did a few years back and it was £25 quid. Did take a bit of searching though.

Could be worth you logging into www.talkford.com and asking on there as there are a fair few ST200 owners.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 PM
jay simpson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
It's common for them to suffer from ignition issues. Plugs, leads and coilpacks can all fail and give these symptoms. When you have problems it's wise to replace them in one go, otherwise you can 'push' the problem from one to the next.

The TPS can also give these symptoms. Annoyingly Ford won't let you buy the TPS by itself, and make you buy the whole throttle body at great expense. You can Google Mondeo (or Contour) SVT throttle position sensor and buy one from America. I did a few years back and it was £25 quid. Did take a bit of searching though.

Could be worth you logging into www.talkford.com and asking on there as there are a fair few ST200 owners.
ok thanks i,ll try them first and hope for the best
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I would change spark plugs leads and coil pack.If you get the right size extentions for a ratchet you can remove the rear spark plugs without taking the inlet manifold off like ford say.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn.
I would change spark plugs leads and coil pack.If you get the right size extentions for a ratchet you can remove the rear spark plugs without taking the inlet manifold off like ford say.
Agree with that. It's a bit of a fiddle, but is possible