General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ford service

Search this Thread

Old 14-11-2011, 09:00 PM
eva de silva
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford service

it worth putting my car into ford garage to have major service done 80000 miles 2002 focus st 170. might point is what do they i couldnt do myself and am i just paying for the ford stamp in my service book? £310 by the way for major service not including parts if i need them. and what will they check for
Old 14-11-2011, 09:29 PM
daz-cos
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldent bother with ford just go to a good local garage will be half the price mate
Old 14-11-2011, 10:52 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Or just do it yourself and it will be cheaper period, to be honest servicing is a doddle and I quiet enjoy it.

The last one I done I brought a genuine "Ford service kit off Ebay", thus am fitting the very same stuff Ford would if they serviced it, this includes all filters, i.e. pollen,oil air filter, fuel filter and everything else you need to do the job, some even throw in oil, but I preferred to use my own.

I record everything I do and the milliage etc, so it's not like there is no service history, plus mine is far more detailed than a stamp in a book

I really can't understand why people go the main dealers and pay through the roof when there are doing just the same job anyone else could.

Martin
Old 15-11-2011, 12:03 AM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Or just do it yourself and it will be cheaper period, to be honest servicing is a doddle and I quiet enjoy it.

The last one I done I brought a genuine "Ford service kit off Ebay", thus am fitting the very same stuff Ford would if they serviced it, this includes all filters, i.e. pollen,oil air filter, fuel filter and everything else you need to do the job, some even throw in oil, but I preferred to use my own.

I record everything I do and the milliage etc, so it's not like there is no service history, plus mine is far more detailed than a stamp in a book

I really can't understand why people go the main dealers and pay through the roof when there are doing just the same job anyone else could.

Martin

Mainly because if you have a car that has FDSH you may have a chance of a comeback if all is not well and it will sell for more, if you say I popped down to Halfords and did it myself you have no chance. No matter how good your records are, I'd treat them as shite if I was a buyer tbh. Anyone can claim xyz, not saying main dealers are great, but at least it is verifiable that someone did something and it is stamped.

As for an 80k 170, I’d do it myself, no great loss in value.
Old 15-11-2011, 07:48 AM
tee-rex
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

local independant or do it yourself, people pay to much of a premium for a dealer stamped book, A guy i know purchased a 2007 bmw m5 fully stamped up book from stratstone bmw 68k miles, i put a new n/s track rod end on it for him, he was slightly miffed that it needed anything doing to it as it had always been serviced by bmw i told him to contact stratstone to see if there was any work outstanding on it, they told him there was £4.5k of work defered on it like discs and bells all the way round plus quite alot of things.
Unfortunatly for him there is little he can do, private seller who sold the car with a fully stamped book has done nothing wrong legally he sold his car with a years mot and recently serviced so fully roadworthy at the time even the private warrenty he got won't cover any defered work so really a dealer stamped book is worth no more than an independant. more important than pretty stamps in a book is a workshop jobcard for every workshop visit to verify what was done and what was defered. how many cars get sold on the strength of dealer stamps and no supporting paperwork car dealers seem to lose all that paperwork but manage to keep the service book.
As said above if you feel confident enough diy or local independant.