General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Welding Plates over PCD holes and Re-drilling Steel Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:19 AM
McGoo 69
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welding Plates over PCD holes and Re-drilling Steel Wheels?

Just a quick one

ive bought some 15x9 wellers for my e30 and there in the big 6 stud 4x4 fitment.

i want to weld a plate over the existing holes on the front of the wheel im not to arsed about a weld being visable on the rim. then i can "plug" the existing mounting holes from the rear then re drill them

i know this has been done before, and if people can cut a steel wheel in half "band" it then weld it up then im sure doing this shouldnt be a problem either

so me question is does any know anyone who can do this for me?

if not i can get the plates welded over at a fabrication shop, then i just need a company who can accuratly re-drill my wheels so there central. anyone know anybody who can help me out?

cheers
Old 11-11-2011, 04:11 AM
B19 JUB

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i know it doesnt help u fella but theres an engineer near me who widened the hub holes on my audi rims.was chatting to him and he has done that before for people where they bought different wheels.instead of a plate he welded up the holes and drilled new ones.do a google for engineers in your area
Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 AM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you would stand a lot better chance of getting the plates central to wheel if you either water jetted or laser cut incorporating both hole centre,s so you could bolt on the new bolt pattern weld around the plate then take the bolts out of the holes you do not need then plug weld them .

would be extremely hard to just weld & drill a plate in the right place .
Old 11-11-2011, 07:36 AM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

worth buying some spacers with the correct pcd for the new wheels
then you can use them to mark the new holes.

if you get a proper hubcentric spacer you could weld it to the wheel?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 AM
the mk1 kid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about cutting the whole centre section out of each rim and welding in that from a steel e30 rim?

I would imagine it might be a little time consuming, but something you should, in theory be able to get right yourself if you are careful. You could make a basic jig to ensure you get everything level and dead centre.

Tom
Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 AM
carcollector
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

the sorta bodgery that can get people killed.....a NO GO imho.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:44 AM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually steels have the material around the bolts pressed to a shape to increase the strength. Just drilling holes in flat steel ent really good enough IMO.

Although I seem to remember the 4x4 wellers are flat around the holes. Best talk to a fabricator mate

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-2011, 10:28 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

just get some spacers that allow for different pcd's.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

absolutely no imo, all steel wheels are pressed out for the holes i had the same issue recently with 3.75" pcd wheels i had to just get small triumph steelies and use them, just get the proper wheels to fit or get some proper hub centric adaptor spacers.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
absolutely no imo, all steel wheels are pressed out for the holes i had the same issue recently with 3.75" pcd wheels i had to just get small triumph steelies and use them, just get the proper wheels to fit or get some proper hub centric adaptor spacers.
If you're wanting to run bigger wheels on the front of your dragster the mgf and mg tf have the same pcd.

To the OP

A few people on the transit forum have used landrover wellers and re drilled because of having a very similar pcd but these wheels you have will havea huge centre bore which will make re drilling impossible?

I can't see why you couldn't have a metal plate same thickness as the wheel welded over the front? It could also be welded on the back inside every nut hole too for extra strength. You can also have the right centre bore drilled too.
It might end up costing a fair bit in the end though and they also might take some balancing!!

Gavin.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:46 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

What a dumb and dangerous idea.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Derby_Gav
If you're wanting to run bigger wheels on the front of your dragster the mgf and mg tf have the same pcd.

To the OP

A few people on the transit forum have used landrover wellers and re drilled because of having a very similar pcd but these wheels you have will havea huge centre bore which will make re drilling impossible?

I can't see why you couldn't have a metal plate same thickness as the wheel welded over the front? It could also be welded on the back inside every nut hole too for extra strength. You can also have the right centre bore drilled too.
It might end up costing a fair bit in the end though and they also might take some balancing!!

Gavin.
i have mgf wheels i bought and there no good, holes are far too big and completely the wrong offset.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

if they can put men on the moon im sure welding a wheel up and redrilling within balance wouldnt be beyond a decent professional engineers ability. no reason why it would be unsafe if done right but id guess it might cost a bit.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
if they can put men on the moon im sure welding a wheel up and redrilling within balance wouldnt be beyond a decent professional engineers ability. no reason why it would be unsafe if done right but id guess it might cost a bit.
Ever wonder why you never see wheel centres welded ? Apart from scrapheap challenge of course.

I dont understand why people buy wheels they know wont ever fit, then come up with such stupid fucking ideas to try and make them fit.

Just buy a wheel that fits !!!

What next, you'll start welding brake discs together ?
Old 13-11-2011, 04:04 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

imo you would be far far better just have some 15 inch e30 steelies banded to the width you want mate

get in touch with ff snapper ade brennan , hes got a contact for a company who are manufacturing banded steels

beef
Old 15-11-2011, 09:40 PM
McGoo 69

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cheers for the comments guys, im not intrested in the "it carnt be done" comments as i know it can as its been done.

i wont be doing any cutting just welding a new plate over, plugging the holes and re drilling so there will be no strength loss as i wont be loosing any material

banding wheels isnt a option as its expensive for what it is and they wont be as strong as wellers.

imo this must be safer than banding provided there drilled properly
Old 16-11-2011, 06:30 PM
neil73
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

A mate of mine has a engineering shop, he's done some landrover steels for the transit lads, I've sent him the link to this so if he can help he'll post up