General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

motorway speed limit set to be raised to 80mph

Search this Thread

Old 30-09-2011, 04:52 PM
xr2imetalhead
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its a great idea but as they said on question time last nite the penalty for going over 80 will be very harsh.
Old 30-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

good idea. which is precisely why im not convinced it will happen.

the eco CUNTS will present some very concise arguement about how we are all using 0.00000001 tonnes extra CO2 per year because of the speed increase, and some gay anti-speed/road safety group will present some arguement that more people will die.
Old 30-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

About time,

I maybe wrong, but the only reason the 70 limit was introduces was because someone drove a shelby cobra up the M1 at 100MPH+ shortly after is was 1st opened.

back then cars had drum brakes the size of bottle tops and no safety features to think of.

today modern cars are probably more suited to cruising at 80mph and can stop in shorter distances than the highway code states. For example, a Mercedes McLaren SLR can stop in the same distance when doing 120 that the highway code says you can stop doing 6o mph
plus think of all the safety equipment in modern cars in comparison.

its a no brainer, but i fear, like warren said the eco mentalists will scupper the plan
Old 30-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

Just one gripe with lorry men is when they ass hog each other which means if there is a gap to overtake one lorry at a time you cant so you get people frustrated then they do mad shit like have to take all two or three lorrys in one go ! think we need to look at driving as a skill and be good at it not just a to b durping along without a thought.
Old 30-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mcst
They are saying that with the increase to 80 there will be stronger enforcement. I've said for ages that they should increase it, i also think that on some NSL roads there is room for a reduction to 50.

As for slip roads - moving over to let people merge?
Did i learn from a different Highway code to some of you? I was taught that you match your speed to that on the road you are joining and merge in a suitable space.
You can't merge into a suitable space if there isn't one,this happens fairly regular,

match speed

Look to my right

No space

Have to slow down till there is one....

Whenever I'm on the motorway etc and a slip road is coming up I look to see if anyone is joining and move over to middle lane,simple realy

There is just a general lack of common courtesy and manners on todays roads.....
Old 30-09-2011, 07:53 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its a good idea, modern cars handle better, brake better(by a long way over a ford angle box with drum brakes) as the 70 mph limit is based on, but I think big motor ways should have speeds faster 90 to 100 MPH, all lorries must be restricted to one lane or 2 on the 4 lane motor ways and they should have a small increase to 70 Mph no more.

all major motor ways should have full traffic management, when traffic is bad full radar speed control with signs.

just my thoughts
Old 30-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
its a good idea, modern cars handle better, brake better(by a long way over a ford angle box with drum brakes) as the 70 mph limit is based on, but I think big motor ways should have speeds faster 90 to 100 MPH, all lorries must be restricted to one lane or 2 on the 4 lane motor ways and they should have a small increase to 70 Mph no more.

all major motor ways should have full traffic management, when traffic is bad full radar speed control with signs.

just my thoughts
What he said

And if someone wants to buy an eve his wife should let him...
Old 30-09-2011, 08:55 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cragrat
What he said

And if someone wants to buy an eve his wife should let him...

lol

yes

Old 30-09-2011, 09:39 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

it's a good publicity stunt that appears to be giving the average man on the street something back, when all it will do is have you pay more tax from the increased fuel consumption. but you have a choice to go that fast or not, so i would welcome it.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Guinnless
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
its matching your speed thats the problem when you can only do 56 lol and bearly get to that by the end on the slip road and your faced with some dick that will not move over! what are you meant to do come to a stop on the slip road no you pull out any way then the car driver who should have just moved over thinks you have pulled out on him as he was being a knob in the first place

Err the end of the slip road is a "Give Way". If it's not clear you are supposed to stop.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:26 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

There is a shocking lack of understanding of the highway code on this thread.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

I dont really see the point. But had to laugh at some arsehole on Radio 2 the other day. Now it was terrible that her daughter was involved in a fatal accident on an A-road which she alleges was due to speed. However, when she said someone rear ended her daughter....that doesnt strike me as speed causing the accident.
And her rants about speed....well, maybe she totally missed the fact that the debate was over speed on motorways. Not A roads.
It just goes to show the brainwashed mentality of some people when it comes to speed.

But I dont think raising it will make any real difference to industry. Most vans and lorries have little need or cannot go 70mph anyway. The time difference it would make to any of their journeys is negligible, so what is the point ?
It would make more sense just to install some common sense into speed enforcement. ie, Give cops brains, discretion, common sense. etc. These 3 things are just lacking with many officers.

It's clear to see that 80mph on an empty motorway in good conditions is totally and utterly safe.

Whereas 70mph on a very wet rainy dark day in busy traffic is not totally safe.

Better education is also what's needed for motorists, and this thread fully backs that up.
People talk about a "fast lane" ? What is a fast lane ?

There is no such thing on our roads. Motorways have many lanes. The correct lane to drive in is the inside lane, unless you are overtaking or making way for others entering via slip roads.

And with the plethora of ANPR cameras installed everywhere to spy on people with no other real usage at present.
Why not install them on motorways to punish drivers hogging the wrong lanes when the inside lane is empty ? This will get traffic flowing better than anything else. And if they also installed sniper systems on these cameras to execute lane hoggers, or people who stop for no reason at filter lanes etc. then some real dangers would be removed from the roads, and road transport would become much faster and safer for everyone else.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 01-10-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chat shit how do work that out then and i see the same of you mate!. And your one of the spelling police are you i really do think guys like you and very patronizing! and your right there are many useless truck drivers but many more useless car drivers! I was talking about when your almost at the end of the slip road flat out at 56 and poeple will not move over to let you on the moterway what do you do stop lol. And no you dont stop you slow down or speed up (if your looking at what your doing and thinking ahead this is an easy thing to do!) so the truck can join the road as him stopping on the slip road or half on the motorway and haveing to re start from rest is a lot more dangerous
You've just proved it lol. No one is saying stop, fuck sake, learn to read! The most dangerous thing is some mug in a lorry pulling out at 50 into a lane doing 70. I'm not one of the 'spelling police' just pointing out that your posts make you look like you have the writing skill of a 5 year old lol.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
You've just proved it lol. No one is saying stop, fuck sake, learn to read! The most dangerous thing is some mug in a lorry pulling out at 50 into a lane doing 70. I'm not one of the 'spelling police' just pointing out that your posts make you look like you have the writing skill of a 5 year old lol.
Speed isnt the danger there. Lane discipline and observation is.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 434 Likes on 392 Posts

so what are you meant to do then mate? your on the slip road your doing 50 you carnt speed up or slow down like a car and your almost at the end?its only going to end one way isent it thats pulling onto the road if the guy next to you carnt see that then what are you meant to do as you seem to have all the answers my point is if your switched on you would have moved over or slowed down so he can get out before you get the side of your car ripped off! And guess what having poor writing skills dosent affect my life at all lol other than on this sight with cocks like you lol

Last edited by ajamesc; 01-10-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Guinnless

so what are you meant to do then mate? your on the slip road your doing 50 you carnt speed up or slow down like a car and your almost at the end?its only going to end one way isent it thats pulling onto the road if the guy next to you carnt see that then what are you meant to do as you seem to have all the answers my point is if your switched on you would have moved over or slowed down so he can get out before you get the side of your car ripped off! And guess what having poor writing skills dosent affect my life at all lol other than on this sight with cocks like you lol
What you're meant to do is stop not pull out onto the main carriageway and fuck anybody that's in your way.

The slip road doesn't suddenly get switched off, you can see where it ends so plan accordingly.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by Guinnless
What you're meant to do is stop not pull out onto the main carriageway and fuck anybody that's in your way.

The slip road doesn't suddenly get switched off, you can see where it ends so plan accordingly.
yep thats one option stopping but then you will have to pull on to the motorway from 0 if your already at the end of the slip road do you no how long it takes for a 42ton tractor and trailer to get to 56? because the next car will soon be along at 70 when you will be doing about 20 and your right it dosent get suddenly switched off and you can plan accordingly but not very quickly in a truck so if do get court short as there is a lot of traffic your stuck
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by syko2005
What a load of shite. Most lorry drivers whack the indicator on and change lanes while doing so. Car drivers don't get chance to react unless they are mind readers
Disagree. id say thats most people not reading the road ahead.i can travel at an excess speed and still be safe.i take into account what is goong on ahead.never had an english lorry pull out on me dangerously.only lhd ones.and i say thats them not spotting me beside them. i have more problems with cars drivers not using mirrors.and indicators tbh.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Guinnless

yep thats one option stopping but then you will have to pull on to the motorway from 0 if your already at the end of the slip road do you no how long it takes for a 42ton tractor and trailer to get to 56? because the next car will soon be along at 70 when you will be doing about 20 and your right it dosent get suddenly switched off and you can plan accordingly but not very quickly in a truck so if do get court short as there is a lot of traffic your stuck
I have driven artics and I do realise it's a pain but it doesn't give you the right to pull out anyway. You do have the height advantage though for a good view and an early signal and position will encourage any day-dreaming drivers in lane 1 to move into lane 2 if possible.

Mind you the last outfit I drove was a Leyland Cruiser - normal H pattern shift with a switch on the gear lever for the two-speed axle plus a crawler gear. And a massive 230bhp
Old 01-10-2011, 02:05 PM
bj928
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

i was always taught that if you run out of slip road use the hard shoulder for just as long as you need it, not drive on it all the way, just till your at speed and or a gap is available, thats what i have always done, and it works, anyone who stops on the slip when the traffic is travelling at speed needs shooting, car or truck, you don't stop,

and it seems there are 2 drivers, truck drivers who are road aware and can read the road to know when a truck is about to pull out, so has never and will never have an issue with a truck just pulling out, the other driver is a car driver who has never been in or driven a loaded truck, and hasn't a clue how they operate or the space they need, what is needed is for these car drivers to go in a truck for a few days and see it from the other side, they will soon understand that most the time, not always, but most the time, its them not reading the road not the truck driver, its not the car drivers fault, they know no different because they haven't been taught.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

it wont make much difference having an 80 limit. ill still be weaving in and out of all lanes including the hard shoulder averaging 130.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Are you just acting the fool, or are you totally ignorant? I happily move over for people joining the motorway, I use the motorway everyday, and move over if possible. But, it's not my responsibility to let people join, and sometimes in traffic, I can't move anywhere! What do you expect me to do then? Anchor up on a live carriageway? No thanks! Because that is very dangerous, and could easily cause a pile up.
Do you take all of life so seriously . Get a life & join in the banter, but please dont take it all to heart. Theres more shite talked per second on here than most other Forums just take a big breath & try to stay calm.
Get in my way & i will push you to the fast lane like it or not .
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

yes its annoying but like it or not and regardless of the practicalities, vehicles joining from the slip road are still required to give way.

A solution that a lot of newer roads have is the slip road on ramp turns into its own lane for a mile or so meaning that people can build up speed and filter in normally. Then the outside lane terminates leaving it back as a normal motorway.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Or do like the Germans and make it the other way round so that those on the motor way are required to move over to allow people to join.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Anyone suggesting to stop for no sensible reason on a slip road needs their license revoked immediately. that is one of the biggest dangers on the roads !!

I had some arsehole stop in front of me where the M6 and M1 meet for fucks sake !!! How it never caused a massive pile up is beyond me.
Perfectly smooth flowing traffic, and they just stopped right in the middle
Old 01-10-2011, 06:42 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

my ex once totally stopped on the inside lane to flash someone out who was sitting at the end of a slip road. she couldnt understand why i was shouting at her as trucks swerved to avoid us.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlosST3
Or do like the Germans and make it the other way round so that those on the motor way are required to move over to allow people to join.
no they don't, they do this:

Originally Posted by bj928
i was always taught that if you run out of slip road use the hard shoulder for just as long as you need it,
Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

When ever I drove out there they have always moved over with out fail. Not drove out there much like.

Thats how it is meant to be then? A good thing but we couldn't do it as the hard shoulder would have some random mong having a piss/using the phone/filled with road work equipment and cones
Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

but then your idea of making people let people out wouldnt work because all the businessmen in rep mobiles, the BMW twats and chavs etc would tank it down the slip road at 90 + and swerve straight into lane 3 causing complete fucking carnage

the problem on our roads is generally NOT the laws, but the complete fucking mongs that make up the majority of our population.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
but then your idea of making people let people out wouldnt work because all the businessmen in rep mobiles, the BMW twats and chavs etc would tank it down the slip road at 90 + and swerve straight into lane 3 causing complete fucking carnage

the problem on our roads is generally NOT the laws, but the complete fucking mongs that make up the majority of our population.
Do they not do that already?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Speed isnt the danger there. Lane discipline and observation is.
I agree!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by MadRod
Get in my way & i will push you to the fast lane like it or not .
If I'm honest Rod, if I ever saw you trying to push anyone along any piece of road, I'd stick the Landy infront of you. Would love to see how that fancy spec-r cooler does against 2+ tons of box section.
Tbh, I used to have a lot of respect for you, til I started reading your posts on here. You tell me to get a life, when all you go on about is a 20-odd year old Sierra. Change the record mate!

As for ajamesc, I genuinely cannot be bothered trying to say anything to you. Clearly nothing goes in.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I,d rather see a lorry having to slow or stop on a slip road or any vehicle for that matter (you are 'giving way') than a lorry entering out on the motorway because they didnt want to stop and then risk causing an accident .Of course nobody in there right mind wants or likes sitting still while traffic is passing as your coming up a slip road and yes it,ll be dangerous to sit still but an accident may of been prevented before another one could do. No sense in risking something now because later we might be in another risky situation .
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by opposite lock
I,d rather see a lorry having to slow or stop on a slip road or any vehicle for that matter (you are 'giving way') than a lorry entering out on the motorway because they didnt want to stop and then risk causing an accident .Of course nobody in there right mind wants or likes sitting still while traffic is passing as your coming up a slip road and yes it,ll be dangerous to sit still but an accident may of been prevented before another one could do. No sense in risking something now because later we might be in another risky situation .
And once again an idiot today nearly causes a crash by stopping at the end of a filter lane. And more amazingly, the road was totally fucking clear !!!!

Stopping then trying to accelerate from standstill to merge with traffic is far far more dangerous than using your eyes and brain in order to filter in.

Ive been driving over 20 years, and covered well over a million miles in that time. Never have I had to come to a stop on a filter lane except when forced to do so by an arsehole stopping in front of me, or if the traffic on the main road was already at a standstill due to traffic etc. In which case of course it is safe.

What you are suggesting they do by stopping is far far more dangerous than doing what they are supposed to do which is merge in with the traffic. If they need to use the hard shoulder, then that is absolutely the safer option than stopping..
Old 02-10-2011, 05:46 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I,m not suggesting anyone should stop unless totally nessary of course , which is where the subject can give us all different view and opinions on this , i was talking about a situation like some others on the thread have said 'they'd pull out on people' . If this was meant in a safe way like merging in the traffic thats fine obviously and sometimes its gonna be close but still a reasonable skilled piece of driving from an artic driver or car . All i was trying to get across was i,d rather any driver stop if its absolutley needed instead of some comments suggesting they have the right of way they have 40 tonnes on board i,m coming through scenario .
Have the upmost respect for HGV drivers i,ve been one myself too i just read a few above posts saying they would pull out n 'push' you out the way . 99% of the time the room is there to merge and someone has to be deceicive and positive . Its a fine line .

No offence intented to anybody anywhere sorry if i have done.
Mike

Last edited by opposite lock; 02-10-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If I am joining the motor way and I can see the middle lane is free and some numpty won't move over to that lane to allow me to join I will move over till they think "Fuck!" and shift over as that is much safer than coming to a stop and then setting off again and joining the motorway at 10-15-20 mph where some other numpty not driving defensively would rear end me and likely to have their head taken off after going under the back of the trailer.

Same thing if you stop on the filter lane, some one will be looking in the mirror ready to pull out and then "SHIT!!!!!" hits a stationary truck and dies on the filter lane.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

If I'm honest Rod, if I ever saw you trying to push anyone along any piece of road, I'd stick the Landy infront of you. Would love to see how that fancy spec-r cooler does against 2+ tons of box section.
Tbh, I used to have a lot of respect for you, til I started reading your posts on here. You tell me to get a life, when all you go on about is a 20-odd year old Sierra. Change the record mate!

As for ajamesc, I genuinely cannot be bothered trying to say anything to you. Clearly nothing goes in.
i would put how you really come across to me but dont want to get banned so i will just leave it
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

If I'm honest Rod, if I ever saw you trying to push anyone along any piece of road,

I'd stick the Landy infront of you.
Would love to see how that fancy spec-r cooler does against 2+ tons of box section.
Glass Houses??
Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by focusv8
Glass Houses??
He said he'd push someone 'into the fast lane', I'd happily let him in the Landy, I just wouldn't move and the only push would be him trying to get his now broken Sierra onto a recovery truck. That's all I'm saying lol.

Although, my first reply was a tad wrong, because I read what he'd written wrong. My bad.

Last edited by zetec-Sam; 02-10-2011 at 08:01 PM.