General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

motorway speed limit set to be raised to 80mph

Search this Thread

Old 29-09-2011, 07:48 PM
jasper jones
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motorway speed limit set to be raised to 80mph

Just seen this on the news http://www.channel4.com/news/motorwa...aised-to-80mph

Do you think it will ever happen,or will all the do gooders stop it?
Also do you think every one will then want to drive at 90 MPH ?
Old 29-09-2011, 07:57 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

will be at least two years away though.
i reckon it will happen to be honest, the angle they are using is less time on the road and more time being a productive country.
Old 29-09-2011, 07:58 PM
RSricRS
Long live the ford RS'S

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Greater speeds for lorries to pull out on you!!! Rant over.
Old 29-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

There's a speed limit?.....
Old 29-09-2011, 08:10 PM
RSricRS
Long live the ford RS'S

Originally Posted by Cragrat
There's a speed limit?.....
Of course there is it's 70mph! Everyone does 70. Lol.
Old 29-09-2011, 08:25 PM
mark_24v_wiring
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by RSricRS
Greater speeds for lorries to pull out on you!!! Rant over.
Blame who ever it was for making the lorrys do 56mph then
Old 29-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Means stupid car drivers not paying attention to truck indicators and get pulled out on have to react quicker.
Old 29-09-2011, 08:38 PM
McGoo 69
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best news ive herd for along time.
Old 29-09-2011, 09:00 PM
RSricRS
Long live the ford RS'S

Originally Posted by CarlosST3
Means stupid car drivers not paying attention to truck indicators and get pulled out on have to react quicker.
What a load of shite! Lol
Old 29-09-2011, 09:01 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

means more taxes for the goverment
Old 29-09-2011, 09:13 PM
PileOfRust

my car would be nigh-on flat out at that speed fml
Old 29-09-2011, 09:26 PM
syko2005
burning oil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarlosST3
What a load of shite. Most lorry drivers whack the indicator on and change lanes while doing so. Car drivers don't get chance to react unless they are mind readers
Old 29-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I must be a rarity then. But I will admit that if the daft twat does not pay attention and the outside lane is empty then i move over.
Should be more aware of what is around them and probably the same twats that knock bikers off as they have no idea of whats going on.
Old 29-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Chaz888

most of us do that speed on M ways, anyhow of course not bypasse's or anything else lol so yes a good idear which means it wont happen.

Last edited by Chaz888; 29-09-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 29-09-2011, 09:54 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_24v_wiring
Blame who ever it was for making the lorrys do 56mph then
lol why would you rather 42 tons went up the back of you or had to stop quickly at 70mph
Old 29-09-2011, 09:58 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

What a load of shite! Lol
your meant to move over and give way anyway lol your not going to stop on a slip road and go up through the gears again because some fool (not saying you after your crash) wont move out the slow lane into the middle lane! car drivers can be just as much to blame as the truck drivers! they seem to think the truck and trailer is just as easy to move about as a small car lol
Old 29-09-2011, 10:45 PM
escoskmv
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

average speed on the motoway is 90/ 100 mph in the fast lane. if you did the speed limit in the fast lane you would end up with some cunt ramed up your arse. and people that sit in the middle lane when the inside lane is clear realy fucks me off rant over lol
Old 29-09-2011, 10:49 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by ajamesc
your meant to move over and give way anyway lol your not going to stop on a slip road and go up through the gears again because some fool (not saying you after your crash) wont move out the slow lane into the middle lane! car drivers can be just as much to blame as the truck drivers! they seem to think the truck and trailer is just as easy to move about as a small car lol
No you're not, go and read the highway code before spouting shite!
And they're talking about the common occurence of lorries flashing the indicator on and swinging out, something I see most days! It's dangerous as fuck!
Old 29-09-2011, 11:12 PM
McGoo 69

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im sorry but if you see a truck on a slip road or anything for that matter you move over into the middle lane and let them catch up with the flow of traffic

imo that should be done wayyy before youve come into any conflict with people on the slip road..

on the other hand though alot of people enter the motorway too slow, the slip road is there to gain speed so yo can join the flow of traffic without causing people to brake
Old 30-09-2011, 04:06 AM
bj928

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

lol why would you rather 42 tons went up the back of you or had to stop quickly at 70mph
the trucks legally travel at 75mph in some american states, and thats with upto 3 trailers, never see any problems, even in heavy traffic, buts as a non truck driver i'm sure you are right, as are all non truck drivers, they all no best even though most them rant about truck drivers have never been in anything bigger than a transit for any length of time, but still no best
Old 30-09-2011, 06:47 AM
RSricRS
Long live the ford RS'S

Hang the fuck on a minute here chaps, your just about passing a lorry when the fucking fool decides to just pull out on you! He didn't even see me just pulled straight the stupid tosser.

Carlosst3 am guessing your a wagon driver?

And as mentioned above, can you imagine a lorry carrying 20+tonne doing over 56mph? 56mph is more than enough.

Personaly I reckon they should leave it at 70mph raising the limit will cause more accident injuries when the silly wagon drivers pull out on you!!!!!
Old 30-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't start me off on truck drivers....we all need them otherwise we would never get anything anywhere I accept, but blocking two lanes of the motorway for 5 miles whilst overtaking etc....as I said, don't start me off. And of course, there is the other point that some daft cunt driving 44 tonne of artic ran straight over the top of my car last year on the M1 when I was driving on the inside lane in the contraflow (50mph) because 'he didn't even see me' as he pulled straight into my lane and over the top of me.

So please, don't be telling me that we need to look out for trucks. They're the ones with 44 tonne of metal that don't even realise when they've literally driven over the top of another vehicle and have to flagged down and stopped to be told what they did. They should be more wary than anyone else.
Old 30-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hang the fuck on a minute here chaps, your just about passing a lorry when the fucking fool decides to just pull out on you! He didn't even see me just pulled straight the stupid tosser.

Carlosst3 am guessing your a wagon driver?

And as mentioned above, can you imagine a lorry carrying 20+tonne doing over 56mph? 56mph is more than enough.

Personaly I reckon they should leave it at 70mph raising the limit will cause more accident injuries when the silly wagon drivers pull out on you!!!!!
I am mate yeah. A mix of normal and heavy haulage so can be 120tonne + some times. When i am doing heavy haulage we are limited to 40mph due to the weight.
With regards to safety look at Germany, has a far better safety record than our roads with higher speed limits and "recomended speed limits" but at the same time have a different style and attitude to driving I guess.

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Don't start me off on truck drivers....we all need them otherwise we would never get anything anywhere I accept, but blocking two lanes of the motorway for 5 miles whilst overtaking etc....as I said, don't start me off. And of course, there is the other point that some daft cunt driving 44 tonne of artic ran straight over the top of my car last year on the M1 when I was driving on the inside lane in the contraflow (50mph) because 'he didn't even see me' as he pulled straight into my lane and over the top of me.

So please, don't be telling me that we need to look out for trucks. They're the ones with 44 tonne of metal that don't even realise when they've literally driven over the top of another vehicle and have to flagged down and stopped to be told what they did. They should be more wary than anyone else.
I know of a few drivers that don't give a fuck and its a daft attitude to have. Most have been driving that long and seen and had that many problems with car drivers that they have stopped caring (probably).

The over taking thing is annoying as fook! If I am overtaken by a truck marginilly faster I back off till he is past and put my foot down again. I feel a right cunt sat in the middle lane trying to get past
Old 30-09-2011, 07:25 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
No you're not, go and read the highway code before spouting shite!
And they're talking about the common occurence of lorries flashing the indicator on and swinging out, something I see most days! It's dangerous as fuck!
i take it your one of the fools then
Old 30-09-2011, 07:59 AM
david 100

When i started truck driving over 25 years ago we would oftern drive 60 to 65 mph, some of us would touch 75 mph early in the morning when no one was about, there was no trafic building up behind trucks doing 56 mph becuse if we got behind a truck doing 50 mph we could pass it at 60 mph and get back in the slow lane, but looking at some of the truck drivers today we best lower the speed limit of truck to about 25 mph.

I am not having a go at truck drivers as i am one but i am sure many truck drivers on here will know what i am talking about.

Last edited by david 100; 30-09-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:10 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

You get good and bad truck drivers, just as much as you get good and bad car drivers, so it's a bit of a pointless arguement really.

I think this is potentially good idea. It would bring us in line with much of Europe, and our motorways are pretty safe.

However, I think the economic arguements are a bit weak. It will generate more tax revenue (increased fuel use), but will it get us anywhere any quicker? I'm not so sure. I often do 300-odd motorway miles a week, and a slow speed limit isn't what's slowing us down. What's slowing us down is morons who can't drive (middle lane hoggers and the like), and the fact our road network just can't cope.

We've got stretches of roadworks on the M6 and M1 that have been going on for YEARS. You hit them at certain times of the day and just stop, guaranteed. What they need to be looking at is giving the Highways Agency and their contractors a good kick up the arse to sort it out. For example, does a 15+ mile stretch of the M1 near Luton need to be a 50 zone, when they only seem to be working in a tiny proportion of it at any given time?

And as for the M6 around Walsall way, well, the 80 limit would only apply for about three hours a day, cos there's sod all hope of getting above 30 a lot of the time
Old 30-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by david 100
When i started truck driving over 25 years ago we would oftern drive 60 to 65 mph, some of us would touch 75 mph early in the morning when no one was about, there was no trafic building up behind trucks doing 56 mph becuse if we got behind a truck doing 50 mph we could pass it at 60 mph and get back in the slow lane, but looking at some of the truck drivers today we best lower the speed limit of truck to about 25 mph.

I am not having a go at truck drivers as i am one but i am sure many truck drivers on here will know what i am talking about.
At a depot the other day and some bloke could not get the trailer on the bay
Shunted that much he ended up trying to get it on blind side and gave up in the end and asked some one else to do it for him.
i know it takes time and experiance but surely there must be some kind of standard to start with?
Old 30-09-2011, 09:30 AM
mcst

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They are saying that with the increase to 80 there will be stronger enforcement. I've said for ages that they should increase it, i also think that on some NSL roads there is room for a reduction to 50.

As for slip roads - moving over to let people merge?
Did i learn from a different Highway code to some of you? I was taught that you match your speed to that on the road you are joining and merge in a suitable space.
Old 30-09-2011, 09:40 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by mcst
They are saying that with the increase to 80 there will be stronger enforcement. I've said for ages that they should increase it, i also think that on some NSL roads there is room for a reduction to 50.

As for slip roads - moving over to let people merge?
Did i learn from a different Highway code to some of you? I was taught that you match your speed to that on the road you are joining and merge in a suitable space.
its matching your speed thats the problem when you can only do 56 lol and bearly get to that by the end on the slip road and your faced with some dick that will not move over! what are you meant to do come to a stop on the slip road no you pull out any way then the car driver who should have just moved over thinks you have pulled out on him as he was being a knob in the first place
Old 30-09-2011, 10:35 AM
RSricRS
Long live the ford RS'S

I agree that there is good wagon drivers out there on our roads as well as alot of ignorant twats who have the attitude of "am bigger than you" which is absolutely shocking as one mistake will take lifes away just like the flick of a switch.

In France don't they only allow lorries to overtake on certain strech of roads/ motorways? That to me sounds a good idea.

I see things totally different on the roads now after what happened to me, to be honest it shouldn't take a accident to make you realize I know but fook me it's an eye opener.
Old 30-09-2011, 10:58 AM
BillsCossie
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

The M6 down through England seems to already avail to this proposed change 80+++!!
Old 30-09-2011, 11:12 AM
djmillsy
Fife Radge

i always thought the slip road was in fact a give way so you dont need to move over. i do when i can but some people think theyve got right of way coming from them
Old 30-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

People will still drive at 50 in the fast lane.
Old 30-09-2011, 11:29 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

i take it your one of the fools then
No offence, but you're in no position to call anyone a fool, given you chat shit in almost every thread you post in, and can't even spell some of the simplest of words, let alone construct a sentence! Even Carlos has said he knows some useless truck drivers that 'don't give a fuck', so I'm clearly not the fool.

its matching your speed thats the problem when you can only do 56 lol and bearly get to that by the end on the slip road and your faced with some dick that will not move over! what are you meant to do come to a stop on the slip road no you pull out any way then the car driver who should have just moved over thinks you have pulled out on him as he was being a knob in the first place
Are you just acting the fool, or are you totally ignorant? I happily move over for people joining the motorway, I use the motorway everyday, and move over if possible. But, it's not my responsibility to let people join, and sometimes in traffic, I can't move anywhere! What do you expect me to do then? Anchor up on a live carriageway? No thanks! Because that is very dangerous, and could easily cause a pile up.

Last edited by zetec-Sam; 30-09-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:30 PM
RSricRS
Long live the ford RS'S

The slips roads leading from service stations are the problem really, there simply not long enough! Some are literally the same length as a artic lorry which is purely down to the design engineers.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Dennis_Wiseman

I agree that there is good wagon drivers out there on our roads as well as alot of ignorant twats who have the attitude of "am bigger than you" which is absolutely shocking as one mistake will take lifes away just like the flick of a switch.

In France don't they only allow lorries to overtake on certain strech of roads/ motorways? That to me sounds a good idea.

I see things totally different on the roads now after what happened to me, to be honest it shouldn't take a accident to make you realize I know but fook me it's an eye opener.

On the other hand very few motorists give consideration towards HGV's, their size, braking distances, blind spots etc etc

IMO the biggest problem where trucks are concerned is the speed they are restricted to. It promotes hold ups and frustration especially on single carriageway roads.

If you look at the general standard of driving among truck drivers its ten times better than the average car driver.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:58 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

your meant to move over and give way anyway
not by law, the person joinging the caraigway has to give way as they are crossing the dashed lines. Was in a car that got hit by an artic changing lanes last year! the stupid driver never saw us beside him overtaking!
Old 30-09-2011, 01:11 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
No offence, but you're in no position to call anyone a fool, given you chat shit in almost every thread you post in, and can't even spell some of the simplest of words, let alone construct a sentence! Even Carlos has said he knows some useless truck drivers that 'don't give a fuck', so I'm clearly not the fool.

Are you just acting the fool, or are you totally ignorant? I happily move over for people joining the motorway, I use the motorway everyday, and move over if possible. But, it's not my responsibility to let people join, and sometimes in traffic, I can't move anywhere! What do you expect me to do then? Anchor up on a live carriageway? No thanks! Because that is very dangerous, and could easily cause a pile up.
Chat shit how do work that out then and i see the same of you mate!. And your one of the spelling police are you i really do think guys like you and very patronizing! and your right there are many useless truck drivers but many more useless car drivers! I was talking about when your almost at the end of the slip road flat out at 56 and poeple will not move over to let you on the moterway what do you do stop lol. And no you dont stop you slow down or speed up (if your looking at what your doing and thinking ahead this is an easy thing to do!) so the truck can join the road as him stopping on the slip road or half on the motorway and haveing to re start from rest is a lot more dangerous

Last edited by ajamesc; 30-09-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:19 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by chaffe
not by law, the person joinging the caraigway has to give way as they are crossing the dashed lines. Was in a car that got hit by an artic changing lanes last year! the stupid driver never saw us beside him overtaking!
no not by law to me its just being curtius and commen sense when a truck is at the end of a slip road with no where to go as hes not going to stop is he
Old 30-09-2011, 04:41 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

i hope it comes make all built up areas 30 or 20 and increase the open road speeds.

Quick Reply: motorway speed limit set to be raised to 80mph