General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Land speed record.

Search this Thread

Old 30-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Land speed record.

Saw a program on TV last night about a team developing a car to reach 1000+mph

Wish I had caught the whole program and knew more about it. However, the air is going to be forced into the jet engine by a cosworth F1 engine so something to that effect. So as far as I'm concerned the fastes car in the world will be a cossie

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/news/la..._1&cit_id=4935
Old 30-08-2011, 05:26 PM
ontheway
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's being driven by wing commander Andy Green in South Africa, i went to a two hour presentation by him at Goodwood. it was only open to members but it was extremely interesting, i have a poster all about it signed by Mr Green
Old 30-08-2011, 05:34 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Chopshop85
Saw a program on TV last night about a team developing a car to reach 1000+mph

Wish I had caught the whole program and knew more about it. However, the FUEL is going to be forced into the jet engine by a cosworth F1 engine and power the hydraulics so something to that effect. So as far as I'm concerned the fastest car in the world will include a cossie

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/news/la..._1&cit_id=4935
Edited from article.
Old 30-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the landspeed record currently?
Old 30-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't it still Andy Green in Thrust SSC where he broke the sound barrier?
Old 30-08-2011, 06:01 PM
ontheway
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea he broke the Land speed record, then broke his own again and is now aiming to break 1000mph
Old 30-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Just looked, yes it is him - 760mph
Old 30-08-2011, 06:03 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Smit
What is the landspeed record currently?
Andy Green reached 763.035 mph (1227.99 km/h)

And he holds the Diesel record as well (in a JCB) 350.092 mph (563.418 km/h)

Last edited by focusv8; 30-08-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 30-08-2011, 06:07 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Thought this was going to be a thread about Mo for a second.

I apologize but someone had to.
Old 30-08-2011, 06:14 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gjh

Originally Posted by gjh

I apologize but someone had to.
NO, DON'T appologise.
Old 30-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Originally Posted by gjh
give it time
Old 31-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by focusv8
Edited from article.
Cheers! Couldn't be bothered to read the article after watching the program about it.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:22 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Ah but can it do it at Brunters?!?

If not it doesn't count
Old 31-08-2011, 09:34 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate

If not it doesn't count
fpmsl
Old 31-08-2011, 09:43 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

If not it doesn't count
you really do have a thing about doing it at brunters dont you mate can you not see that doing a high top speed in a small distance shows how fast a car is in gear? or would you rather see a car have all the room in the world to do it because on a road car that shows fuck all really lol hence the reason brunters is a bench mark for speed testing on modded road cars!
Old 31-08-2011, 09:49 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by ajamesc
you really do have a thing about doing it at brunters dont you mate can you not see that doing a high top speed in a small distance shows how fast a car is in gear? or would you rather see a car have all the room in the world to do it because on a road car that shows fuck all really lol hence the reason brunters is a bench mark for speed testing on modded road cars!

Touched a nerve have we

Top speeds runs are a two way pass over a measured distance, anything else isn't top speed, but a constrained top speed

It may be the benchmark to you but not to me, you could make a car for brunters thT would melt on. Proper top speed run

Last edited by It's Czech Mate; 09-09-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:52 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Touched a nerve have we

Top speeds runs are a two way pass over a measured mile, anything else isn't top speed, but a constrained top speed

It may be the benchmark to you but not to me, you could make a car for brunters thT would melt on. Proper top speed run

whens it done in just 1 mile ? i thought it was more like 5 miles or something especially in the case of reaching 1000 mph ?
genuinely asking as i dont know
Old 31-08-2011, 09:56 AM
It's Czech Mate

I genuinely don't know for jet cars like that!

Brunters is more of an acceleration test IMO!
Old 31-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Found a video on youtube and The SCC Thrust was 14yrs ago! Surprised they have left such a large gap between then and next years event.
Old 31-08-2011, 10:06 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Touched a nerve have we

Top speeds runs are a two way pass over a measured mile, anything else isn't top speed, but a constrained top speed

not at all just makes me laugh how you always dis the fact people rate cars from doing there top speed at brunters i really dont get your point its a good gauge of in gear speed to be honest
Old 31-08-2011, 10:08 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

I genuinely don't know for jet cars like that!

Brunters is more of an acceleration test IMO!
acceleration test with a top speed at the end lol
Old 31-08-2011, 10:10 AM
It's Czech Mate

Totally agree AJC but it's not true top speed in my eyes for reasons stated
Old 31-08-2011, 10:16 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Totally agree AJC but it's not true top speed in my eyes for reasons stated
Well id disagree with you mate as if you have a very powerfull road car that can do its top speed in that small distance then its a good test! thats why many do it. All so many of these cars run there time and time again or ever 3 or 4 times in that one day so would not melt on your ''proper speed test'' id say to show how fast a road car is in gear its a very good test seeing how much it can get top end in that small distance!
Old 31-08-2011, 10:45 AM
It's Czech Mate

I'm sure rods for example would go much faster if it had longer to do it in as he could optimise the gearing, therefor if the cR can go faster elsewhere it isn't an outright top speed test, it's a topspeed with constraints test
Old 31-08-2011, 11:03 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

I'm sure rods for example would go much faster if it had longer to do it in as he could optimise the gearing, therefor if the cR can go faster elsewhere it isn't an outright top speed test, it's a topspeed with constraints test
Thats a fair point but its a road car and im sore his gearing is fairly close to standard and he knows what the car could do if every thing was spot on so only needs brunters which to me shows how fast cars like that are! I think playing around with gearing to make it go faster over a longer distance is cheating as it wouldent be as the car is on the road!
Old 31-08-2011, 12:27 PM
It's Czech Mate

Thats a fair point but its a road car and im sore his gearing is fairly close to standard and he knows what the car could do if every thing was spot on so only needs brunters which to me shows how fast cars like that are! I think playing around with gearing to make it go faster over a longer distance is cheating as it wouldent be as the car is on the road!
I think ur wrong. I'd say for example rod has studied the gearing very hard and geared and mapped the car to optimise performance inside the confines of brunters, with gearing and probably cooling solutions altered it would no doubt be significantly faster given sufficient room
Old 31-08-2011, 12:42 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

I think ur wrong. I'd say for example rod has studied the gearing very hard and geared and mapped the car to optimise performance inside the confines of brunters, with gearing and probably cooling solutions altered it would no doubt be significantly faster given sufficient room
im not lol i know rod very well his gearing is not far from standard and it is optimised for performance as a fast road car in mind which he found to be very near to the standard gearing and take ad young if you want to talk about cosworths as he will soon be going for 200 i beleave he has standard gearing and yes would be faster with the gearing altered but thats not the point of the car as its a road car that dose 200 in its driven on the road state that just happens to have the power to do it at brunters

Last edited by ajamesc; 31-08-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 31-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Brian ST-2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I think tbh, comparing Rod's or anyone else's car to a land speed record, specially in relation to Bloodhound, is little short of...wellll

Also, the other main reason for the delay between Thrust SSC and Bloodhound is finance, planning, physics, engineering......all of these, especially finance are really hard things to come by, before you even consider it.
I'm sure, given half the chance a lot of the guys on here would love to take their high end top speed motors onto a salt flat, or dried lake bed, but the salt flats are in Bonneville, and the lake Andy Green is driving on is as already stated in South Africa.
Pour the money into development and building of what is effectively an outlandish road car, and it doesn't leave much change left for shipping to a remote desert.........albeit credit where it's due to those concerned.

Brunters is the benchmark for all things fast on British ''roads'', and that's the test 'normal' cars are designed and built around for top speed runs.

A jet car........just needs more spaaaace to get up to speed, measure it, then slow, even with the aid of a parachute, as no physical gearing is involved.

Not a rant, just my opinion, and by the way, I'm fookin keen to see if Andy can pilot this thing to that new record.

Ultimate
Old 31-08-2011, 12:47 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by Brian ST24
I think tbh, comparing Rod's or anyone else's car to a land speed record, specially in relation to Bloodhound, is little short of...wellll

Also, the other main reason for the delay between Thrust SSC and Bloodhound is finance, planning, physics, engineering......all of these, especially finance are really hard things to come by, before you even consider it.
I'm sure, given half the chance a lot of the guys on here would love to take their high end top speed motors onto a salt flat, or dried lake bed, but the salt flats are in Bonneville, and the lake Andy Green is driving on is as already stated in South Africa.
Pour the money into development and building of what is effectively an outlandish road car, and it doesn't leave much change left for shipping to a remote desert.........albeit credit where it's due to those concerned.

Brunters is the benchmark for all things fast on British ''roads'', and that's the test 'normal' cars are designed and built around for top speed runs.

A jet car........just needs more spaaaace to get up to speed, measure it, then slow, even with the aid of a parachute, as no physical gearing is involved.

Not a rant, just my opinion, and by the way, I'm fookin keen to see if Andy can pilot this thing to that new record.

Ultimate
No one is in any way comparing it to the land speed record lol if you read the posts its a discussion on weather top speed in a road car at brunters is credible as showing a car is fast we are talking about as he always knocks doing it at brunters (not what the thred is about but never mind lol)

Last edited by ajamesc; 31-08-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 31-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Brian ST-2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Ok agreed, so the thread went ''off topic'' as usual when someone mentions top speed.

But on that point, since Brunters appears to be pretty much the only place to test in the uk for high speed road going cars, and those that have 'set records' have done it there, then there will always be the comparison made............

But please, back on topic......this is Britain trying to do AGAIN, what Britain has historically ALWAYS been pretty damned good at.
Old 31-08-2011, 02:00 PM
It's Czech Mate

No one is in any way comparing it to the land speed record lol if you read the posts its a discussion on weather top speed in a road car at brunters is credible as showing a car is fast we are talking about as he always knocks doing it at brunters (not what the thred is about but never mind lol)
It's not even that mate, it's the fact brunters isn't a 'top speed' test as it's constrained by distance, I doubt I'd get my car to it's top speed at brunters. But I can on the motorway.

Again, brunters is not ultimate top speed, I guarantee that most cars that have set a time there could achieve a higher speed over a longer distance

That is all I'm saying
Old 31-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Can someone tell me what Brunters & shit Ford cars have got to do with achieving 1000mph in a jet car .

Thats true mine should reach 234mph (calculated) in about 4 miles but would require another 46secs on the throttle. The Cosworth topspeed record is 206.08mph done in 1.41miles the overall Sierra ( Merkur) Topspeed record is 211.4mph set at the Salt flats in just over 5 miles. Both are the fastest speed ever reached by their marque. Dont think Topspeed think fastest ever obtained & in the Uk that means using Brunters or Woodbridge as yet we dont have any salt flats or a Mira.
ps. A flickering Speedo reading downhill on the M1 with your lights out wont be accepted by all. Remember Mo's 371mph reached overtaking that Lambo has not been recognised by everyone on this Forum .
Old 31-08-2011, 03:14 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by MadRod
Can someone tell me what Brunters & shit Ford cars have got to do with achieving 1000mph in a jet car .

Thats true mine should reach 234mph (calculated) in about 4 miles but would require another 46secs on the throttle. The Cosworth topspeed record is 206.08mph done in 1.41miles the overall Sierra ( Merkur) Topspeed record is 211.4mph set at the Salt flats in just over 5 miles. Both are the fastest speed ever reached by their marque. Dont think Topspeed think fastest ever obtained & in the Uk that means using Brunters or Woodbridge as yet we dont have any salt flats or a Mira.
ps. A flickering Speedo reading downhill on the M1 with your lights out wont be accepted by all. Remember Mo's 371mph reached overtaking that Lambo has not been recognised by everyone on this Forum .
nothing at all to do achieving 1000mph rod lol he just knocks top speed at brunters all the time and i carnt really see why to be honnest as id say doing 200 there is an achivement as its not as if many do lol
Old 31-08-2011, 03:36 PM
It's Czech Mate

nothing at all to do achieving 1000mph rod lol he just knocks top speed at brunters all the time and i carnt really see why to be honnest as id say doing 200 there is an achivement as its not as if many do lol
Fuck me , where am I knocking it? I'm just saying it isn't topspeed, even rod agrees!
Old 31-08-2011, 03:41 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Fuck me , where am I knocking it? I'm just saying it isn't topspeed, even rod agrees!
ive seen a few threds now wear some one says about top speed and you pop up with a sarcastic ''if it carnt do it at brunters'' lol and rod dident agree he stated its all you can do in the uk! so as hes in the uk its all he and others can do as far as top speed gos
Old 31-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Jupiter TDCI
Mondeo TDCi est colorado

[quote=Chopshop85;5605405]Saw a program on TV last night about a team developing a car to reach 1000+mph

Wish I had caught the whole program and knew more about it. However, the air is going to be forced into the jet engine by a cosworth F1 engine so something to that effect. So as far as I'm concerned the fastes car in the world will be a cossie

The cosworth F! engine is being used as a fuel and hydraulic pump, the cars powered b a jet AND a rocket, crazy!
Old 31-08-2011, 05:05 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jupiter TDCI
the cars powered by a jet AND a rocket, crazy!
And also powered by a pilot who will be wearing brown trousers by the end of each run.

Old 31-08-2011, 08:24 PM
It's Czech Mate

ive seen a few threds now wear some one says about top speed and you pop up with a sarcastic ''if it carnt do it at brunters'' lol and rod dident agree he stated its all you can do in the uk! so as hes in the uk its all he and others can do as far as top speed gos
So which bit of 'don't think of it as top speed' that rod said isn't making sense?

And I made my brunters comment because it's funny, hence the other folk laughing!
Old 31-08-2011, 09:03 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

So which bit of 'don't think of it as top speed' that rod said isn't making sense?

And I made my brunters comment because it's funny, hence the other folk laughing!
lol dont try and turn it round mate he is going to brunters to do a top speed run lol the top speed he can reach in that distance! so fair enough a lot of it is a show of the cars power in gear but he is going there to do its top speed at that strip of air field! he says dont think top speed as the other sierra did 211,4 over 5 miles! he can not do that in the uk but thats not here nore there as he will beat that in the 1.4 the uk offers lol

Last edited by ajamesc; 31-08-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:24 PM
It's Czech Mate

lol dont try and turn it round mate he is going to brunters to do a top speed run lol the top speed he can reach in that distance! so fair enough a lot of it is a show of the cars power in gear but he is going there to do its top speed at that strip of air field! he says dont think top speed as the other sierra did 211,4 over 5 miles! he can not do that in the uk but thats not here nore there as he will beat that in the 1.4 the uk offers lol
How an I turning it around! Ive said all along it's not total topspeed bur topspeed constrained by a distance, you've said it yourself! What ARE you arguing about!?

Even rod said it's nor the cars top speed? Are u an idiot or something?

Quick Reply: Land speed record.