General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car damaged in pub car park...by their own sign, where do i stand?

Search this Thread

Old 28-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car damaged in pub car park...by their own sign, where do i stand?

My car has been damaged by one of the triangular signs they put outside pubs with whats in this week etc etc, it has damaged the rear quarter and drivers door quite badly and as all the panels are new and the car has recently had a 2.3k overhaul im understandably gutted, now the landlord only has the lease of the pub (greene king) so i assume hes not bothered as its down to the brewery, but someone i know pretty much runs the place, and has said the boss isnt back till monday but will talk to them as soon as hes back.
NOW they have the sign fallin onto my car on cctv, and their is nothing AT ALL that says anything left in this car park is down to the owner blah blah, so where do you think i stand?, surely this is a public liability issue? as if the sign hit a child suurely they would pay out? whats ur opinions?

Many thanks Adam
Old 28-08-2011, 05:30 PM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say you have a pretty strong case as long as you where parked correctly.
Old 28-08-2011, 05:34 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what pub was that mate?
Old 28-08-2011, 05:46 PM
bunnymofo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

free drinks for life ?
Old 28-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

It was the maypole in hanham bristol, and yes was parked in the correct part of the bay/car park.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Gutted for you mate... I'm sure you have a pretty good chance of recovering your cost.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:37 PM
stuboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

not good.. least u have cctv etc take pics too
Old 28-08-2011, 06:42 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Have u and a witness seen the CCTV. As Would be all too easy for it to go missing.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:44 PM
user 628729
BANNED
BANNED

It will to some extent depend on how the sign came to impact your car and whether there's any clear negligence by those responsible for it.
e.g. if it was caught by an extreme unexpected gust of wind then it may be an "Act of God" and you'll need to claim on your own insurance.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

I would think that it is down to the licensee, as they are responsible for the day to day business. Having a lease just means that they are tied to buying certain things from the brewery (Greene King) and rent the premises. If it was a managed house, then it would definitely be the brewery but a lease is basically, for the sake of argument very similar to a franchise. I can't say for definite because all leases are different but I used to run a leased pub and if a similar thing happened at my pub, I'm pretty sure that I would have to pay for your damages. Or claim through my insurance.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:58 PM
snoopaloopa

Originally Posted by oldzetec
It will to some extent depend on how the sign came to impact your car and whether there's any clear negligence by those responsible for it.
e.g. if it was caught by an extreme unexpected gust of wind then it may be an "Act of God" and you'll need to claim on your own insurance.

If it was windy then it should have been secured or taken inside, A-boards are a menace and should be banned!
They will have public liability insurance and can claim against that for this type of thing.
Old 28-08-2011, 07:12 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

afaik it will be park at your own risk scenario, i hope for your sake it isnt but thats how i understand it.
Old 29-08-2011, 11:47 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say if the sign has fallen due to being improperly secured then you have a good chance as it wasnt properly secured...did you take pictures at the time?

If however it has been kicked over or thrown at you car then they may pull the parked at owners risk.
Old 29-08-2011, 12:08 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

go back and take pics of EVERYTHING, loads and loads of them

you never know where it could end up and the most innocent of pics may show something that is later moved out of the equation or has been put there since
Old 29-08-2011, 05:32 PM
bristol_fez

The good old maypole, who is running that place now? used to get raided all the bloody time when we drank there years ago.

p.s sorry to hear about your motor, i would request a copy of the cctv just in case it gets deleted by accident...
Old 29-08-2011, 05:35 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All the best with this, but there are too many ways that you could get beefed in the arse and stuck with the repair costs yourself.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 31-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Paynee
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by matts1
I would say if the sign has fallen due to being improperly secured then you have a good chance as it wasnt properly secured...did you take pictures at the time?

If however it has been kicked over or thrown at you car then they may pull the parked at owners risk.
I would have thought either way it would be their liablilty surely its negligence on their part if it hasnt been secured sufficiently, especially when it has been placed on the boundry of a designated car park?
Old 31-08-2011, 12:48 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Madgit
I would think that it is down to the licensee, as they are responsible for the day to day business. Having a lease just means that they are tied to buying certain things from the brewery (Greene King) and rent the premises. If it was a managed house, then it would definitely be the brewery but a lease is basically, for the sake of argument very similar to a franchise. I can't say for definite because all leases are different but I used to run a leased pub and if a similar thing happened at my pub, I'm pretty sure that I would have to pay for your damages. Or claim through my insurance.
This is pretty much bang on, if a bit of the actual building fell off then its Green Kings responsability, the sign will be the landlords. He will be insured and probably keen to sort it for you as its no good for him not to.
Old 31-08-2011, 03:06 PM
boaby
Miester

there usually a "cars left at owners risk" sign or something similar, if so your screwed, if not however........................................... ...............
Old 31-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

Originally Posted by boaby
there usually a "cars left at owners risk" sign or something similar, if so your screwed, if not however........................................... ...............
Theres no sign... there will be in future the landlord has said, but looks like they are going to payout after speaking with the landlord tonight! so happy days
Old 31-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Len

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was gutted to read this, but happy you are getting it sorted.