General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

tip top exhausts birmingham what do you think (pic's)!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 15-07-2011, 12:50 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default tip top exhausts birmingham what do you think (pic's)!?!?!?!

i had a straight through pipe put on the rear section of my mondeo td they quoted me over the phone £100 for a back box and a bit of pipe work to the mid section, but when i got there he told me it'd be £150 for a box but he'll do me a straight through pipe for £100, he seemed a bit arsey but thought i'd go there as i'd been recommended in the past by someone, it was all done while i was out side and looked fine at a distance but whilst prep'n my car for the mot on close inspection i found it was not what i expected, i think the pictures will speak for themselves

this photo shows how he's used a smaller diameter pipe to continue the exhaust
Name:  f78541dd.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  72.8 KB

and look at how squashed the bends are, i'v never seen a manderell bender so at first didn't know if they where or not, and at a distance i couldn't see how squashed they actually where
Name:  01f0dcc6.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  308.9 KB

and this pic show's where he hasn't sealed the exhaust tip properly
Name:  185dd5f8.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  56.9 KB

i don't know if for a £100 i got what i paid for but to me it seem's like my back section of exhaust wasn't exactly lovingly made
Old 15-07-2011, 01:29 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Exhaust looks pretty gash, on the bright side, the underside of your 'deo looks pretty tidy.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15-07-2011, 01:29 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like they were trying to get rid of it cheap. Perhaps they offered u that as someone else kicked of about it!?
Old 15-07-2011, 01:49 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Exhaust looks pretty gash, on the bright side, the underside of your 'deo looks pretty tidy.

Cheers,
Grant
atleast i'm not the only one that feels like that i thought i'd put it on here just to let other people know what there work can be like, the place looks very well done out it's not a shabby workshop at all but just goes to show

and thanks it's not to bad under there, i'v just put a hole lot of suspension work on it so it drives lovely too, just the body isn't exactly pristine but polishes up ok, prob's see pictures of it for the next PF brum meet, it's my daily so i can't keep up with it looking the best all the time, has a few other non factory extras to keep me happy and make driving it more pleasurable as well

Originally Posted by lukeytheduke
looks like they were trying to get rid of it cheap. Perhaps they offered u that as someone else kicked of about it!?
it's was made on the spot for my car only took them 30 min's max so was rushed a little too, i got the feeling i was just a customer for money as he wouldn't even accept card, and i can't see many people wanting to roll in with nearly £500 cash for a full system
Old 15-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sad to see this as I was going to get them to custom make a exhaust for my Sierra, think I will look elsewhere now
Old 15-07-2011, 02:10 PM
t16coupe
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look on http://www.j10-meets.co.uk/ and look in gallery and for rubbish of it shows a exhaust done by this company
Old 15-07-2011, 02:36 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you get that when bending pipe mate
Name:  01f0dcc6.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  308.9 KB

Trending Topics

Old 15-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Awesome fab work
Old 15-07-2011, 03:00 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dingla rs
you get that when bending pipe mate
You do if it's not done with a mandrel.
Old 15-07-2011, 03:01 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shit job imo, even for the money, that hole is a mot issue as well.
As to the bends yes you will get some of that, but if the pipe was bent after filling and packing with sand it limits this big time, at your power level though this won't be a issue.
tabetha
Old 15-07-2011, 03:02 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I've seen better and worse fella. mandrel bends are expensive to make due to machine to do them, most exhaust places won't have one, so crush bends it is. the alternative is buying formed mandrel bends, but these are expensive and as such the exhaust would cost a lot more. after a couple of powerflow exhausts i decided to make my own this time for my ZT and this is what i ended up with:

Name:  P1000307.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  80.0 KB

3" system with mandrel bends welded in, cost about £300 for all the parts.
Old 15-07-2011, 03:05 PM
v8saff
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a company just off garrison lane by the blues ground used to rj performance in tysley i use him all the time and his good at making exhausts
Old 15-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
this photo shows how he's used a smaller diameter pipe to continue the exhaust

Nasty!
Old 15-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i suspect they used the smaller diameter to slip inside the original before welding.

i paid £700 for a hayward and scott exhaust, and that is far from perfect, so you dont always get what you pay for

its for sale too btw, 3" straight through with one massive box, fits zetec turbo 3dr lol
Old 15-07-2011, 07:42 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I paid c550 (from memory?!) for a 3" turbo back exhaust on my old Impreza.. was absolutely brilliant seeing it take shape from just a flange and tailpipe!! The guys that did mine are pretty well known for their work up here, they have done exhaust systems for the Colin McRae collection.

http://www.meercat-exhausts.com/index.htm

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15-07-2011, 07:52 PM
me_again
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Thats nasty mate and wouldnt be too happy if it was my car
Old 26-09-2015, 06:18 PM
mazza.1723
Virgin

Default cowboy mechanics

My partner took his toyota to tiptop exhaust because he had smoke coming from the exhaust. The guy said that he could fix it, so we left the car there and gave him £400 cash up front. We went back later and picked the car up and the engine light came on,so i phoned him up and explained the light had come on and he said that it was normal and to bring it back.We took it back and he said we needed a exhaust gas temperature sensor, we went to toyota and bought one costing £400.We took the car back again and he fixed the sensor on to the car.The light was still on so I phoned him again and he said he knew what was wrong and to bring it back again.This time he said that if he couldn't fix it he would refund us the £400. We picked the car up again and after half an hour the light came on again, so yet again I phoned him and he said that he coudln't do nothing else. He didn't refund us so we took the car to a garage and the mechanic looked over the car and found out that the £400 sensor had been bodged up and he had rounded the one end off and left it hanging when it should have been fixed into the exhaust.We then took the car to toyota and had a mechanic there to look over the car to see how much it will cost to get fixed. He found out that the DPF filter had been drilled and the holes had been welded up and the sensor was now no good.The cost to get back on the road was £1700. Tip Top exhaust was not answering my phone calls and my car was f**ked.
I had to buy a new car and have now taken Tip Top to court.
I had to ask them for a receipt for the work that they was meant to do and they gave me a hand written receipt with 'ROLLING ROAD BIRMINGHAM' as the company name.
I have now found out that he is VAT registered and I cant get a VAT receipt off him.
Has anybody else received a VAT receipt and if so could I get the VAT number please.
Old 27-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like a standard PowerFlow attempt at an exhaust.
Old 27-09-2015, 09:56 AM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

What a bunch of wankers. I daresay the OP has long since forgotten about his experience with this company due to the age of this thread but I hope the Toyota owner gets some satisfaction via the courts.
Old 27-09-2015, 05:47 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by mazza.1723
My partner took his toyota to tiptop exhaust because he had smoke coming from the exhaust. The guy said that he could fix it, so we left the car there and gave him £400 cash up front. We went back later and picked the car up and the engine light came on,so i phoned him up and explained the light had come on and he said that it was normal and to bring it back.We took it back and he said we needed a exhaust gas temperature sensor, we went to toyota and bought one costing £400.We took the car back again and he fixed the sensor on to the car.The light was still on so I phoned him again and he said he knew what was wrong and to bring it back again.This time he said that if he couldn't fix it he would refund us the £400. We picked the car up again and after half an hour the light came on again, so yet again I phoned him and he said that he coudln't do nothing else. He didn't refund us so we took the car to a garage and the mechanic looked over the car and found out that the £400 sensor had been bodged up and he had rounded the one end off and left it hanging when it should have been fixed into the exhaust.We then took the car to toyota and had a mechanic there to look over the car to see how much it will cost to get fixed. He found out that the DPF filter had been drilled and the holes had been welded up and the sensor was now no good.The cost to get back on the road was £1700. Tip Top exhaust was not answering my phone calls and my car was f**ked.
I had to buy a new car and have now taken Tip Top to court.
I had to ask them for a receipt for the work that they was meant to do and they gave me a hand written receipt with 'ROLLING ROAD BIRMINGHAM' as the company name.
I have now found out that he is VAT registered and I cant get a VAT receipt off him.
Has anybody else received a VAT receipt and if so could I get the VAT number please.
Inform Customs and Excise that he is trying to avoid paying Vat, they will be right on his case!
Old 30-09-2015, 07:41 AM
burnzy
burnzy

I'm lurking in the shadows still, just like Jimmy Saville in an orphanage

I don't think I got a receipt neither, but then again it could also be new owners as I thought they shut down for a while? None the less the Mondeo has since been long gone and replaced by many cars
The following users liked this post:
studabear (20-11-2015)
Old 20-11-2015, 03:47 PM
marcstafford
Virgin

Jokers stainless exhaust put on my car the last 900 mm has 12 joints different size pipe joined when called to complain got nasty arrogant answer and put phone down on me let's see how they deal with trading standards keep well clear
Old 20-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Welcome to pf.....
Old 21-11-2015, 06:29 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by marcstafford
Jokers stainless exhaust put on my car the last 900 mm has 12 joints different size pipe joined when called to complain got nasty arrogant answer and put phone down on me let's see how they deal with trading standards keep well clear
Got any pics mate?
Old 25-11-2015, 10:30 AM
orion88
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by t16coupe
look on http://www.j10-meets.co.uk/ and look in gallery and for rubbish of it shows a exhaust done by this company
I run hirsts performance classics in Brum and I've seen some of his work first hand it's shocking
There's a lad called Elliot he posts on motor heads his work is top notch I'd send customers his way
Old 27-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Arron90
Virgin

Default Tip top exhaust

Shocking

Last edited by Arron90; 17-03-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 27-11-2015, 03:09 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Arron90
Been going to tiptop exhaust for a long time and have never had any problems, All there work is to a high standard and prices won't be beaten, also the people are down to earth and genuine. I have had decats, repairs, back box modifications , and exhaust systems made by them and would highly recommend to anyone unlike that shitty backstreet rj performance. Tiptop exhaust are easily 10/10 for their detailed work and genuine work
You must be a minority then as most of their feedback is shite.

I wouldnt trust them with a barge pole
Old 27-11-2015, 03:42 PM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles;5542802

[IMG

All there work is to a high standard and prices won't be beaten, Tiptop exhaust are easily 10/10 for their detailed work and genuine work

As the evedence above shows
burnzy (27-11-2015)
Old 27-11-2015, 04:43 PM
burnzy
burnzy

^^^^^

And the award for tiptop employe of the month goes too.........

Arron90

Old 27-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Rst tyrone
zetec turbo

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Been going to tiptop exhaust for a long time and have never had any problems, All there work is to a high standard and prices won't be beaten, also the people are down to earth and genuine. I have had decats, repairs, back box modifications , and exhaust systems made by them and would highly recommend to anyone unlike that shitty backstreet rj performance. Tiptop exhaust are easily 10/10 for their detailed work and genuine work
You must work there bud the place the staff and quality or work is shocking the place needs shutting down how he's still trading I'll never know he did an exhaust for an off-roader I had it was all little sections welded together, pigeon shit welds blowing from every joined section there was I ended removing and throwing it in the skip
Old 27-11-2015, 08:47 PM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Jeez if you want to perform reputation management online ill give you a tip, dont do it on accounts signed up just for that purpose, not natural human behavior and so stands out like a sore thumb..

After that the next thing id do is realise in real reviews, no company every scores 100%-10/10 or perfect, the best they can do is satisfy the majority of customers, further things a customer woud not do is list all the services they do.

In other words, if your not the company owner / being paid by the company - then im dolly parton
xr2mk2turbo (27-11-2015)
Old 28-11-2015, 01:15 AM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by natehall
Jeez if you want to perform reputation management online ill give you a tip, dont do it on accounts signed up just for that purpose, not natural human behavior and so stands out like a sore thumb..

After that the next thing id do is realise in real reviews, no company every scores 100%-10/10 or perfect, the best they can do is satisfy the majority of customers, further things a customer woud not do is list all the services they do.

In other words, if your not the company owner / being paid by the company - then im dolly parton
Maybe its about time some people left google reviews about shit top performance since this guys trying to help his reputation

That exhaust is gash
Old 28-11-2015, 07:37 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

These guys are great too.

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/offers/2-for-1
Old 28-11-2015, 10:23 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Just googled the company, the results and reviews speak for themselves!
Old 29-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Kevin_Mc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Grant
I paid c550 (from memory?!) for a 3" turbo back exhaust on my old Impreza.. was absolutely brilliant seeing it take shape from just a flange and tailpipe!! The guys that did mine are pretty well known for their work up here, they have done exhaust systems for the Colin McRae collection.

http://www.meercat-exhausts.com/index.htm

Cheers,
Grant
I know this is an old post but as i read it i was thinking "i had the sane experience, watching my exhaust being built from scratch" then seen the meercat link and realised it was the same place.

I removed it from the car a while back to do an underside resto and it really was flawless.