General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tranny 2.5di,turboing it and running on veg???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny 2.5di,turboing it and running on veg???

OK,bought one of these of flashRS (richard) on here to convert to a dayvan/one man camper affair.
The van,as with most di`s runs spot on,doesn`t even smoke too badly but is a bit underpowered for my liking,especially on the hills or ladened up.
Now,I spotted a Tourneo version in the auctions and had a good look under the bonnet and it looks pretty straightforward to convert,I`m only looking at say 5 PSI,nothing heavy,just to keep the speed up a bit on the hills.
I`m just wondering what turbo they use as it looked tiny,like a T2 perhaps?I was thinking of just a cone filter directly into the turbine housing then it seems to link up to the inlet via the outlet underneath the turbo,it even looks an afterthought from the factory!!!
I`m not 100% if it uses an ecu etc to control the fuelling but the boost control looked really messy,pipes everywhere,not sure of a good solution to this?
Now,to the veg/waste oil.
I know the tranny is very good with being run on pretty much anything and I have access where I work to large quantities of various oils.
Theres a canteen so I`m sure I could source veg oil from there free of charge and also theres a large waste oil drum which holds IIRC around 100 odd litres of various types of oil,hydraulic,lube etc.
My question is do I need to refine these oils in anyway or is it just straight in via a small filter on my funnel and keep an eye on the oil filter more frequently?
All thoughts welcome.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:33 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The turbo 2.5DI Transits run about 15 psi standard. It's easy to do but I'd avoid the Lucas EPIC fuel system to be honest. Just fit the turbo/manifold etc and wind the pressure up on the original pump. I'd do away with the EGR valve too.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

filter whatever oil you get properly. Mix it with a bit of normal diesel too.

keep spare fuel filters and change the engine oil regularly.