General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Not happy...took the cossie out for a drive and got pulled by the police....

Search this Thread

Old 26-06-2011, 04:53 PM
rs_traynor
stage4 2wd cosworth

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take it to court, they need to prove you were txtin if theres no record of a txt sent or video evidence and if he said it was a black fone and its blue i reckon youv got a good case.
Old 26-06-2011, 04:59 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

insurance companies see a "driving while on the phone" set of points on your license as you being more of a risk than just the usually speeding stuff

do a proper letter of appeal stating that you were not on your phone at any time as it wasn't in your hand at any point during your driving and the policeman was mistaken

if/when it gets to court THEN tell them how the policeman had obviously made a mistake when he checked and rather than give it up as his mistake, said that he was going to do you anyway to make up the numbers or something
Old 26-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was it just the one plod in the car? if it was then he doesnt have a leg to stand on,
its your word against his. ive always been told that unless there is 2 or more then it wont stand in a court.
Old 26-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

take it to court out of principal. for one id never roll over and accept guilt when innocent because later in life it can bite you. probably not so for minor motoring offences but definitely can for more serious things.

also its not the cost of Ł60. Its Ł60 plus the 30% increase in insurance premium next year and the slight decrease of increase over the next 5 years compared to not having the points.

so on an already expensive to insure car these points could cost you a grand or more if convicted, so definitely worth fighting.

In court any fine would be means tested so make sure your skint on the paperwork I doubt your fine would be much above the Ł60 if at all, except for the fact you will pay costs and victim surcharge.
Old 26-06-2011, 05:34 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaiscossie
I just called orange and as you guys have said yes i can get an itemised bill which will prove i didnt use my phone whilst driving, but then as said in earlier posts i dont want to end up walking out of there with a heavier fine for not paying attention whist driving etc?
Take it to court, produce phone records, explain what copper said about going to court, explain that you also offered the copper to view your phone, if people roll over to this it will continue to happen.
Old 26-06-2011, 05:47 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What a shit situation - this should have been cleared up at the scene - you should have shown him the phone record on your phone there and then as most have call history.

If you show him and it's all clear you could then say you were doing something else.

I don't understand on what scale were you looking down, surely it could have been just simply looking at gears, handbrake, stereo for a split second is that illegal? if so it's illegal for them to be looking around for criminal whilst driving - load of shit really but if it were me i would have sorted at the road side either way.

As said on the previous page records won't mean nothing once your in court.
Old 26-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

I was going to put what mar_k has. I'm sure there has to be two officers or vid to do you for an offence like that. Sounds like he's got a grudge against Cossies, the advise you against going to court part sounds really dodgy to me.
Old 26-06-2011, 06:49 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Take it to court, why should you pay for something you didn't do? Its just a typical copper in my opinion worried about non existant offensise like this rather than catching buglars and murderers, a good lawyer will help, remmember Jimmy Carr got away with it even when he was using the phone, (his lawyer managed to persuade them he was using it as a recording devise to record a joke, not phone someone), don't be just another person letting a tosser walk over you, fight your case.
Old 26-06-2011, 08:19 PM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have 7 days to hand my license in at my local station, does this also mean i have 7 days to decide weather to pay the fine or not? This sounds like a good option what you have said and didnt know i could do this.Do i just enclose a copy of the ticket and my phone records? not very good at writing letters you see and wouldnt know where to start.
7 days to produce your licence, then a further 28 days to either pay the fine or complete the notice that you are contesting it. If you lose at court, the fine will be higher, court costs and victim surcharge. I'm not for one minute suggesting what you should do, just advising on what may happen.

I've heard that in these times of austerity, certain traffic inspectors insist on league tables per officer, based on tickets issued, so discretion will become unheard of. Sad way to police, but these are the rules.
Old 26-06-2011, 08:22 PM
paul0461
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

mate id be fuming. challenge it for sure. just some twat policeman abusing his ''power''
Old 26-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Cal Jones
Part of the Furniture

This happened to me got pulled because he thought I was on my phone but I wasn't I was playing with my hair by me ear but because my hand was by my ear they thought I was on my phone , total pricks , but I took it to court and proved that I wasn't I was not getting points for something I didn't do! Insurance is enough these days with out 3 more points!!!! Take them to court mate prove the counts wrong they think there in power cos they were a uniform but when they go home at night n get changed they are no different to the rest of us ! I hate the cunts
Old 26-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember someone else getting pulled for this and still got prosecuted despite the law having no evidence

If you do get an itemised bill what's to stop them from saying that either that isn't the phone you were on or that you hadn't sent the text yet?
Old 26-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the police loose they pay costs, you might try no win no fee with a good brief, I had my car siezed as the policeman that pulled me last year messed up a checking my licence! had to pay Ł175 to get the car back and it took 3 months to get it back not to mention I was left in the wost part of salford with no money and a 2 year old daughter, with a bad knee injury! good luck
Old 26-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Silver'Scort

Proper angry now, he also had the nerve to put his ticket book on my spoiler which is a hate of mine and really wanted to say something to him.
I asked a copper not to lean on my car while he was talking to me. Didn't seem to take very kindly to it. Seemed to think because he had a uniform on it gave him the right to lean against MY car
Old 26-06-2011, 10:31 PM
furqall

look at this page 5 post 125

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=415444&page=7

seems opting to go to court can be a good thing!
Old 26-06-2011, 10:43 PM
c20tbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I had this over a year ago, police woman was adamint! didnt matter what i said to her. Anyway i never admitted to anything or signed there little bookie (thats always a big mistake) said i would take it to court and see my solicitor, and just totally ignored it after that, had 1 letter that was it over a year ago, prob to much paperwork with no real evidence to back them selves up for a real case, most people would just accept the points and fine.

Or perhaps i was just lucky!!

I also had an incident with pulling into a no entry, didnt see the sign as it was facing at the wrong angle from where i was coming from, 2 on foot police stopped me, same again even the copper admitted the sign was facing at the wrong angle but still tried to do me, again never signed and got him to state in his book that he admitted to me about the sign angle. Never heard anything back.
Old 27-06-2011, 08:23 AM
midge
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Take it to court, if he said your head was looking down and you were using your phone, how did he manage to see it? x ray vision through the doors?
Old 27-06-2011, 08:33 AM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver'Scort
I asked a copper not to lean on my car while he was talking to me. Didn't seem to take very kindly to it. Seemed to think because he had a uniform on it gave him the right to lean against MY car
Fucking right as well. Cheeky cunts think they can get away with it cos of a uniform. I would not hesitate to give then a telling off!

As for the ticket, fight it 100%, its not even a option not to imho.
Old 28-06-2011, 09:20 AM
stevebuck
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I would find out were he lives and terrorise him when ever in passing.
Old 28-06-2011, 09:38 AM
vectrac20tsri

But his argument would not be whether you sent a txt or not you were still using your phone(I know you were not),and a coppers word in court is still strong you have been stiched and there is not much you can do about it its alright people saying go to court its an open shut case it does not work like that and would not be fair on you,don't listen to any one on here you need to speak to a solicitor and Im not trying to offend anyone but he will atleast tell you a rough outcome of both scenarios and you can make your own mind up but always rember that when they need your help you tell them where to go