General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

So why..

Search this Thread

Old 15-06-2011, 09:39 PM
ST24MK2
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So why..

When a normal run of the mill engine head gasket goes pop, does the oil water mix and the car loose compression and eventually dies, where as a V6 engine as found in the mondeos/cougars etc, they just tick and still run regardless?

Some of you may or not have been following my threads but basically my plastic impellor broke up on my waterpump on saturday, i changed the pump and ever since, its got one big nasty air lock that i cannot for life of me shift, i have changed the stat twice, ive tried every and each way of bleeding it, ive flushed the system through, but nope, engine off it takes the water, swallows it up, start it up, it heats up, and blows it all back out the header tank, violently.

Was told to remove the stat completely, that made things worse, it ran twice as hot, fan was constantly on and boiled over ten times more violently and when i was going along i could hear the pressure in the system popping and crackling..

Then it occured, the tick of death, sounds like someone flicking a piece of metal off something hard, ive already got a knackered front bank exhaust manifold gasket and now ive got this noise...

Going to put the stat back in tommorow i think, may try once more at flushing it ( hose in the header and bottom rad hose off ) but i think shes goosed.. how long will she last for ?

Old 15-06-2011, 09:49 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

becuase the cylinders head warp on the corner and the gasket fails there so the compression from cylinders goes out the corner of the head
Old 15-06-2011, 09:52 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the v6's are prone to warping differently to other engines (for whatever reason, i don;t know) and therefore the gasket seal fails in a different spot.

head gaskets can fail between the oil and water ways causing the oil and water to mix, they can also fail between cylinders or between cylinder and water way, etc.
Old 15-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stupid thing is, if your not bothered about it, and just want to run it into the ground, it could last for thousands of miles, seriously
Old 15-06-2011, 09:56 PM
tiny2white
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

All might not be lost try a bottle of K Seal
Old 15-06-2011, 10:08 PM
ST24MK2
BANNED
BANNED

Well it was ok, till i took the stat out an hour or so ago when i got in from work.

Thought id run it up and realised i didnt have much fuel, so topped the water back up till it settled, went 2 mile down the road and it was touching the red, cracking and popping like a gooden, got into fuel station, kicked the tank cap off with my foot, blew it off that hard it put a mark on the inside of the bonnet, water and steam everywhere, let it cool ( cashier in the garage thought it was on fire ) topped it and my water bottles back up and left, got home and it had seriously pressurised again.

Going to refit the stat 2moro seems to run better with that on, im still saying a piece of impellor is jammed in a hose somewhere.
Old 16-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Just put a new engine in fella job done. They look like a lovely job to do.
Old 16-06-2011, 08:28 PM
ST24MK2
BANNED
BANNED

lol your joking aint you its behaving now the stats back in, just leaking from the housing so think i need to cake it in instant gasket or summet