General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

how do you price a car you're selling

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:12 PM
JRG1
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you price a car you're selling

this may seem a silly question but as above? i know what i paid for it,i know its a good car and i look at others for sale the same and price it from there?! ive got the wifes old fiesta for sale and seem to attract every nutter within a 30 mile radius,some giving me advise on the price etc,surely if you dont want to buy it then dont fuckin text me!! lol i dont think its over priced but others seem too lol
cheers
Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm usually realistic on the condition of my car, they're rarely 'immaculate' to me because I'm pretty fussy.. so I tend to look at others with similar miles, full history and same colour if possible. Then I'll price it along side those cars, give or take a few hundred quid depending if mine has/hasn't got some OE or aftermarket extras that the other cars do/don't list.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 04-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Farmer Giles
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll usually use Autotrader and Pistonheads to gauge the current market rate for same age miles etc. I'll also take a look at Ebay to give me a bottom line.

Then just make a judgement on where you want to pitch it. Top end if it's a really good example or just in the same ball park as everyone else in which case it's more likely to be someone looking for the nearest one who will buy it..

HTH
Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
JRG1
PassionFord Regular

thats the way i look at it too! its only an old fiesta like but its a decent motor,people telling me i want too much for it when theyve not even seen it quite irritates me though! ive looked at what theyre seeling for and priced it pretty much in the middle which i think is fair! not to worry i suppose,just needed a rant. cheers for the reply
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

as above, look for similar cars and price it in the middle. You will always get dreamers who want massive amounts off a car and give it the 'well i have seen one for XXX less than you have yours up for sale' just reply 'go and buy it then'.

I once asked a guy who said that why he hadn't bought it if it was so cheap and he replied 'it was a nail and had dents in it' fucking idiot.

Eventually a genuine caller comes along, comes and sees the car and buys it, you just have to wade through the dreamers who think everything is over priced because they cant afford what they want.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

We buy any car! Then go about £300 under that

I looked on ebay and autotrader and it seemed to me you wont get them prices
Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
JRG1
PassionFord Regular

who knows,ive dropped the price and i'll see how it goes! if it dont sell then itll be used over the winter

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
JRG1
PassionFord Regular

i put my st on we buy any car 3 months ago an they offered me 6600,tried it again just out of intrest and they offered me 4200! thats some drop lol
Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prices are high in the old mk4/5 fiesta market atm, due to a short suplly (last years scrappage) and being an ideal first car/runaround.

i bought a 1.3 97 five door in red with rusty arches/laquer peeling 90k miles and various minor problems for £350 three years ago. & sold it a few weeks ago for £475 with 105k miles/twelve months mot/no tax in the same condition i bought it in.

At the time i had it on ebay/pistonheads etc, nothing. put it in local paper for £550 (which at the time was the cheapest car with full mot) and got the usual people going through it with a fine toothcomb picking faults offering £200 then sold it to someone for £475.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:47 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Firstly,what car is it,full spec etc and I can give you a rough plan but as a guide ANY car with a decent Mot/tax is worth IMO at least £500,as buying one off someone's drive with no ticket for say a ton,£40 for a battery,£50 minimum to Mot it,bound to be £50 in bits and bobs,£70 to tax it and your pretty close to £350 and that's assuming it needs nothing.throw in 4tyres,a service,good clean up etc and it's owing you £500 easy.
Been there,done that and got the t-shirt!!!!
I've just sold my Corsa now for a bit less than I wanted to really but even small cars seem to be struggling,after all you still need the money to buy it and what with garages finding it hard to survive as well,then you start seeing work prices coming down as well,deals getting done and cars in general are getting more reliable,most 1990's stuff is pretty good mechanically and generally is scrap if a major part goes.
Hang in there mate,a decent buyer will turn up soon!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 PM
JRG1
PassionFord Regular

i'll tell you what it is and you tell me what its worth,then i cant take the huff if i am asking too much lol
its a 51 plate 3 door fiesta freestyle 1.8td elec windows central locking cd etc etc,gonna put a full ticket on it,3 owners 120k,no rust on arches like the usual ones,very very good condition......
go burst my bubble lol........................
Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM
rsturbolee
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

due to miles £995 it and take the best nearest offer
Old 05-06-2011, 05:21 PM
JRG1
PassionFord Regular

sold! £1100,new owners delighted! so am i,no more lunatics wasting my time lol