General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Electric MOPED

Search this Thread

Old 22-05-2011, 09:57 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electric MOPED

Not lecky bike, but lecky MOPED that do 50-60mph, any one use one, seriously thinking of one for my lad when he turns 16 due to no tax/ins/mot/petrol/license etc etc.
Seen some on a US site where they modded them, one did 88mph, and had a 160 mile range at normal speeds ie 50mph, seen some good views on extreme electric scooters/mopeds.
Your input would be appreciated, thanks
tabetha
Old 22-05-2011, 10:23 PM
scoobypete
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive seen one afound town and if its money you dont wana spend there a good idear but dont you think his mates would take the piss abit for have one rather than a normal one? but otherwise i think yes it would be a good idear
Old 22-05-2011, 10:43 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to get him a scooter atleast get him a proper one.

Ie 2 stroke 50cc, gilera Runner or likes.
Old 22-05-2011, 10:47 PM
scoobypete

i had a gilera dna when i was 16. was sutch a fun thing for its size, i use to be able to cruise as 55 all day and down hill could hit 65.. back in the day .lol
but do what ever works best for you and your son
Old 22-05-2011, 10:54 PM
S1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I though that although electric they still had the same requirements as a normal moped?

Electric Sit-On Scooters (Mopeds)
This is the first category of EV where the law is clear. Electric Sit-On Scooters are classed as mopeds in UK law and require a registration document, number plate, MOT at 3 years, insurance and a valid tax disc. For our purposes a "moped" is a 2 or 3 wheeled electric vehicle with a maximum design speed of 50 km/h (31 mph) that has lights and indicators. Riders must be at least 16 years old, wear an approved helmet, and have category "P" on their driving licence. If you only have provisional category "P" then you must display "L" plates and have a valid DL-196 certificate of completion of CBT issued by an approved training body.
Electric Motorcycles (Mopeds)
Electric motorcycles are classed as mopeds in UK law and require a registration document, number plate, MOT at 3 years, insurance and a valid tax disc. For our purposes a "moped" is a 2 or 3 wheeled electric vehicle with a maximum design speed of 50 km/h (31 mph) that has lights and indicators. Riders must be at least 16 years old, wear an approved helmet, and have category "P" on their driving licence. If you only have provisional category "P" then you must display "L" plates and have a valid DL-196 certificate of completion of CBT issued by an approved training body.
Light Electric Sit-On Scooters and Motorcycles
Light electric sit-on scooters and motorcycles are classed as light motorcycles in UK law and require a registration document, number plate, MOT at 3 years, insurance and a valid tax disc. For our purposes a "light motorcycle" is a 2 or 3 wheeled electric vehicle with a maximum output of 11kW that has lights and indicators. Riders must be at least 17 years old, wear an approved helmet, and have category "A1" on their driving licence. If you only have provisional category "A1" then you must display "L" plates and have a valid DL-196 certificate of completion of CBT issued by an approved training body.
Old 22-05-2011, 11:28 PM
7sean7m7

I had a speedfight 2 last year when i was 16 very good bike if you buy a nice one.. Mine got kicked over and all smashed by some jelous **** so i decided to re build it all, good bike couldnt fault it one bit.. i had about 65 maybe 70 in a strong wind from it too

Old 23-05-2011, 12:23 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

my friend bought his ex an electric moped as a present, he told me how he needed to ride it back from west to north london and it was pathetic, a 'death trap' as he described

he's not a small bloke but having to get it moving before it would take off was driving him nuts, maxed out at 20mph too!! (on a full charge)

stick with the combustion engined ones

Trending Topics

Old 23-05-2011, 01:05 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

I had an NRG (Petrol of course), only regret is selling it but just couldn't justify keeping it alongside car as well at the time, never was crashed at all or fell over unlike all the rest and I got back not far short of what I paid for it new and I had it nearly 2 years! To be honest the most expensive part is insurance, tax is £15 a year and petrol is £3-4, more so now with the price increase.

Be careful about the claimed speed, mine used to go off the clock, went up to 80 KM/H (50MPH) but went to around 60MPH on clock but in reality about 55MPH I suspect, Iv'e never known a genuine 70MPH 50cc without a 70CC bore kit.

I had a sports exhaust like the one pictured, my mate had a Speedfight and Runner's etc.

As said though even though it's electric I am still sure you need insurance, plus you are capped for the range you can travel as it has it's limitations of anything electric in that it's not a quick process to refuel (Charge), I seem to remember they are not a lot cheaper if not dearer IIRC?

Martin
Old 23-05-2011, 04:28 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by scoobypete
ive seen one afound town and if its money you dont wana spend there a good idear but dont you think his mates would take the piss abit for have one rather than a normal one? but otherwise i think yes it would be a good idear
He's not fussed about what his mates think, he's more than happy to be the odd one out.
I think at least he's thinking ahead realistically, with running costs etc.
If he wanted a petrol scooter/moped I'd get him one, his mate has just got a Gilera off roady looking thing, with road tyres on it, can't understand that myself.
I never did the 50cc scene as was in germany at time, but had a Honda XL125R in 1982, loved it, till some prick hit and run DD tried to kill me, had a bike within 2 days after coming out of hospital(19 months, firsty 3 in coma), but broke my plaster on me leg on it and me mum found out(bike was kept at mates!!), so no more bikes, don't think she'd take the stress tbh.
I appreciate this input and any other input is very welcome, I think he'd like a Kreidler50, seen a feature when living in germany of these hotted up to do a fully authenticated 73mph(not K's).
I ported a few ap50, fs1e etc and regularly saw them indicate 70 mph on my xl speedo, which by now had overbored XR200 engine with better cam/head etc, used to get 80mpg no matter how it was thrashed, but would do a huge amount more mpg with care.
I've got faith in him on the road, but you all know how it is, there are many on the road that shouldn't be, and cause a danger to all.
tabetha
Old 23-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

you pay tax for a moped in the UK??? Really? Hahahaha.
Old 23-05-2011, 04:47 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Mr.T
you pay tax for a moped in the UK??? Really? Hahahaha.
£10 I think ?
tabetha
Old 23-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

P/y or P/M ? And i wonder why as they don't weigh shit.
Old 23-05-2011, 06:19 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
£10 I think ?
tabetha
As I say above it's £15.

Martin
Old 23-05-2011, 09:27 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

P/y or P/M ? And i wonder why as they don't weigh shit.
Yearly, it because of the amount of damage they do to roads, meanwhile old fire engines weighing 15T don't pay a thing, or even need a mot in some cases!!
tabetha
Old 23-05-2011, 10:08 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED
BANNED

i was at college last year. there was alot of the normal 2 stroke mopeds etc.but 1 guy came on his new electric scooter thing and went into lesson. came out and it was gone! heard they are easy to nick. attract attention for being the oddd one that people would talk about etc i would say get the usual one mate.will blend in with the rest and will still have fun on it i see where your coming from though, if he dont mind then go ahead its better than catching the bus!
Old 23-05-2011, 10:10 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by wirralphil
If you decide to get him a scooter atleast get him a proper one.

Ie 2 stroke 50cc, gilera Runner or likes.
+1 .....
Old 24-05-2011, 06:22 AM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
As I say above it's £15.

Martin

nope its now 16 quid, just paid for it..
Old 24-05-2011, 07:22 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I was looking at 50cc Kreidler mopeds last night, 17bhp from a 50cc, amazing I thought for a 50cc, they went well!!
I'd personally have a Honda CY50E monkey bike(the big version), had one before ace bike used to do off roading in Sennalager.
tabetha
Old 24-05-2011, 12:30 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Then it's not a moped, to be defined as one it cannot travel any faster than 30MPH or produce any more than 3HP, if not then it's a motorcycle!

Martin
Old 24-05-2011, 12:35 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MO RS TURBO
i was at college last year. there was alot of the normal 2 stroke mopeds etc.but 1 guy came on his new electric scooter thing and went into lesson. came out and it was gone! heard they are easy to nick. attract attention for being the oddd one that people would talk about etc i would say get the usual one mate.will blend in with the rest and will still have fun on it i see where your coming from though, if he dont mind then go ahead its better than catching the bus!
lol they can't be any harder then the petrol equivalents, i can very easily start one, steering lock isn't that hard to break if you wanted to!

With these everyone seems to err on the side of alarms etc, when all it takes is a van to pull up and someone puts it in the back of the van and drives off!

To be honest an alarm etc on these is a gimmick, put your money into a decent lock and actually secure the thing.

Martin
Old 24-05-2011, 07:02 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Then it's not a moped, to be defined as one it cannot travel any faster than 30MPH or produce any more than 3HP, if not then it's a motorcycle!

Martin
It only needs to be a moped, whilst on L's, just don't want to spend money on anything not tuneable.
tabetha
Old 24-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

It only needs to be a moped, whilst on L's, just don't want to spend money on anything not tuneable.
tabetha
Then buy a normal moped. Like mine. You can tune the fuckers like hell. Get all the limiters off and you get 45mp/h easy. And thats without it costing you a lot of money.
Old 24-05-2011, 10:46 PM
ontheway
PassionFord Regular

No offence but its a little bit... gay, i mean i have a Peugeot ludix blaster, its the quiickest moped i've ever come accross but that doesnt change the fact it's still slow and sounds like a hairdryer, an electric one would just be even worse...
Old 25-05-2011, 04:38 AM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by ontheway
No offence but its a little bit... gay, i mean i have a Peugeot ludix blaster, its the quiickest moped i've ever come accross but that doesnt change the fact it's still slow and sounds like a hairdryer, an electric one would just be even worse...
Ludix blaster?? wtf? Remove the varioring and you will go a lot faster.
Old 25-05-2011, 07:52 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

He's not fussed about what his mates think, he's more than happy to be the odd one out.
that wont last long
Old 25-05-2011, 08:07 AM
RickyLee53

Not read all the comments, but I can't see why you wouldn't need insurance MOT etc? If you don't that rediculous!

If you do need the above, i'd imagine it'll cost more, it'll also put your leccy bill up, mean you have to drive to the local mcdonalds to collect him when his batteries are flat. Surely they cost more to buy in the first place as well?

I had an RS50 when I was 16, spent thousands on it. Did a genuine 90mph when i'd done
Old 25-05-2011, 08:25 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

had a Kawasaki AR50 when i was 16, at least get him a bike with gears and two stroke smell, every 16 year old deserves that
Old 25-05-2011, 12:25 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RickyLee53
Not read all the comments, but I can't see why you wouldn't need insurance MOT etc? If you don't that rediculous!

If you do need the above, i'd imagine it'll cost more, it'll also put your leccy bill up, mean you have to drive to the local mcdonalds to collect him when his batteries are flat. Surely they cost more to buy in the first place as well?

I had an RS50 when I was 16, spent thousands on it. Did a genuine 90mph when i'd done
You do his wrong, I really can't see the advantage, your limited in the range you can go and so far as I remember they aren't any faster, as said the statement about fuel costs isn't really true either as the cost and time it takes to recharge it likely outweighed by that of a petrol and as said they are more expensive to buy.

Yes couple of my mate's had RS50's and another had the Gilera SMT, I really liked them, faster than peds as well, but i think you would have to be mad to buy one of those new as they are very expensive for what they are (Over 2K), to be honest a new ped is expensive as when alls said and done it is just a frame, chainsaw engine and plastic fairing's covering it.

I always thought about the RS125 but now I have moved onto cars I really don't feel I could go back again!

I really liked mine I learnt a lot from it, I was always experimenting with different weight rollers etc all for an extra few MPH and a bit more acceleration sounds daft now but it was like nothing else at the time, there good social tools as well as we always went out together round each others houses etc, my then school buddy's of the time.

Martin
Old 25-05-2011, 04:53 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I think I got mixed up with the 15mph electric ones, on them no mot/tax/ins/cbt is needed, but they only do 15 mph, well as std anyway.
I'd much rather he just skip the moped scene and go onto a car, but silly money for insurance etc, I know when I was just passed my test and bought a battered old mini estate, my insurance cost me 2 x the cost of the car, but it's all changed a lot now.
Oddly enough one of his 17 y/o mates has just passed test and driving a corsa vxr with ins at £3k a year, can't see how myself got a few quotes a while back, and nearly fell over with fright.
tabetha
Old 26-05-2011, 11:05 AM
ontheway
PassionFord Regular

Ludix blaster?? wtf? Remove the varioring and you will go a lot faster.
It's far from standard my friend it's rs12 Rcup aswell
Old 26-05-2011, 12:49 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by ontheway
It's far from standard my friend it's rs12 Rcup aswell
wow, what sort of boost is it running?
Old 26-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll