General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MOT and decat exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 14-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Camel Fiddler
Resident Camel Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down MOT and decat exhaust

How am I likely to fare? I have a decat powerflow exhaust with 1 box and a 3" tailpipe. Just wondering as MOT is today
Old 14-04-2011, 09:27 AM
rs-tuner
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fail.
Old 14-04-2011, 09:28 AM
scholesyy
PassionFord Regular

depends on the car. ive had cars fail cos of it in the past and had to put the cat bk on just to get it through.

Last edited by scholesyy; 14-04-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:39 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It can't fail for not having a cat, a cat is not part of the test, but is needed on most for the emissions pass.
tabetha
Old 14-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

most cars without a cat will fail a cat test.

ironically with mine the garage got it into spec without a cat as i didnt have the engine age proof with me that day. it was shockingly bad at idle but once the oil was hot it was inspec for fast idle test and just about held it inspec for the idle test for the 30 seconds. I was surprised to say the least.
Old 14-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Put the cat back along with a standard exhaust. Not only will you pass the MOT but you'll probably find you have more power.
Old 14-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MK2 V6 mondeo's pass with a decat, but it has two precats on the manifold, which goes to show, it doesnt even need the main cat, as the emissions are low enough with out it. so come MOT time, im not even refitting my cat
Old 14-04-2011, 05:18 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my puma engined zetec s passed emisions with no cat ones up to temp
Old 14-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Camel Fiddler
Resident Camel Stalker

Well it passed. Emissions were touch and go but everything else was spot on
Well pleased
Old 14-04-2011, 05:32 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Glad it passed. So did it pass the emissions or was it a case of having a bottle of jack daniels in the boot?
Old 14-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my rs2000 used to pass the emissions every year without the cat being fitted
Old 14-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Camel Fiddler
Resident Camel Stalker

Originally Posted by RichieST
Glad it passed. So did it pass the emissions or was it a case of having a bottle of jack daniels in the boot?
well the tester was "friendly" and I'm saying no more
Old 14-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Eigdoog
ą§~Quadzackular~§ą

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

So if your car never came with a cat back in the day and it fails on the emissions today do you then need to add a cat? or not as there were build without them...
Old 14-04-2011, 08:44 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

they are changing it soon that checking the car has a cat fitted(if it was fitted from factory after 1994)is part of the test,also everyone with HDI,s zenons that they have fitted to their cars could be in trouble with the mot soon as well
Old 14-04-2011, 08:45 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Eigdoog
So if your car never came with a cat back in the day and it fails on the emissions today do you then need to add a cat? or not as there were build without them...

no mate no need to fit a cat non cat cars have a different emissions test
Old 14-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Eigdoog
ą§~Quadzackular~§ą

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanic28
no mate no need to fit a cat non cat cars have a different emissions test
Great news!
Old 14-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are changing it soon that checking the car has a cat fitted(if it was fitted from factory after 1994)is part of the test,also everyone with HDI,s zenons that they have fitted to their cars could be in trouble with the mot soon as well
and abs being removed will be in soon-ish as well
Old 14-04-2011, 08:59 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

air bag light is also coming in
Old 14-04-2011, 09:07 PM
TOOTALL
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Passes everytime when your brother is manager of the garage.
Old 15-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Thank fuck for that, the aftermarket HDI's kits not only look pony, cheap and shit, they dazzle the hell out of people coming the other way, good riddence i say, get the real deal with the correct lenses and headlight washers
Old 15-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sp3no
Thank fuck for that, the aftermarket HDI's kits not only look pony, cheap and shit, they dazzle the hell out of people coming the other way, good riddence i say, get the real deal with the correct lenses and headlight washers
Bit more to it than that mate. Some retro fit stuff is shocking I agree but the units I have seen fitted to my brothers BMW are superb and don't dazzle, nor do those fitted to a mates Passat.
Old 15-04-2011, 08:39 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

about bloody time imo
Old 15-04-2011, 08:40 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by TOOTALL
If it doesn't pass legit, please give me the name of the garage.
tabetha
Old 15-04-2011, 08:42 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Although a car say from 92 may pass a emissions test without a cat, although it may have had one from the factory, but it's now removed and passes test, VOSA can still nick you for not having one!!
tabetha
Old 16-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
If it doesn't pass legit, please give me the name of the garage.
tabetha

are you for real?

does it really bother you that certain places may let the emissions test slip?
whats the difference between having it fitted at the time of the mot to get a pass and then removing it, and having a helpful bloke that will turn a blind eye and giving it a pass anyway?

there are shit loads of places that will let it go.
would you really go out your way and report a garage for the above?
Old 16-04-2011, 08:34 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Yes I'm for real, and NO, I'm not at all bothered about the emissions, I just report mot's where any safety related aspect is skimped, I got the impression that was what the message reffered to, I've seen cars mot'd without even being in the garage at the time.
Cats for the most part can do more harm than good, increasing emissions due to more fuel usage unless "lit" ie up to temperature, and don't believe all this global warming crap anyway, it's happened since the earth was formed, it's a constant cycle of warm/cold, but a good way to screw the public/motorist out of yet more money.
The whole emissions thing is so badly run imo anyway, some old granny has a 20 year old car that puts out 3.5% co, and does 5 miles each sunday to the church pays Ł200 odd in tax, versus the business user doing 100K a year versus 250 miles pays NOTHING due to his car being "cleaner", I'm sure the carbon output is vastly greater from his over a year.
But to confirm no not at all interested in "helping" cars with gas part of the mot, and yes I have even reported the guy who did the mot on a car I bought from him, then again if you were the one crossing the road in front of this car with defective brakes you might be glad I did, I've also had a ex mate pass a car with NO rear calipers, a Fiat Uno turbo, they were seized and pricey so mate mot'd it and sold it, to a lady with three young children, don't expect me not to be "for real" or apologise, I've not spoken to him to this day, and yes the tester was prosecuted and YES I gave evidence against him.
tabetha
Old 16-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes I'm for real, and NO, I'm not at all bothered about the emissions, I just report mot's where any safety related aspect is skimped, I got the impression that was what the message reffered to, I've seen cars mot'd without even being in the garage at the time.
Cats for the most part can do more harm than good, increasing emissions due to more fuel usage unless "lit" ie up to temperature, and don't believe all this global warming crap anyway, it's happened since the earth was formed, it's a constant cycle of warm/cold, but a good way to screw the public/motorist out of yet more money.
The whole emissions thing is so badly run imo anyway, some old granny has a 20 year old car that puts out 3.5% co, and does 5 miles each sunday to the church pays Ł200 odd in tax, versus the business user doing 100K a year versus 250 miles pays NOTHING due to his car being "cleaner", I'm sure the carbon output is vastly greater from his over a year.
But to confirm no not at all interested in "helping" cars with gas part of the mot, and yes I have even reported the guy who did the mot on a car I bought from him, then again if you were the one crossing the road in front of this car with defective brakes you might be glad I did, I've also had a ex mate pass a car with NO rear calipers, a Fiat Uno turbo, they were seized and pricey so mate mot'd it and sold it, to a lady with three young children, don't expect me not to be "for real" or apologise, I've not spoken to him to this day, and yes the tester was prosecuted and YES I gave evidence against him.
tabetha

i can understand doing it on more serious things and would consider it myself but rightly or wrongly i got the impression you would report a garage over alittle help with emissions checks.
if i have this wrong then i appologise
Old 16-04-2011, 08:50 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you buy a Suzuki,with a cat,it pretty much always passes emissions as there's no data available for them,top secret.it has to go through a general pre cat test instead,I'm sure a few Mot testers on here can confirm this.
That new Mot test includes a lot of interesting things like if an ECU has been altered etc,fuck knows how they test it,but cut springs,excessive lowering etc are all on the menu,although the government are seriously considering a 2 year euro style test which personally I think is a bad move,look how quick a car,fords in particular can rot in a year,after 2 some could be condemned!!!!
Old 16-04-2011, 08:54 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mar_k
i can understand doing it on more serious things and would consider it myself but rightly or wrongly i got the impression you would report a garage over alittle help with emissions checks.
if i have this wrong then i appologise

It came across to me as well that tabs would report for emissions only but I know he's commented on a few threads before regarding undeclared engine conversions etc which is a fair enough thing to do as a lot are technically uninsured,note I said a "lot",not all.
Old 16-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TOOTALL
He will no doubt be well chuffed when VOSA stop you at the roadside then remove his MOT licence for him. Happens up here all the time.

There is a real easy way to solve this problem. Fit a bloody cat. I think we charge about Ł300 to supply and fit a 350bhp capable one to a 3" exhaust. Job done, for good.
Old 16-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
He will no doubt be well chuffed when VOSA stop you at the roadside then remove his MOT licence for him. Happens up here all the time.

There is a real easy way to solve this problem. Fit a bloody cat. I think we charge about Ł300 to supply and fit a 350bhp capable one to a 3" exhaust. Job done, for good.

surely they would need to prove that the cat wasnt inplace when the mot was carried out
Old 16-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mar_k
surely they would need to prove that the cat wasnt inplace when the mot was carried out
Pretty easy when they stop you on the way OUT as they are known to do. LOL

Plus, some of these testers are plain stupid. They do daft things for mates like this and let lots of other stuff go as well, then VOSA look over the car because you failed an emissions test and boom... "Who the hell MOT'd this?"

The new tests are much harder to dupe as well, quite interesting what they are up to now.
Old 17-04-2011, 09:56 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

alot of the MOT items that are 'supposed' to be happening are all speculation, VOSA have had their collars felt massively in the last year or so, any tester who tests on a regular basis should have reallised that, just take a comparison of the manual, and one instance is brake disc condition, there are lots more that I could mention that would have been a point blank 'reason for rejection' which have been removed totally from the manual.

From what I can read between it, and from our local area office a case has been tried somewhere and VOSA lost big time, resulting in a lot of changes to the test.

Whilst I personally think the emissions testing is massivly flawed, your car came out of the factory with it if needed, just keep it in, or, if you are modifying the vehicle, the modify it properly.
Old 31-01-2018, 04:49 PM
Patryk Jurczak
Virgin

the air bag is already in place mine failed last year but fit simple resistor off eBay and your golden!👍
Old 31-01-2018, 04:58 PM
Patryk Jurczak
Virgin

about bloody time imo
A simple resistor from eBay can solve that I've got a momo deep dish steering wheel with no airbag and the rule is as long as the light is not on your good airbag or not
Old 31-01-2018, 05:06 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Nearly 8 years between posts, wow.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:20 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Patryk Jurczak
the air bag is already in place mine failed last year but fit simple resistor off eBay and your golden!👍

You dug up a 7 year old post from back in 2011!!!
Old 02-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Postman took a while to deliver that resister
Old 02-02-2018, 11:50 PM
t230
PassionFord Regular

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ive jacked some threads but 8 years gotta be a record!

Anyone using a Sports cat?
Old 03-02-2018, 10:57 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

I used a 200 cell sports cat on my Mk2 ST when i had it. Bought it second hand off ebay. I have no idea how old it was, but it worked a treat and passed the MOT every year I owned the car. I was going to go for a 100 cell cat but was advised that when new they are ok but after a while they may not hold the emissions in spec and therefore fail an MOT test.
The following users liked this post:
t230 (03-02-2018)

Quick Reply: MOT and decat exhaust