General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Bloody eBay!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28-03-2011, 06:45 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bloody eBay!!!

Agreed a price with a guy on a 328i saloon,rough as fook body but mint engine,just what I wanted!!

I explained to the guy that I couldn`t collect until a week friday to which he was fine about,but obviously wanted a deposit.I`ve been nights this weekend and as I haven`t really worked them for 2 years,I`ve been laying in a bit.Anyway,I last sent him an email saying I`d sort the deposit monday as that was my first day off.Only read his response yesterday at about 3.30 pm saying he wanted a deposit before auction end,fair enough.

Is sent him £100 via paypal and all was well,but as it was less than 12hours from auction end,ebay wouldn`t allow him to remove the listing then right at the end of the auction,it got sold for £75 more than we agreed and he`s decided to honour the eBay bid.

He`s offered my deposit back which is fair but i desperately needed the car,its totally fucked my plans up now and I`m not sure whether to offer to match the winning bid and get him to fob the other guy off saying the timing chains gone or something,I`m thinking if they mutually agree to void the sale,ebay would waive his fees?

I`m not blaming the guy,more myself really,its just really annoying that there`s so many shit bidders out there,it`s really fucked it up for the rest of us,which is a big shame as it`s hard to get anyone to trust your integrity these days on the bay.

In his defence he`s offered to contact me should the other guy not turn up but he had 200+feedback so I doubt he`s a messer.

Darn!!!
Old 28-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughant
Agreed a price with a guy on a 328i saloon,rough as fook body but mint engine,just what I wanted!!

I explained to the guy that I couldn`t collect until a week friday to which he was fine about,but obviously wanted a deposit.I`ve been nights this weekend and as I haven`t really worked them for 2 years,I`ve been laying in a bit.Anyway,I last sent him an email saying I`d sort the deposit monday as that was my first day off.Only read his response yesterday at about 3.30 pm saying he wanted a deposit before auction end,fair enough.

Is sent him £100 via paypal and all was well,but as it was less than 12hours from auction end,ebay wouldn`t allow him to remove the listing then right at the end of the auction,it got sold for £75 more than we agreed and he`s decided to honour the eBay bid.

He`s offered my deposit back which is fair but i desperately needed the car,its totally fucked my plans up now and I`m not sure whether to offer to match the winning bid and get him to fob the other guy off saying the timing chains gone or something,I`m thinking if they mutually agree to void the sale,ebay would waive his fees?

I`m not blaming the guy,more myself really,its just really annoying that there`s so many shit bidders out there,it`s really fucked it up for the rest of us,which is a big shame as it`s hard to get anyone to trust your integrity these days on the bay.

In his defence he`s offered to contact me should the other guy not turn up but he had 200+feedback so I doubt he`s a messer.

Darn!!!
I don't really understand your point (highlighted above), how can the higher bidder be 'shit'? Surely you're the 'shit' bidder for not bidding enough in the first place?! Anyhow just goes to show the old saying is true.. 'you snooze, you loose'
Old 28-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry but i dont understand your post

its your fault you didnt send a dippa , would only have taken 2 mins to paypal it job done , you cant blame working funny hours for not bothering till it was to late
Old 28-03-2011, 08:14 AM
rich123
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

its just 1 of them should have been more on the ball with it
Old 28-03-2011, 08:16 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds to me that the guy is actually a good honourable eBayer, and you're the crap eBayer

Him: Honouring bids, doing in the 'correct way'
You: Not paying deposit when agreed, trying to get seller to lie to the buyer...
Old 28-03-2011, 09:12 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

If he's willing to let you match the bid then fine but otherwise it's just the way that eBay works.
Old 28-03-2011, 09:16 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Unlucky chap, sure you'll find something else.
Old 28-03-2011, 09:23 AM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is with the seller, they should have put on the listing "sold do not bid"after you had paid your deposit, they want to have there cake and eat it
Old 28-03-2011, 11:34 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

wtf?martin/paul,READ THE POST!!!
Right,I was commenting on how certain people have fucked ebay up by bidding on things they never had any intention on buying,causing general mistrust of the `bay.there must be a thread once a week on how someones had a winning bidder fail to complete the purchase,does it once say up there that I was criticising the winning bidder?
My point is,ebay used to be an awesome tool,if you had bad feedback,you were basically an ebay leper,banished into the realms of bad sellers,now I dont even think you can leave bad feedback as a seller?If you were good,like I am,you honoured your side of the deal and were proud of your 100% good feedback.
And to get the facts straight,I emailed him requesting a BIN as time is of the essence,we agreed on £350 and I offered to paypal him a deposit there and then,he`d never used paypal so wanted to check it out first,this was Friday daytime,just before I went on 12hr nights,auction ended on Sunday night.
I checked my emails Saturday night about 3am as it was busy,where he`d given me his email addy to try it,all my cards etc were at home and my 3g signal is not brilliant.I explained this to him and told him i`d sort it by Monday at the latest.This was 6 am Sunday morning.I then get an email back when I woke up about 3pm telling me he needed a deposit before auction end as he`d been MESSED ABOUT BY ANOTHER EBAYER!!!
I immediately did this,he was happy and I went to work.
Getting home at 7am,checked my emails again and he`s sent me an email stating ebay wont let him remove the listing as it has one bid of £250 on it with less than 12 hrs to go,this bid had just been placed at 4pm.Obviously by this time the car had gone for £425 and he honoured the sale to the ebayer,I wonder if it had only made £275 would he have fobbed the winner off?who knows?
Yes,it`s partly my fault for not checking emails earlier but Sat night was chaotic and as far as I was concerned,simply the offer of a deposit should have been enough for him to pull the auction,aside from putting the cash in his hand I couldn`t really see how else I could have made it more obvious I was a genuine buyer,I even asked for his bank details but he wasn`t happy which is fair.
I do agree with tommytwotanks that he should have put sold,do not bid on it which is what I would have done but shit happens,each to their own.
And rog,cheers fella,i think i`ve sorted it now and I`m looking at one on my way home Friday morning in Berkshire,only a slight detour from Ellon to Swansea!!!
DanW,he has done that now,honoured the winning bidder but as I said would it have happenned if the bids had stayed at £250?Doubt it,as you can see,I`ve done all i can to sort this before time,all he had to do was either tell me to bid in the first place and there was no BIN or put up sold,do not bid and retract the bidders before auction end.
Old 29-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughant
wtf?martin/paul,READ THE POST!!!
I did, based on what you originally wrote I still think my comment was fair, not a personal attack just my thoughts!

I didn't read your other reply as it had way too many words (Dojj type posting )
Old 29-03-2011, 07:42 AM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I would of bid on the item up to £10,000, definitely no one would of out bid you and you and the seller could of completed your deal and cancelled the eBay auction to get his fees back.

Last edited by FletchCossie; 29-03-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 29-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin-Hadland
I did, based on what you originally wrote I still think my comment was fair, not a personal attack just my thoughts!

I didn't read your other reply as it had way too many words (Dojj type posting )
When I read his first post I thought the same as you martin
Old 29-03-2011, 06:40 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's ok,I don't care if it gets personal,it's only the Internet!!!

And yes,I do tend to waffle on a bit (!!!!?????!!!!),but it was a point about how a few people have ruined eBay by not honouring bids they make,in fact sometimes quite blasé about it.

If you notice I did even say at the end the guy was a 200+ bidder so I knew he'd come and get it.

The only reason the seller wanted a deposit was because he'd been messed about by a non payer,hence why I said about shit bidders spoiling it for all of us,it's lost it's trust element?

Reading it back,I can see it could have been a touch confusing but as usual quite a few people jumped on the bandwagon assuming I was being lax,really the seller should have put sold on the ad but I reckon he got greedy,it's his perogative I suppose.

Just like to put the record straight!!!!
Old 29-03-2011, 07:09 PM
vinnyvangough
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But i thought now that once you list an item you can NOT reserve the right to end auction early, and put, advertised elsewhere etc.
I thought it was a contract between the seller and eBay that once listed you had to sell at that price to that buyer.
Personally i think the seller has done the correct thing and abided by the rules.
Everytime i list something with "I reserve the right to end the auction early as i have the item advertised elsewhere", i get a message before listing stating i can not do that.

Should have asked seller to list it as a Buy It Now and then both of you would have been entered into a contract and been protected.
Old 29-03-2011, 07:13 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Sounds to me that the guy is actually a good honourable eBayer, and you're the crap eBayer

Him: Honouring bids, doing in the 'correct way'
You: Not paying deposit when agreed, trying to get seller to lie to the buyer...
What he said, sorry dude. If you want to get someone to end early, then you have to be ready to stump up the full amount NOW, let alone a deposit...
Old 29-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Way off topic but that did make me laugh
Old 29-03-2011, 09:42 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
What he said, sorry dude. If you want to get someone to end early, then you have to be ready to stump up the full amount NOW, let alone a deposit...

When did i say i wouldn`t?I did everything the seller requested,he wanted me to see the car before parting with the full amount of cash,like i would,but had he said pay me in full and I`ll refund it if its not as described I would have.

Read the original message and the reply ffs,it was a criticism of wankers on ebay spoiling it for everyone else,not the guy I bought it off or the winning bidder,nowhere in my original post does it say that!!!!
I did question afterwards whether he could have put sold do not bid on it but nobodys forcing a gun to his head,sheesh!!!!

Old 29-03-2011, 09:43 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mike1
Way off topic but that did make me laugh
Guilty as charged!!!!
Old 29-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

similar thing happened to me years ago.

i saw a van on ebay, wanted to go and see it, then buy it, drove 80 miles of the 120 mile journey and the bloke called me to say someone had hit the buy it now button and its gone

never again...
Old 29-03-2011, 11:21 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

Ive had it a few times, like when someone hasnt set the reserve and ive won the auction and they refuse to sell it because they didnt get what they wanted for it, dipshit couldnt be asked to put a reserve on it because he said he got fucked off with people asking him what the reserve was