General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What's the stories with Paul Hills then???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011 | 06:00 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Originally Posted by coswurv
Have you a pic of this mate cause its unbelievable ?
it's an epic tale that's been told a few times, every time this sort of title pops up

the pics of the copper pipe, the same pipe you'd find at b&q to fit to your taps, should surface soon too
Old 05-02-2011 | 06:05 PM
Mike Kerbey
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

He has the ability to map cars well, its just that he chooses not to and rush people through the door and take thier money. You might think hes amazing if you dont know what your looking at/talking about.
Old 05-02-2011 | 06:07 PM
Mark 3D

He quite happily charged me Ł100 for 15 minutes work (he wanted to charge me Ł150 but i argued) for a supposed improvement to my Ahmed Bayjoo map!!

I thought it was running too rich plus i was hoping for a bit more power!!

Anyway luckily a week later I was booked at an RR day and as my car was driven onto the rollers someone said "Blimey, I can taste the fuel from that"

When I left Paul Hills the week before he told me the car was running Est 330 BHP and that the AFR was spot on!!!

check these graphs out!!! its overfuelling so much that Dynamics RR couldnt even get a reading

I had to get it redone at EP 2 weeks later , heres the result after 3 hours of PROPER mapping!!

As people have previously said he seems a nice enough fella when you speak to him but he relys on the fact that most of us do not have a clue whats involved with having a proper mapping session done so we trust what he's saying as he does seem to know what he's talking about!! Its only when you see a proper mapper in action that you realise that he simply could NOT map a car properly in the time he takes to do it... as i said before mine was out on the road for no longer than 15-20 minutes with him and he had a couple of instruments he was using and just said "All Done" and we went back to the workshop and he went out back and burned me a new chip... no laptop was ever in my car.

The ONLY reason I let Paul Hills anywhere near my car was because I 100% trusted the person who's premises he was using that week for the mapping session.

I would seriously avoid Paul Hills and any premises that he uses to map cars as its all about him making a fast buck from "mapping" as many cars as he can in a day !!

Last edited by Mark 3D; 07-02-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2011 | 06:10 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Old 05-02-2011 | 06:10 PM
Ian M500COS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by James90RS
Ian's on fire tonight!
Just like my conrod, as 60psi of uncontrolled boost forced it to leave it's piston lol....
Old 05-02-2011 | 06:15 PM
Ian M500COS

Originally Posted by Martin-Hadland
looks like the very IGNITION map that destroyed my engine? lol

Last edited by Ian M500COS; 06-02-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2011 | 06:16 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Paul is a nice guy, who can do a perfect job, unfortunately this is very rare.
I like the guy as a person, found him very friendly when he set up a car for me.
I know he can do perfect work as I've driven some cars done by him, and the results have been verified on others rollers.
In my particular case the car was so rich under normal cruise light throttle that it nearly went off scale at 10.8:1 co, remember this is around 20% throttle, then around 4500rpm or so, the timing was dropped almost dead.
The printout I have(which I am happy to post) was actually showing the opposite bhp and lbft than it actually had.
As a stage 3 it made within 1bhp of the excellent GGR stage 1.
The printout showed 328.8bhp, reality was 272.0, torque showed as 288.7 reality was 257.2lbft.
Afr varied between 11 and 13.5, the boost curve looks like a saw profile, all over the place.
My car was eating plugs, I do a lot of dawdling in traffic, after some 10 minutes I had toi keep clearing it, as it started missing after fouling plugs.
This was set up by paul, inc his chip of course, since those days I run a different ecu and get roughly 30bhp more with around 4-5 psi LESS boost, I also have perfect emissions of 0.97% CO 137ppm at mot, an can crack 40mpg, all without closed loop, just decent mapping, the mot gasses were not fiddle for the mot, it simply isn't needed, this was on T34 modded head greys and 200,000 miles old engine.
The annoying thing for me is paul is very capable of doing a good job imo, just doesn't seem to want to put himself out to do so, which is a shame imo.
tabetha
Old 05-02-2011 | 06:30 PM
Ian M500COS

Well a T6-2000 never lies and is a very clever piece of kit. It tells you exactly what the mapper has done and more importantly when he did it and what he had for supper!

Reading back from what he did on my car was shocking - almost as shocking as his effort to control the boost. All shocking....
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:03 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by saph4be
cheers for the info pal we can all avoid southcoast perfromance now

talk about ruining a bussiness
hang on a min, we simply build cars but if a customer wants a car mapped then we call him as weve never had a problem with him and nether have our customers, we can setup all fords and omex and megasquirt but not jap stuff as we dont have the equipment and i take it you havent got a jap car so dont worry about it and dont slate scp, i only asked about paul

we only get him in if we havent got the equipment
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:12 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by XRT_si
Absolute fucking idiot who charged people through the nose. Wouldn't take my car to him for an oil change.

Took my first Zetec turbo there to be mapped on Omex 600. Car ran like shit after 2 seperate visits there and then found he charged me over Ł500 for what turned out to be a fucking N/A Zetec map downloaded from the Omex website...FOR FREE.

Took the car to Stu @ MSD in the end, who was horrifed at some of the work. I.e. Sensors missing etc...

If you think Paul Hills knows a lot about cars/engines then:
A) I shudder to think what you know.
B) You clearly haven't had a chat with someone properly educated like Stu/Will/Karl/Mark etc...
ive only asked a question here so please dont slag my work off ive built engines for over seven years and ive never made any big mistakes and yes i admit ive not come into contact with many tuners and i dont do the mapping at scp and im always on other jobs when the tuner is mapping cars so i never have the chance to learn from him
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:16 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Ian M500COS
Note to OP...I am the good friend Wil is referring to in his above comment....

Please beware. It is like you are saying that you would trust a reformed serial paedophile to run a youthclub. When we all know, as soon as the parents backs are turned, hes going to have his hand in their kids panties.

You are obviously clearly deluded if you think this clown is good at what he does. He isnt...he's very good at pretending to know what he does.

A little knowledge is dangerous. If you dont know anything he will appear to be a rocket scientist - a total genius to the dumb and innocent. Rockets also blow up, as did a lot of pauls engines. Mine didnt just blow up, it imploded and sucked half of gloucestershire in with it.

Anyway, thank you for informing us of his whereabouts...you have saved us all a lot of expense and grief.

Regards,

Ian

(Ł25,000 lighter ex paul hills customer)
as stated above he maps our jap cars we dont need help with fords
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:17 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fair enough I've not seen your work, but it is sound advice to distance yourself from him IMO. Simply because of what is written above/people's opinions will automactically be assuociated with your work, however good.
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:18 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Re: That map table above, I recall another mapper on here stating he thought Paul Hill mapped with an etch-a-sketch looking at some of his work
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:21 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

I wouldnt let Pauls Hill draw me a map of tescos let alone a car
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:29 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Mike Kerbey
He has the ability to map cars well, its just that he chooses not to and rush people through the door and take thier money. You might think hes amazing if you dont know what your looking at/talking about.
i may not know mapping but i do know engines and i guess we are one of the ones he can be arsed with as any car we have had mapped by him has been spot on and made good reliable power, also i think he may know my boss is would make him pay out if he fucked up

we only employ him if we havent got the equipment to map certain cars ie jap shit

he DOES NOT do mechanical work only mapping
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:31 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

looks like the very boost map that destroyed my engine? lol
oh shit that does look bad!!!
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:37 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by tabetha
Paul is a nice guy, who can do a perfect job, unfortunately this is very rare.
I like the guy as a person, found him very friendly when he set up a car for me.
I know he can do perfect work as I've driven some cars done by him, and the results have been verified on others rollers.
In my particular case the car was so rich under normal cruise light throttle that it nearly went off scale at 10.8:1 co, remember this is around 20% throttle, then around 4500rpm or so, the timing was dropped almost dead.
The printout I have(which I am happy to post) was actually showing the opposite bhp and lbft than it actually had.
As a stage 3 it made within 1bhp of the excellent GGR stage 1.
The printout showed 328.8bhp, reality was 272.0, torque showed as 288.7 reality was 257.2lbft.
Afr varied between 11 and 13.5, the boost curve looks like a saw profile, all over the place.
My car was eating plugs, I do a lot of dawdling in traffic, after some 10 minutes I had toi keep clearing it, as it started missing after fouling plugs.
This was set up by paul, inc his chip of course, since those days I run a different ecu and get roughly 30bhp more with around 4-5 psi LESS boost, I also have perfect emissions of 0.97% CO 137ppm at mot, an can crack 40mpg, all without closed loop, just decent mapping, the mot gasses were not fiddle for the mot, it simply isn't needed, this was on T34 modded head greys and 200,000 miles old engine.
The annoying thing for me is paul is very capable of doing a good job imo, just doesn't seem to want to put himself out to do so, which is a shame imo.
tabetha
this is the sort of reply i was looking for no slagging off of MY work just an answer to my question, thank you very much tabetha
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:38 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

paul hills is u shit mapper i think ill do a better job anybody going to him u might aswell come to me ill download a map for u and save u the hassle
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:42 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by jon_ross
any car we have had mapped by him has been spot on and made good reliable power,
have you ever examined one of his maps? just because it makes good power doesnt mean its right
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:52 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

ok peeps thank you for your imput i will be showing this thread to my boss i think my question has been answered well enough

can i just say that im very dedicated to my work and so is scp so please dont let this put you off as we map the fords, omex, and megasquirt ourselfs as we have the equipment to do that and he only does our customers jap cars as we dont have the equipment to do it

he doesnt touch any mechanical work as i do all of that and its always spot on as im very proud of what i do and would be devastated if i desrtroyed any engine let alone one that costs a fortune plus my boss would proberly castrate me!!

weve built alot of big power cars from mr2's to cossies and they are all spot on and on the very rare time there not we put id right without the customer paying out anymore and we are always honest in what we do and what we have done

we are all ford nuts at scp and in the perfect world we would only work on fords but doing just that wouldnt pay the bills and there are a hell of alot of jap cars down this way so it would be rude to turn them away

we are a good honest company

thank you for your time, jon

Last edited by jon_ross; 05-02-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2011 | 07:55 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
have you ever examined one of his maps? just because it makes good power doesnt mean its right
very true but they havent blown up and they run smooth so ok so far
Old 05-02-2011 | 08:14 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

he charged me just over 300 quid with the vat to screw down a head and time up as CVH,,,,,,, and i supplied the engine AND HE TOOK 3 FUCKING MONTHS TO ACTUALLY DO IT and he quoted me 150 quid but claimed the block face needed cleaning,,,,, so 100 quid to wipe with a rough cloth

after he fucked about with XRT-Si's car i personally booked him into MSD and practically towed him to blackpool to see the difference,,,,,, dont think he had any regrets tbh ( and it cost fucking less than the "running in" map from paul,, guess he had a really expensive internet connection at his old unit based on what he charges for free downloads
Old 05-02-2011 | 08:33 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

think the damage might all ready have been done to your reputation on here?
Old 05-02-2011 | 08:47 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

thought he used to work for jano a few months back?
Old 05-02-2011 | 10:19 PM
polly_x

Ian, thats an ignition map so doubt it was controlling your boost!!!

I'd be more worried that the table only had RPM values upto 3750?
Old 05-02-2011 | 10:24 PM
Cosworth Lad

Fuckin wank my car made diff power each time.
Old 05-02-2011 | 10:56 PM
wozzy
Regular Contributor

hi all im a mechanic at southcoast performance and we have paul map our big power cars and they have allways been perfect and never miss a beat and ive watched him at work alot of times and in my opinion his work is staggering. none of our cars have ever had any problems or suddenly blown up he allways does a top job, and he must be good as he maps le mons cars

i was speaking to him the other day when he was mapping the 600bhp mr2 ive built and he was saying how he is not liked very much on PF so i had a little search and all ive seen is people slagging him off and not these horror stories.

people do make mistakes and were all guilty of that. ive done some stupid mistakes in my career they were always put right and didnt cost the owner any extra money, ive mainly made mistakes on my own cars though

all i can say about paul is he is proberly the most inteligent (engine wise) person ive ever met, i mean i thought i knew allot about cars but he makes me look thick sometimes

i just want to know what hes done to piss off so many people
brilliant. that bit made me laugh so hard a bit of wee came out!!

Paul Hills couldn't keep a car running for 24 minutes let alone 24hours.

( and for the record its le man. not le mon. thats a fruit )
Old 05-02-2011 | 11:09 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

i think everybody learns from mistakes but this guy tends not to hope he changes and actually builds a good rep from reading this and learning it aint the way forward ask him to map my car for free if its good id post the graph on here so we all could see if hes done a good job if he fucks it up then ill map it and then take it elsewhere later!ol
Old 05-02-2011 | 11:36 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by wozzy

PMSL @ le mon,thats a fruit !.
Old 05-02-2011 | 11:42 PM
Camel Fiddler
Resident Camel Stalker

I read he did the mapping on the T-190 focus for Mountune. I hope not reading this......
Old 06-02-2011 | 12:25 AM
dave_s2_rst

^doubt that very much, doesn't ahmed bayjoo have ties with mountune?
Old 06-02-2011 | 12:44 AM
cossie daz
Advanced PassionFord User

had my cossie set up years ago by him

nice bloke but wouldnt trust his work at all, went to him as i wanted a rolling road print out at same time as set up
i had a new 200 block and head from woodford and all built up with new pistons etc .
had stage 3 chip by ahmed fitted and set up on road at M.A.D and ran perfectly

then after a year or so i went to him after a mate went there for rolling road set up and i wanted a graph to show the mate that built my engine .

paul hills told me he couldnt set up the car as ahmed chip was wrong but would reprogramme it for one of his own
then plugs were wrong for set up so new ones and he could then set it up

shortly after i had it set up it my mates started to run wrong and blew up

mine didnt last long either
then shortly after mine i started to hear bad things .

i rung him and said " i said it been set up and it wasnt running right and blown head gasket "

"he laughed and said who set it up "

i said " YOU DID "

he said " i can do new head gasket and fitted for Ł1200

my mates got rebuilt and running it in and blew up again
he had the car and ecu looked at and map was total shit
iirc he had to have his chip reprogrammed to a paul hills chip

i wouldnt trust him with fish and chips let alone my car.
Old 06-02-2011 | 02:21 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

any car we have had mapped by him has been spot on and made good reliable power
My car made good power, apparently 518 bhp on his rollers at 1.9 bar boost.
I took it to a rolling road shoot out but run it at 1.7 bar and it made 480bhp but was told it was very lean at the top.

I then spoke to 2 seperate tuners and was told a good top speed run would have seen my very expensive engine melt at the boost he set it to...think it was safe at 1.4 bar but nothing above.

Your company would do well to invest in the equipment to do the Jap cars yourself and cut all ties with Paul Hills.

Saying that:

oh shit that does look bad!!!
If you cannot notice that in the top left hand corner of the graph it states Base ignition map, maybe you should not be mapping either???

Last edited by Gav Diamond; 06-02-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2011 | 08:22 AM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

In this guys defense he did say that it's another employee of the company that does mapping.

@jon_ross - in your earlier replies you came across slightly defensive. I urge you to put aside any personal reaction to people's replies and instead concentrate on this point:

Paul Hills is a liability.

He has ripped people off left, right and centre. He has done bad mechanical work. He has done bad mapping work. He has done this knowingly (I mean, who wouldn't at least have an inkling that that map posted above is a load of shit) and failed to rectify his mistake or put right the damage when things go wrong. In summary, he is a lazy, bullshitting, renegade con-artist.

Chris
Old 06-02-2011 | 08:31 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

To be fair the OP did state he doesn't do any mapping.

Paul Hills was an ex-WRC mapper from what I heard, so has the ability just chooses not to use it it seems. Also partly explains why his cold start maps were totally shite.
Old 06-02-2011 | 09:13 AM
polly_x

Originally Posted by XRT_si
Paul Hills was an ex-WRC mapper from what I heard, so has the ability just chooses not to use it it seems. Also partly explains why his cold start maps were totally shite.
Why does that partly explain that?

Do you think a WRC car wouldnt have a set of cold start maps then?

Have you ever seen a WRC map and how complex they are? The amount of maps and amount of compensation tables/inputs and outputs there are for the many many more strategies and one off scenarios they need to consider for a race car like that don't compare to your normal road car stuff.

Regardless of what people think of Paul its funny to see what all the PF experts have to say on the subject!!!!

Not a dig at anyone but just a bit of balance to what's written.
Old 06-02-2011 | 09:41 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh I know from first hand experience that he's a Grade A mong.

I said 'partly' in that I assumed a WRC car would not nessacarily be mapped the same as a road car. If I'm wrong then fair play, Paul Hills has no excuses what so ever
Old 06-02-2011 | 12:00 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by wozzy

that did make me laugh, but for the record it's le mans, not le man or le mon
Old 06-02-2011 | 01:54 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
that did make me laugh, but for the record it's le mans, not le man or le mon
If anyone would,I just knew you'd beat me to point that out!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011 | 03:14 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

glad i didn't disappoint

why is this a sticky? admin error when moving to the car forum?

Quick Reply: What's the stories with Paul Hills then???