General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Head Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Jon ERST S2
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an absolute fukcing cock you are.

Laughing at someones misfortune. I hope something bad happens to you so we can all laugh at it.

NOB

Originally Posted by Ian Howell
Ref the comments I made about your car - Yep you got me - I laughed when it blew up
Old 03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Westy
So the engine failed, and you got a refund for the head??

WTF?

p.s. good luck with the rebuild this time round
No Ians head never made it onto the engine, it was sent back and an immediate refund offered.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

well least ya got your money back on it... I know what your saying tho, shouldn't of had to send it back in the first place

So what was the cause of this failure?? Any ideas?
Mine was because I had no oil
Old 03-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

for an annual post ian that is absolutely fucking hilarious
Old 03-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

PS tony go to karl
Old 03-02-2005, 08:35 PM
zvhturbo
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Garage19
If you want a really flash head job!!!

http://www.cncheads.co.uk/

You can't deny, they look like they do a decent job
Old 03-02-2005, 08:48 PM
white cab
PassionFord Regular

why dont you find out the sort of spec you would need for the head source all the parts and get a good workshop the fit them and get it flow tested so you will know that it will flow up to that power.
the trouble is if you want to flow that much from an 8v it will lack power at low rpm depending on turbo will be more laggy also
Old 03-02-2005, 08:51 PM
c6mby
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

thought karl didnt do heads for people anymore unless you bought his whole engine?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Jon ERST S2
PassionFord Post Troll

what about Race Power in Northfleet. I remeber a few people posting up they'd got them and were very happy.

http://www.racepowermotorsport.com/rscosbigvalve.htm

Old 03-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Šhatter Box
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I here ht racing in kent is very good i think it is very odd that ian has posted on here as he never wants to get Involved in this sort of think
Old 03-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Alex zvh cabrio
i think it is very odd that ian has posted on here as he never wants to get Involved in this sort of think
That'll be because someone phoned him to tell him about my statement against him.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:34 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Tony/Christian, MGSTU may be worth a private message he and his brother do heads and have access to a flow bench etc
Old 03-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Tony Turbo
www.ctuceilings.co.uk

Hmmmmmmm... Some interesting replies there lol.

Thanks to Ian I am not going to say anything more on the subject for fear of turning this post into a slagging match.

Like Mr C hinted, I will be ringing him in the afternoon and we will be making a decision tomorrow. It's a real shame that Karl is busy. Many people have suggested numerous times, why not fit a standard engine to get it running etc, that is a complete waste of time and money... Mapping isn't cheap. APT are helping me out but I can't expect them to do all my mapping for free, and Omex set the prices.

RE: Failure, this isn't really the place. I have said on the BB why, I am sure you could find it if you really wanted to...

Cheers all (well, almost all )
Old 03-02-2005, 11:13 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ian Howell
Phil Holmes was more that happy to accept that old CVH head with a light peppering of det marks, and surprisingly (to you only?)

Ref the comments I made about your car - Yep you got me - I laughed when it blew up, and laughed even more when Christian said 'it could have been one of many things' - That's a great advert for a tuner!
I can fully understand why Tony/Christian didnt want to use the head you ported, i wouldnt have used it either. For the amount of money you charged for this head i would have been completely dissatsified with the final product. It maybe have been upto the job reguarding flow but it did look rather 2nd hand, and when your spending that much on a head you expect it to be 100% perfect.

As for comments made @ Brunters it was harsh, i mean how can you diagnose the reason for Tony's engine failure from 1.6 miles away and less than 15 mins after it happened and then laugh at Tony's misfortune ??? Sorry but thats really poor
Old 04-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Andy-R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

With referance to the above statement Andy,

I was chatting to Ian at the time Tony launched his car, and I dont think Ian would have had to have been 1.6 miles away to have heard what I heard.

We both looked at each other at the same time knowing it was terminal.

Get a grip lads why bring up past grievences especialy when they have been settled. The way your slating Ian you'd have thought he was responsible for Tonys car blowing.

As for getting your head sorted Tony I hope you find someone who is willing to take on the job and you have it back and your car setup sharpish.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Andy,

The only reason I had a dig at Ian was because of the remark he made to my face at Brunters. I just COULDNT BELIEVE what I was hearing. Just imagine the shoe on the other foot? I know that Ian would have taken it personally, as would anyone. I could list 10 reasons without even switching my brain on that could put Tony's failure down to something other than mapping. Also, just because you/Ian heard something from Tony's car on the Runway, how does that suppport the statement about mapping any more?? Of course it was terminal, the engine is now in pieces. It was a blatant example of jumping to a conclusion.

My car had a severe misfire on that day, as I am sure many of you were aware. Do you think that was down to the Map??

I can tell you for a FACT that it was a dodgy set of Hydraulic Lifters. How do I know this?? Because I have now changed them and the misfire has gone. It would have been easy for anyone to say on the day that it was a mapping issue.

During my search for people to do Heads/Cams, I have learnt ALOT. I have learnt that there are ALOT of people out there that claim they can do something special, but in reality can't. Take Newman for example, do they make Custom Cams for CVH's?? As knowledgable as they may or may not be, the answer is NO. They have ONE cam for CVH Turbo. The list goes on.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Turbo
RE: Failure, this isn't really the place. I have said on the BB why, I am sure you could find it if you really wanted to...
Im not that bothered that i will search for it I was just genuinely interested in why it failed Especially, being so new...

Anyway, best of luck with the new build
Old 04-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Jon ERST S2
PassionFord Post Troll

HT's are supposed to be good. Mark from BSW used to work there years back. I hear they aren't the quickest people around at getting work done and they tend to do more N/A stuff... AFAIK
Old 04-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Andy-R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Andy,

Take Newman for example, do they make Custom Cams for CVH's?? As knowledgable as they may or may not be, the answer is NO. They have ONE cam for CVH Turbo. The list goes on.
Your wrong there M8 as we have had 3 different speced cams from Newman All made to Allans Spec.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:48 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Take Newman for example, do they make Custom Cams for CVH's?? As knowledgable as they may or may not be, the answer is NO. They have ONE cam for CVH Turbo. The list goes on.
i thought you knew a lot about turbo's until i heard this stupid statement.
newman do and always have done several cams for the cvh

andys(b8) and mine are completely different cams specced for our engine
i was offered the same cam as hes got,why would they offer me the same cam with promises of gains bhp wise.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

You gotta love these posts.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:05 PM
S1MAN
Regular Contributor

Talk to Andy Weston at Cylinder Head Developments in Bromsgrove
Old 04-02-2005, 05:32 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Newman will make any cam you want wont they?

alex
Old 04-02-2005, 05:40 PM
T28 RST
Ok then

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B8
Andy,

Your wrong there M8 as we have had 3 different speced cams from Newman All made to Allans Spec.

I also have a Newman cam in my car,

Me, B8 and JamboRST all have didfferent spec cams in our CVHs.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Originally Posted by T28 RST
Originally Posted by B8
Andy,

I also have a Newman cam in my car,

Me, B8 and JamboRST all have didfferent spec cams in our CVHs.

worms...... can....... open.......
Old 04-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by JamboRST
i thought you knew a lot about turbo's until i heard this stupid statement.
newman do and always have done several cams for the cvh

andys(b8) and mine are completely different cams specced for our engine
i was offered the same cam as hes got,why would they offer me the same cam with promises of gains bhp wise.
That in itself is a narrow-minded answer. I suggested that NEWMAN only offer ONE cam. That is a fact. They do. Phone them yourself. If someone else is designing a Cam Profile and getting Newman to make it, then thats different. Piper and Kent will do exactly the same, infact they will copy each others cams too, to a certain extent. But Newman certainly DO NOT offer several cams. Prove me wrong, list the part numbers.

Alan (AVA) is VERY knowledgable, I have had several conversations with him and I totally believe that he is capable of spec'ing a Cam, but it was always referred to as "If you want a Custom Cam, then speak to Newman". I did just that and he very openly admitted that he can't help. He also admitted that he is having alot of problems with his Solid Lifters.

Other than that, of all the people I have spoken to in the last few weeks, I think Karl is the only other one that I am confident he could Spec a cam.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:42 PM
nigel b
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ive got a vulcan head on one of my cars-no problem with it at all

what about mark shead?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Andy-R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Andy,

Take Newman for example, do they make Custom Cams for CVH's?? As knowledgable as they may or may not be, the answer is NO.
Alan (AVA) is VERY knowledgable, I have had several conversations with him and I totally believe that he is capable of spec'ing a Cam, but it was always referred to as
"If you want a Custom Cam, then speak to Newman".
I did just that and he very openly admitted that he can't help.

Christian Custom-built by definition is made to order following customers specification......

You stated quite clearly that Newman do not make a Custom Cam when the fact of the matter is THEY DO, if you were to have given a brief with specs for a cam then a custom cam would have been made.

So it could be said to make things a little more accurate and nearer the truth.

You went shopping but didnt know exactly what you were shopping for...... Oh and the shop assistant may or may not have been knowlegable.......and because you didnt know what you wanted in the 1st place..........and therefore didnt get it.

Then the shop assistant is Shit?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:58 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

if AVA are givin newman the spec they want the cam to be made to, then newman make the cam then newman make custom cams get it
you said they dont when clearly they do and have done.
if you think that people are goin to give away there cam specs to you, that they have spent months developin then your very much mistaken
they offer 1 cam OFF THE SHELF like piper and kent offer there cams but they will spec any cam for you with the info you give them

case closed
Old 04-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Its all a big contradiction of terms. Please read and understand this before commenting.

When Custom Cams were discussed, it was at the same time as Karls Custom Cams were also mentioned.

I am lead to believe that you could get Karl to spec you a Cylinder Head, Turbo and consequently a matching CUSTOM cam. This is then be called an NMS Custom Cam. Even though I still believe to this day that Karl doesn't actually grind it (and I don't hold that against him). After all, Cam grinding equipment isnt something you can just pick up on Ebay.

You cannot go to Newman and tell them the spec of your engine and ask them to design you a cam, therefore they cannot supply you with a Custom Cam. They will offer you the one and only CVH Turbo cam that they produce.

You can, however, go to AVA and Alan will spec you a cam, which he will instruct Newman to do. That to me is an AVA cam on the same basis that the one that Karl offers is an NMS cam.

Similarly, I would imagine that Ahmed can do a Cam. You will probably never know who physically made it, but you would refer to it as an Ahmed cam.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:16 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

I'm hearing you Christian
Old 04-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by adamS2RST
I'm glad someone is!!

Here's another example. Ford. How many Ford parts do Ford actually make?? Take Head Gaskets for example. An RS Turbo Head Gasket from Ford is known as a genuine Ford Head Gasket. It is actually made for Ford to their spec, by Payen. We dont refer to it as a Payen Head Gasket do we?

I think thats where the confusion arises.

Its a shame that on all the MANY cam discussion threads that have been started in the past (not just by me), you AVA boys didn't say 'AVA can do you a cam', because I might have phoned and asked. Instead, lots of people said 'Newman' can do you a Custom Cam, so I phoned them and found that they said 'No, we can't help you.'. Its as simple as that.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:24 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

To me christians definition is correct. I think he is saying newman dont have a range of cams prebuilt ready to buy of the shelf, they have only the one which they have based on a certain criteria of engine, perhaps theyre equivalent of a kent cam or piper one.

Karl and Alan are going to design a cam based on each persons individual setup and the criteria for drivability the customer wants. So this may be an xyz duration cam etc.. for a car with a t34 turbo running xyz compression with xyz spec head which could be very different from the next car that comes in. So they work out the design send it to be ground into spec they briefed or carry out this themselves if they have the equipment to do so. Hence a custom cam being produced for every engine and not a mass produced one such as the piper 285t.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:25 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

it may be an AVA specced cam but who does it? newman
which means newman do custom cams
as said they will not give you a cam off the shelf that someone else has spent
a long time developin thats what we pay the tuners for not to let them do they hard work then take there designs
it may be that ava and newman have worked together on this design,who knows
so there not going to give you that cam off the shelf
they dont throw engines together everythin is developed,tried and tested
and definately not for anyone else to know
ask karl for the spec of his cams will he tell you, no
my cam,andys cam and davies cam were all specced with the engine not just biggest this and
out of interest christian at what rpm does your car make peak power?
Old 04-02-2005, 09:28 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Having worked in the industry, it's amazing how "custom" some "custom" stuff actually is!

As for what you said earlier Christian, it's a real shame Tony can't wait for Karl.

I've had firsthand experience with CVH heads done by Karl, and you would not believe the finished article.

As a direct result of that, when my engine gets rebuilt, the head will be done by Karl if I have to wait a year!

Best of luck with what you decide though...........
Old 04-02-2005, 09:29 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Originally Posted by adamS2RST
I'm glad someone is!!

Here's another example. Ford. How many Ford parts do Ford actually make?? Take Head Gaskets for example. An RS Turbo Head Gasket from Ford is known as a genuine Ford Head Gasket. It is actually made for Ford to their spec, by Payen. We dont refer to it as a Payen Head Gasket do we?

I think thats where the confusion arises.

Its a shame that on all the MANY cam discussion threads that have been started in the past (not just by me), you AVA boys didn't say 'AVA can do you a cam', because I might have phoned and asked. Instead, lots of people said 'Newman' can do you a Custom Cam, so I phoned them and found that they said 'No, we can't help you.'. Its as simple as that.
if you had to phone AVA and ask them for a cam they wouldn't sell you a newman one either
they dont sell them they are designed along with engines that they have produced and developed with engine spec in mind
Old 04-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Andy-R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It appears that the contradiction in terms that you refer to :- ie a statement that contradicts itsself would apply to the definition of the term "Custom Cam"

My definition and am sure its not just a Scottish thing, (I must check the English dictionary ) would be one that is made to order following customers specification......

AVA in this case being the customer.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:40 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Andy,

Agreed, but YOU instigate the purchase of the "custom" cam by AVA by being the end user and end purchaser.

I think the point that Christian makes is that you can't wander into Newman and ask for a cam to fit a CVH with this CR, such and such a turbo, these lifters etc.

They make cams, and don't spec engines.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

It just seems like Manipulation of words.

The original Context was, Who cam provide me with a Custom Cam?

The answer is Newman can't. Phone them on Monday and ask them to provide you with a Custom cam for a 1600 CVH running a 0.63 T34. They CANNOT do it. I would bet money on it.

Do Sainsburys make all their stuff? Do they fook. Yet we refer to Sainsburys Toilet Rolls as Sainsburys Toilet Rolls.

OK, I accept that Newman almost certainly HAVE got the equipment to grind cams, but for all we know, hypothetically speaking they might be subbing it out to Piper. They are all in Kent after all. I'm just saying that to prove a point.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:48 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Andy,

Agreed, but YOU instigate the purchase of the "custom" cam by AVA by being the end user and end purchaser.

I think the point that Christian makes is that you can't wander into Newman and ask for a cam to fit a CVH with this CR, such and such a turbo, these lifters etc.

They make cams, and don't spec engines.
they dont just make them they customize them which would make it a custom cam to customers specification

Quick Reply: Head Work