General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Why are people so retarded!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dug112y
I WAIT TILL THE LAST 15 SECONDS but its a proper pisser when you dont win and would have been prepared to go just 'a little bit more' lol
well if you was prepared to pay a little more why not bid at that anmount?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Tank Mike
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
This is why ebay is basically flawed as an "auction" site.
Putting a time limit on, means people will try to snipe it.

In a real auction everyone bids in real-time until no-one will increase the bid any more.
To make ebay more realistic, the seller should have the absolute power to stop the auction at any time during his 7 days so all the snipers would have to bid whatever the item is worth to them or risk coming back and finding it gone.
Im pritty sure you can do that
Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

So... hypothetically....your prepared to pay Ł100 for an item you really want so you wait 6 days for the auctions last few seconds to put your bid in.
Then someone else comes along that also really wants the item but is prepared to pay Ł120 does the same and wins it.
Dont you wish you had just put your bid in at the start and got outbid early enough to find another similar item? (like the one you didnt bid, on that finished 3 days ago for Ł80 with no bidding war at the end)
Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM
the mk1 kid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Surely the best way is to bid the maximum you're prepared to pay in the dying seconds of the auction to PREVENT anyone from having the chance to bid above you. I can't see how that's retarded in the slightest. It's the best way to get what you want for price you're prepared to pay, with the potential to get it cheaper.
I 100% agree!!

Tom
Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brad
Dont you wish you had just put your bid in at the start and got outbid early enough to find another similar item? (like the one you didnt bid, on that finished 3 days ago for Ł80 with no bidding war at the end)
Your argument doesn't stack up, as you'd have already bid on the item that went 3 days ago, and got it for Ł19 under your budget because you'd sniped it at the last second.

If you're prepared to pay a set amount for an item, then the best policy is to keep your cards to your chest until the very end of the auction. If you bid early, it gives someone else the chance to out bid you which is very daft.

I take it you're not a gambling man
Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

eBay isn't gambling dan, it's about the seller wanting it for the lowest price possible and the seller wanting to flog it for the highest price possible, time plays not part in this game other than you've got 10 days in which to bid for the item (in most cases) so bidding at the start or bidding at the end is o lh an option if you have the time to sit there and refresh the page time and again.

What I loved about the snipping fuckers that I beat a while back was that I put in a ridiculous bid for something I wanted, I thunk it was a new unpainted st wing, and I bid more than it was worth from the main dealer, and I watched it for the last 30 mi kites or so and the price went from my original 99p bid to something stupid at around the Ł130 mark until the auction ended.

On the flip side, I had already bought some side skirts from the same seller for the bargain price of Ł25 so he was happy and so was I

If I REALLY want something I'll find at least 10 others if possible and watch them all and bid on them slowly to ensure that I spread my bets, but if I can o ly find one, like when the guy who was selling issue 1 of ff, I mailed him to see what he would take for it and paid him as soon as his answer came through, and, as a bonus, he sent me issue 2 for free where as I was going to put a bid on both and pontetially lose both or pay way over the odds for them.

But at the same time I don't start crying if I get outbid, well, only inside because I've forgotten about the auction
Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Madbradz
WWW.goofy.com

Automatic free sniper.
Originally Posted by Madbradz
Oops I meant goofbay.com
there's this feature where you can edit your posts, it's really useful