General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Zetec oil pump failures - some actual definative FACTS please...

Search this Thread

Old 25-01-2011, 10:58 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dug112y

so i might have a turbo tester for these then si.

the steel crank thing for reducing nose flex is interesting too.
Are you offering any guarantees to the people testing for you? If there was a pump failure that resulted in engine meltdown, what would be your standpoint?

Last edited by massivewangers; 25-01-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 25-01-2011, 11:00 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by clarke5700
whats the cost of a dry sump set up? compaired to a steal crank?? would a more solid crank stop thease problems????

steel crank £1700+

dry sump system £1100 pace or titan
mine pace kit cost £850 for the full kit sold the pump for £370 and brought a drag racing pump from america for £900 including the pulley
pace told me that there pump was designed for the formula ford engine and they had no feed back on a turbo zetec which did not fill me with confidence , armstrong dry sumps however said that pumps like the titan and pace does not pull a internal vacuum thats needed on a high boosted engine and that his pumps are used on 1400bhp 2.0litre drag engines and are the finest quality , believe when turning the pumps over by hand the suction between the pace pump and the armstrong pump are light years apart, the only down side is i had to make a bracket to hold the pump and buy a different sized belt and alter the hose connections on the sump

cheers paul
Old 25-01-2011, 11:00 PM
RAT8OY
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the issue with the water jacket...is that on silvertop or blacktop. is the st170 better as its totally diferent in casting?
Silver top as far as my knowledge goes. I am more than happy to be proved wrong as any REAL life input on this is more than welcome.

Where there is a will there's a way!
Old 25-01-2011, 11:03 PM
RAT8OY

Originally Posted by clarke5700
hence there is internet forums where people get togever and talk about there problems and see if they can fine a way out.
With the greatest of respect I don't understand where your coming from?
Old 25-01-2011, 11:09 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Are you offering any guarantees to the people testing you? If there was a pump failure that resulted in engine meltdown, what would be your standpoint?
as it for a racing engine no warranty.if someone wants to test them its their choice but i would help them as much as i could .i have had these made for myself so have taken a lot of time and cut no corners as i wouldnt want them to fuck up in my engines. they have been tested for months but not in a high power turbo car.had no problems so far.

if you bought a dry sump kit and it broke would they pay for a new engine??
if you bought big valves and one dropped would the valve supplier buy you a new engine/head??
Old 25-01-2011, 11:14 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RAT8OY
Silver top as far as my knowledge goes. I am more than happy to be proved wrong as any REAL life input on this is more than welcome.

Where there is a will there's a way!
if i remember right its both blacktop and silvertop engines that why even on big valve heads you hardly never see any porting on the exhaust side and if there is it very minimal.thats why mine looks like standard i had to have a good luck to see if anything had actually been done lol.
not sure about the st170 head

dan it will be in the post by 5 tomoz and cheers

cheers paul
Old 25-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

as it for a racing engine no warranty.if someone wants to test them its their choice but i would help them as much as i could .i have had these made for myself so have taken a lot of time and cut no corners as i wouldnt want them to fuck up in my engines. they have been tested for months but not in a high power turbo car.had no problems so far.

if you bought big valves and one dropped would the valve supplier buy you a new engine/head??
Just to give you a quick heads up, I looked into remanufacturing the billet geared pumps after I found out about 3 billet geared pumps (in the UK alone) that had failed.

I spent a LONG time and a LOT of money on non destructive testing and spoke with a lot of people who have considerably more knowledge than me (including some of my old F1 colleagues) and the conclusion was, in summary, "don't bother".

It is physically impossible to increase the amount of material in the recesses where the pump gear rotates. It's in these recesses that the stress raisers form and ultimately crack from.

I was close to £1000 in with all the research and development costs before I called it a day
Old 25-01-2011, 11:33 PM
RAT8OY

Hear hear!

You cannot polish a turd! Hench anybody who has tuned a zetec will tell you,...

DRY SUMP!
Old 25-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Big Will_

Originally Posted by RAT8OY
Hear hear!

You cannot polish a turd! Hench anybody who has tuned a zetec will tell you,...

DRY SUMP!
Yup. Annoyingly, that £1000 that I spent trying to create a solution for all of us (and didn't!) would have been over half the cost of a dry sump

As it is, i'm still on a billet geared pump myself for now. If I get a windfall and have the money, dry sump is my next step for sure.
Old 25-01-2011, 11:41 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Originally Posted by Will Pedley
Just to give you a quick heads up, I looked into remanufacturing the billet geared pumps after I found out about 3 billet geared pumps (in the UK alone) that had failed.

I spent a LONG time and a LOT of money on non destructive testing and spoke with a lot of people who have considerably more knowledge than me (including some of my old F1 colleagues) and the conclusion was, in summary, "don't bother".

It is physically impossible to increase the amount of material in the recesses where the pump gear rotates. It's in these recesses that the stress raisers form and ultimately crack from.

I was close to £1000 in with all the research and development costs before I called it a day

thanks for the heads up mate...i've done similar to yourself also with good contacts but the end response was different because i was advised it was more the poor quality of mass manufactured sintered gears that were not up to the punishment they are taking from the crank that was the issue not their design. so i went ahead and got them done.
i take it the billet geared pumps you are talking about blacktops???with cfm gears
Old 26-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Big Will_

thanks for the heads up mate...i've done similar to yourself also with good contacts but the end response was different because i was advised it was more the poor quality of mass manufactured sintered gears that were not up to the punishment they are taking from the crank that was the issue not their design. so i went ahead and got them done.
i take it the billet geared pumps you are talking about blacktops???with cfm gears
Yes mate. I know of 3 sets of CFM billet gears that have failed, 1 on a NASP car, the other 2 on forced induction cars.

I got hold of one set of broken billet gears, a broken standard, a new set of billet geared and a new standard and sent them all off for anaylsis/inspection.

The design comment was aimed at the billet geared ones as we knew from the outset that the sintered ones were shit
Old 26-01-2011, 07:58 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

interesting thread!
Old 26-01-2011, 08:27 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
more fool them , if one is robptt then tell me and i can talk him round as hes coming to my house on 5 feb, maybe less blacktop pumps break as theres only one i know that pushing decent bhp and thats paul johnson , i can name 4 big bhp silvertops , dan arrowsmith (broke) , luca (broke) , laims (broke) and mine (never broke so iam the lucky one)
sorry lads i had too

cheers paul
Rob isn't one of them no

As Clarke said, Alex's Blacktop engine had a early low rev oil pump fail which was put down to shit pulleys. It went on to do 440bhp with no sign of problems and had a very hard life.

Crazycage has done 25k (MUCH more mileage than any other car here) peaking around 370bhp now and never had a problem.

I think it's fair to say Blacktops have a stronger oil pump.

I thought steel crank would be another way to combat it, but as stated it's not economically viable compared to a dry sump.
Old 26-01-2011, 08:30 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Interesting there's been different findings on billet gears too.

Will; I know the designs are similar inside the pumps but would your findings be 100% comparable with Silvertops?
Old 26-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Sazybk had a pump failure on billet gears too. Which is also why he went for the dry sump.

If you are pushing good strong power matched with high revs and thrashing the car constantly, then dry sump should be seriously considered.

With regards Paul changing pump design for a race spec item.

I know Titan have now released a new “gear” type pump, the TG2 which is an upgrade over the rotor style pump that is supplied standard with the kits.

Steel crank is something to think about when going for a 600+hp engine.
I really don’t see the need below that, the dry sump kit would be a better investment!

Last edited by Luca; 26-01-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 26-01-2011, 08:43 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

as it for a racing engine no warranty
This is the beauty of making performance parts, no one will offer warranty, so you pay a premium for them and then get no back up when it goes wrong, its win win for the supplier. And your left with no choice but to buy another as what other option is there?
Old 26-01-2011, 10:20 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Without wishing to cause offence, that would seriously put me off. If I built an engine and offered to help you develop your kit, and that directly resulted in my expensive engine failing, I would expect at least some kind of help in rebuilding it.

It's an awful lot to risk, and could mean a large financial loss for those testing it for you. Especially for those wanting to build a turbocharged engine, the standard oil pump may work fine, and your upgrade which has had limited testing may directly cause failure. To expect the customer to cover the cost of that failure seems a bit extreme to me. If you can find people willing to risk that, then fair play though.

It is a shame that a solution can't be found, as the dry sump idea suddenly makes the Zetec turbo idea a very expensive proposition. However, it does seem that the black top is less susceptible to the failure than the silver top, and using standard pulleys and things does seem to help with that. Undoubtedly some risk involved, but I can see why people don't want to go down the dry sump route!
Old 26-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Big Will_

Originally Posted by chaffe
This is the beauty of making performance parts, no one will offer warranty, so you pay a premium for them and then get no back up when it goes wrong, its win win for the supplier. And your left with no choice but to buy another as what other option is there?
Exactly. However, I chose not to tarnish my reputation by supplying parts that would potentially lead to engine failures and warranty arguments etc.
Old 26-01-2011, 10:27 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

but I can see why people don't want to go down the dry hump route!
i always find a dry hump is better than a dry sump IME

Last edited by chaffe; 26-01-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 26-01-2011, 10:45 AM
AustenW

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My personal view is that its down to harmonics and possibly crank flex at a certain RPM, I'm no expert but its what people have told me who do this for a living.

That is why all 1800 Formula Ford engines I have seen run a dry sump for reliability

My steel farndon crank is over 2kg heavier than standard to reduce flexing, I have hadd all the bottom end dynamically balanced and also run a dry sump system

If using the std set up get it properly balanced by someone like vibration free and fit a proper crank dampener pully like the TCI Rattler

Their about £350 from vibration free

http://www.vibrationfree.co.uk/Rattler.htm
Old 26-01-2011, 10:51 AM
AustenW

If your in the market to buy a dry sump pump get it from here:

http://www.aviaid.com/

They supply Motor Design in Sweden who do work for Ford WRC and Ford Rally Cross cars

http://www.motordesign.se/

Thats who I'm getting my new pump from for my Focus Rs 5 cyl engine
Old 26-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Sp3no

Would billet main caps reduce flex?
Old 26-01-2011, 11:30 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'd imagine it's more crank flexing around caps as such.
Old 26-01-2011, 11:48 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

http://www.raceline.co.uk/products/p...2&CategoryID=2

Anyone seen/tried/used/heard of these? (the system not Raceline).
Old 26-01-2011, 12:15 PM
AustenW

Originally Posted by Sp3no
Would billet main caps reduce flex?
Impossible to comment without measuring it with load sensors which I doubt anyone has done on this forum
Old 26-01-2011, 12:16 PM
AustenW

Originally Posted by XRT_si
http://www.raceline.co.uk/products/p...2&CategoryID=2

Anyone seen/tried/used/heard of these? (the system not Raceline).
I've used Raceline for alot of stuff in the past, good guys

The link looks like a titan kit IMO
Old 26-01-2011, 12:28 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by AustenW
I've used Raceline for alot of stuff in the past, good guys

The link looks like a titan kit IMO
I thought that looking at the sump.
Old 26-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Luca
Lukesville

The image is indeed of a Titan
Old 26-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Crazycage has done 25k (MUCH more mileage than any other car here) peaking around 370bhp now and never had a problem.

I think it's fair to say Blacktops have a stronger oil pump.
That engine has been through pure hell. The rev limit is 7300 and it has been there a LOT - pretty much the length of the pit straight at Donno! It's on WRC rods which are big heavy things not really designed to spin that quickly.

The black top with it's alloy crank case means it is more rigid than a siver top which will help in these applications.

Rick

Last edited by Rick; 26-01-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 26-01-2011, 12:48 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by Rick
The black top with it's alloy crank case means it is more rigid than a siver top which will help in these applications.

Rick
Black and silvertop both have cast iron blocks?
Old 26-01-2011, 01:01 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Black and silvertop both have cast iron blocks?
I think he means the alloy brace on bottom of the block mate
Old 26-01-2011, 01:09 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Without wishing to cause offence, that would seriously put me off. If I built an engine and offered to help you develop your kit, and that directly resulted in my expensive engine failing, I would expect at least some kind of help in rebuilding could mean a large financial loss for those testing it for you.
No offence taken but if you read my post again I said I would do all I could to help. But there is not enough money or volume in selling them to afford to pay a 5k+ engine warranty... Also if it did go there would be nothing to say that it wouldn't be down to bad engine balancing etc.your already taking a risk using STD gears. But I totally agree with what you are saying......they are very difficult to test because some STD pumps are fine so how would you know??
Old 26-01-2011, 01:59 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

I think he means the alloy brace on bottom of the block mate
a girdle? i just built a blacktop and it never had one?
Old 26-01-2011, 03:27 PM
SiZT

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

a girdle? i just built a blacktop and it never had one?
It's not a girdle, it's the lower crank case/windage tray. It bolts to the block and then the sump bolts to it
Old 26-01-2011, 04:12 PM
mattseries2

Bit worried now as im going ZT.
But no one makes a dry sump setup that bolts straight onto a FWD Zetec.
How have people got round this?
What do i need to buy? What kit? What extras?
How much work is it?
Old 26-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Dlatch!

interesting thread
Old 26-01-2011, 05:58 PM
robp-tt
ZETEC TURBO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ime thinking I will need a dry sump now what have people used to fit them in to a fwd car?
Old 26-01-2011, 06:17 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by robp-tt
Ime thinking I will need a dry sump now what have people used to fit them in to a fwd car?
Seems if you're on a Blacktop, have standard pulleys and flywheel, and don't rev higher than 7200 then they are pretty bullet proof, unless you're going mental power.
Old 26-01-2011, 06:25 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems if you're on a Blacktop, have standard pulleys and flywheel, and don't rev higher than 7200 then they are pretty bullet proof, unless you're going mental power.
agree .
Old 26-01-2011, 06:35 PM
creator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robp-tt

Have a word ith luke rob,i remeber seeing in his project thread jkm had to mod it but xant remember exactly what they did

Quick Reply: Zetec oil pump failures - some actual definative FACTS please...