General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ford mondeo burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 AM
geelion
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford mondeo burning oil

hi there can anyone help

ford mondeo mk3 76k 53 reg 500miles driving a month, using 1 litre oil is this valve seals gone or o rings also spark plugs full with oil when i took them out is that rocker gasket gone any suggesiton will be much appreciated

thanks

g singh
Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on the inside of the rocker cover, around the spark plug holes, there is rubber o rings, are they present ?. if it was the rocker cover gasket, i would expect the oil to be leaking outside the head, between the head and rocker cover, not into the spark plugs. also, when was the last time it was serviced ?, and what grade oil was used ?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

common problem with these isnt it? burning oil?

I went to look at a 52 reg 1800 zetec a couple of weeks ago but it was knackered. Its the rings isnt it im sure, if the spark plug hole outside of the engine are filling with oil then the rocker gasket has gone aswell. Wouldnt even bother pissing around tryna repair the current engine just get a replacement from scrappers.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
geelion
Virgin

Default oil burning

thanks for all ur reply,people i will check put no o rings aroung sparkplugs, oil in engine 10w 40 i know its the wrong oil put the 5w 30 was dispering quick so i topped it up with 10w 40 w will this mess the engine i will do service again, last service done about 6months ago. no smoke from engine ?i will replace rocker cover gasket as ther is oil aroung ht leads too..

thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ford recommend 5w 30 semi-synthetic for all zetec and duratec engines mate, and its all ive ever used in all my cars. though last time i did an oil and filter change, i used mobil one 5w 30 fully synthetic. the only reason i mentioned your oil, is my car was using a bit of oil, about a litre every 1500 miles or so, and i just kept topping it up. that said, its 13 year old and done 111k miles, but still, it had no leaks, so it was using it. but since ive done the oil and filter change, and used fully synthetic, it hardly uses any oil at all, ive done about 3k miles since, and only topped it up twice, and that was just a drop.

so if i was you, and its deffinatly not overly burning oil and smoking, (ie, the piston rings are fu*ked), and its got different grades of oil in it from you topping it up, id do a full oil and filter change to 5w 30, and check the o rings under the rocker cover in the spark plug holes, and obviously, if the rocker cover is off, change the gasket aswel.

all of that wont cost the earth, and its worth doing to see if it susses the problem, before you start spending proper money on it.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 PM
geelion
Virgin

Default thanks

thanks for all your advice mate i will do what u say and do a full service with the right oil and change o rings and hope it solve the problem thanks again much appreicated

takecare.

g singh
Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Thats using more oil than cossies do.

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-2011, 06:23 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Oil starvation due to the incorrect oil grade has probably accelerated engine wear, thus causing the loss of oil. Does it smoke out of the exhaust when revving hard?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
geelion
Virgin

yes mate it Does it smoke out of the exhaust when revving hard?

what is the problem here engine fu*ked up. or worn out..