General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Porsche 964

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 PM
StephTell
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche 964

Right then, after watching Californication I got thinking about the Porsche Hank Moody drives.
Apart from it being a convertable I found it amusing that he drives it dirty and damaged and generally doesn't give shit.

So how would a 911 (964) do as a daily hack?
Am I wrong in thinking it will be utterly reliable if not bombproof?

Granted, with only 250 BHP it will be slow as fuck especially if it's 4WD BUT it should make it even better for daily driving...especially after fitting a supercharger lol

My intention is to stick it on steel rims, vinylwrap it flat black and to NEVER wash it again after that!

Opinions, experiences? C'mon Porsche boffins: get cracking!

P.S. Yes a turbo would be much faster and looks much better but that would be too tempting to start arsing about with...and 'turbolook' just isn't an option although loads can be had: all show and no go...!

Last edited by StephTell; 10-01-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 AM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My old boss has had a 964 since 1997, it's been very reliable. He doesn't exactly look after it and thrashes it from cold every time he leaves. It's done about 140,000 now, only problems he's had are rusty bits and the washers not working!

I'd love a 964, with the right bits they look great.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:14 AM
xr2 xr2 xr2
xr2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I could I'd buy one reliable or not! One of my fave cars!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mate of mine has a 1991 C2 that's his track toy, he's spent a good bit of time and money fettling it over the last 3 years and it goes and stops VERY well indeed.

It's been extremely reliable since he bought it, drives it to and from track days all over the country.

There is a knack to driving them fast though....

Last time we were at Donny, my Saff only just had the legs on it on the straights, nothing in it through the bends, and i'm generally a more ballsy driver than him.

Last edited by plynchy; 11-01-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I wouldn't buy one and vinyl wrap it and not wash it,would be a complete waste of time and money IMHO,you'd just look a complete twat tbh!!!

Buy one,enjoy it and use it,a really good reliable car,but if you want to make some sort of statement that you drive a nice car but don't give a fuck about it I think your barking up the wrong tree,nobody will "get it",they'll just think you bought a shit porsche cos you can't afford a good one!!!!

If your going to effectively "rat look" a decent car then vinyl wrap something that's a bit newer so people can see what a "crazy guy" you are,at least you can remove it after you get fed up of the abuse.

As you may guess,I don't get the rat look,only on something like an old hot rod or drag car does it work,all these pricks driving round in deliberately damaged,rust accelerated polo's and the like with cut off 100mm drop springs and banded steels just look like utter twats to me.

Funny how Their rat rods only get done once then scrapped off a year later as the appeal of everyone laughing at what a gippo you look soon wears off......along with the bone crushing suspension,appalling ride,shit handling and constant police attention.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 PM
StephTell
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL

Well it isn't so much the 'ratlook' I'm after, nor demonstrating what a 'crazy guy' I am lol

I love the 964 classic shape and the 993 turbo shape.
The turbo is a bit o.t.t. for daily driving as far as I'm concerned so it would have to be the 964.
A 996 is readily availible over here and quite cheap at that but I just don't like them AT ALL.

The vinylwrap will protect the original laquer from the elements so that, even though I 'd never wash it, it won't actually suffer too badly.

Other than that I'd really enjoy a car that wouldn't have me bothered about it's looks but that is still enjoyable to drive.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
twoblacklines
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

964's are nice, 250hp isnt slow for an aircooled engine. Its more about the feel of the drive with aircooled its one for the purists, and its one of the most purist cars you can get.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:23 PM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

Talking

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
964's are nice, 250hp isnt slow for an aircooled engine. Its more about the feel of the drive with aircooled its one for the purists, and its one of the most purist cars you can get.
Well Said!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 PM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

There not slow by any means. Seem to be going up in prices aswell.