General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

how much to spray a shell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:10 PM
scoobypete
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how much to spray a shell?

want to get my 3door rep sprayed soom, its going frozen white have all the paint (2k) thinners, herdner and a few little bits. i was told but the paint guy i should only need to scotch all the body up and its a light colour allredy and then being 2k can go straight on top then it has the laquer allredy mixed in? what just wondering what sort of price would i be looking at if i prepped it all and masked it how much it would cost as am abit woried about doing it myself. will only be the shell, no bumpers, spoiler ect.. was hoping for around the £100 mark but i honestly dont know
thanx peter
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Ryan_3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just sand it down with 320 grid sandpaper if its going 2K. in Malta they normally charge around 1200 euros for an allover.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 PM
scoobypete

ok danny thank you i think its going to be me and a few mates then, dont have anywhere near that kind of money should i use primer then or will it bk ok being 2k? what is the finish usaly like when it has the laquer in the paint?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobypete
ok danny thank you i think its going to be me and a few mates then, dont have anywhere near that kind of money should i use primer then or will it bk ok being 2k? what is the finish usaly like when it has the laquer in the paint?
2k is properly poisonous mate, be very careful.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah you cant be using 2k in a garage mate or you could end up bad

also no bodyshop is gonna be bothered with a job with no prep work ect as its no money for them so unless they are dead ( which usually tells you something about them) its gonna be a grand to get it done but they will start to finish it

its the price of the tools/extractors and booth ect you need to consider with a bodyshop hence they usually have a min charge
Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM
scoobypete

i can borro at the kit, gun extractor, mask ect just didnt realy wana do it myself lol, i know all the warnings about 2k
Old 04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

depends what finish you want mate, there are always little places that will slap the paint on for a few hundred quid

But, and this is the thing, no bodyshop is going to guarantee the work if you prep and supply the paint, so are very likely to just slap the paint on with little care, after all they aren't making any money out of it and anyone who is insistant on doing a decent job as their name is on it, will insist on the prep etc being done right and by them.

You could do it yourself but it wont be the easiest to get it good without the risk of depree getting in the paint, dust, dirt, insects etc.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

£100?oh dear,that is funny!!!

There's so much involved in paintwork mate that unless you know what your doing it's going to end up looking shit tbh.having not seen the shell I can't really give exacts but any shell will need a minimum of a weeks work just in prep alone on a full time bodyshop.

You cab save money by completely removing all glass,stickers,decals,trim etc yourself and generally getting it as far stripped back as possible.

You only need to prime really if you've done repairs (filler) or your after a top top notch job as the primer is high build so it covers minor imperfections meaning when you flat it with 800 wet'n'dry you get a perfect finish.

You may get a bodyshop to just "blow over" the shell but when I had the business we hated doing other peoples prepwork,it's never as good as your own and when the customer has a shit result it's always the painters fault.

Main areas of saving are as I said,stripdown,rebuild,and final prep.

Your still looking at £5-600 to get it done right with minimal repairs but if your feeling brave and can really get it completely ready aside from panel wiping you may get it done for £2-300.

Sounds to me like your better off getting a hobbler to do the work although most boys who do this tend to be very unreliable!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:30 PM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You can get it done cheaper mate but the bottom line and golden rule is You get what you pay for! I got my cortina done for £600. that was prep included, its not a perfect finish and it was painted where my dad gets his trucks done lol, but they were enthusiastic about doing something different and really put some graft in imo. If i had the skills i could flat the paint down and buff it but i've just left it, it washes up lovely.

This is how it went to them,

and this is how it came back.

As you can see they did all the door shuts, and wing tops and boot (so it looks the same colour when the bonnet and boot are closed on the inner wings. even though the actual bay and boot are still purple (for now). You can get away with alot with white as its not actually that reflective, and looks great in sunlight, as you actually can't look at the thing anyway, so the bright illusion helps loads

Hope this has been abit useful. Joe.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

£100!!!!!! sureley you meant to put another 0 on that didnt you as said above it will need more than just a scotch down ive seen cars go for paint (used to work in a garage that had a bodyshop) that to me were straight cars ,then you see the painter start prepping them and all the little bits they find that need filling/stoppering to get it properly flat is unbelievable plus thats only the start they then have to paint it , bake it and then there is a few days wet flatting and buffing it to get a proper finish
i myself would not expect much change from £1500 for a spot on job thats for outside only
Old 04-01-2011, 07:41 PM
RickyLee53

I'm not a painter, but I wouldn't paint a car for £100 with a roller and emulsion.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 PM
botters
competant bodger

you wont even get the paint for £100!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Cossierick
Part of the Furniture

Your £100 would just cover the cost of gas to run the oven.

rick
Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 PM
scoobypete

Originally Posted by botters
you wont even get the paint for £100!
i got the paint, hardner, thinners, scotch pads, mixing cups all for £97 and its is good stuff
Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 PM
botters
competant bodger

i got the paint, hardner, thinners, scotch pads, mixing cups all for £97 and its is good stuff
what brand of paint and what quantity? it may be decent, but the best quality paint is more than that per litre
Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

years back my mate had his car sprayed for £99, it was a deal some garage was doing, the paint was ooober thin and flaked off the bumpers within weeks.

So, he get all the kit and sprayed it outside one sunny day, he was pretty lucky as although it wasn't a mint job, it came out pretty well, his only fault was he got impatiant and should have laid down a few extra coats as when he wet sanded it to get it flat, in places you could start to see the green under the blue.

That was just paint on flatted paint with any dinks filled. Wasn't mint but looked ok for a cheap job.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM
botters
competant bodger

Originally Posted by matts1
years back my mate had his car sprayed for £99, it was a deal some garage was doing, the paint was ooober thin and flaked off the bumpers within weeks.

So, he get all the kit and sprayed it outside one sunny day, he was pretty lucky as although it wasn't a mint job, it came out pretty well, his only fault was he got impatiant and should have laid down a few extra coats as when he wet sanded it to get it flat, in places you could start to see the green under the blue.

That was just paint on flatted paint with any dinks filled. Wasn't mint but looked ok for a cheap job.
ive seen a few home done jobs by non sprayers that have turned out well its all in the prep work and after paint that make the main difference
Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Brettski mk2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I payed £1200 and did all the prep
Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 PM
scoobypete

i think its going to be a home jobbie then
well i am gna use my dads warehouse and put u big gasebo up to keep out any shit, get extractors ectt ....

and i cannot remember the make of the pain, its in the garage , will get back to you on that
Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 PM
botters
competant bodger

i think its going to be a home jobbie then
well i am gna use my dads warehouse and put u big gasebo up to keep out any shit, get extractors ectt ....

and i cannot remember the make of the pain, its in the garage , will get back to you on that
just take your time on the prep work get some filler and stopper as you will need some and just watch a few vids on youtube about spraying techniques and im sure you will be fine
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 PM
scoobypete

Originally Posted by botters
just take your time on the prep work get some filler and stopper as you will need some and just watch a few vids on youtube about spraying techniques and im sure you will be fine

it only has one tiny dent in it so thats all the filling realy
i did do some work a good 3-4 years back at a spray shop so i know the rough idear but ovysly every little helps, what sort of temp should i look at keeping the room to spray it?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 PM
botters
competant bodger

i would say around 20 degrees roughly im no expert but i know that paint doesnt like cold weather also make sure no silicones are used in the warehouse as contaminants like this will cause bad paint reactions that can sometimes lead to the vehicle requiring bare metalling of the body
Old 04-01-2011, 08:20 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just painted a mk4 5dr golf full car white an door shuts ect for 650 euro, i would never do a paint job for that again, 1200 is the lowest any paint shop will do it for,
Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

if doing it in a warehouse get a load of old newspaper on the floor and wet the floor down well, that will help stop alot of the dust from flicking about

oh and as a example of fussy painters, ive spent a few days spraying up a manifold for my impreza,,,,, done "ok" but i wanted it flat polished to get a nice shine to it,,,, the sprayer looked at it and asked how many coats of laquer i used,,, i HONESTLY used 3 tins of the stuff on it and that was just ontop

he couldnt polish it up with the buffer as it went through on the edges so he as TOTALLY resprayed it and is gonna laquer it and give me it back tomorrow evening,,,,, i spent 34 quid on paint and got the masking stuff and sand paper FOC,,,, he told me he would have done it for 80 quid which sounds alot but i needed him to finish it off

though result for me is he is doing it FOC as he chose to respray it as he likes the car and my job was "shite" ( took me a week to fucking do that too !!!)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:42 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
if doing it in a warehouse get a load of old newspaper on the floor and wet the floor down well, that will help stop alot of the dust from flicking about

oh and as a example of fussy painters, ive spent a few days spraying up a manifold for my impreza,,,,, done "ok" but i wanted it flat polished to get a nice shine to it,,,, the sprayer looked at it and asked how many coats of laquer i used,,, i HONESTLY used 3 tins of the stuff on it and that was just ontop

he couldnt polish it up with the buffer as it went through on the edges so he as TOTALLY resprayed it and is gonna laquer it and give me it back tomorrow evening,,,,, i spent 34 quid on paint and got the masking stuff and sand paper FOC,,,, he told me he would have done it for 80 quid which sounds alot but i needed him to finish it off

though result for me is he is doing it FOC as he chose to respray it as he likes the car and my job was "shite" ( took me a week to fucking do that too !!!)

Yeah,can laquer has crap coverage,you think "Christ I've put 1.5litres on that" but it's thinned down so much it just won't cover very well.if you do decide to use rattle cans again a good tip is to put them in hot water first as the finish vastly improves.

I've done some work with cans that honestly looked really good,but it did certainly require loads of wet flatting/buffing up but it looked good.the sheen doesn't last very long compared to a car,you need to buff it once a month say.

£80 sounded about right to me,after all he's got to get all traces of can off to avoid reacting but also manifolds and shit are really awkward tbh.

Foc sounds better though!!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:29 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

I've seen the 3dr in question and it really is a good clean one.

Best of luck, will be around 6-800 for a cheapish blowover.

Defo wet the floor too as already suggested.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 AM
mackers
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Andy130 where in Ireland are you?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

[QUOTE=Danny @ Enhanced Performance;5272810]Il gaurantee it will need some work before it can just be painted if you want it to look nice and any painter will want to mask and scotch it himself..

I own and run a paintshop and do lots of big paint jobs on cossies etc and for us to scotch down and maybe sort a bit of prep here and there you would be looking at around £1200 [QUOTE]

How much to do my jwrc cossie fiesta inside and out Danny?
Have a look at the last few pages of my resto thread to see roughly how it stands

Thanks
Marc
Old 05-01-2011, 01:20 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As above you get what you pay for and I wouldnt even consider a 100quid paint job.

Paid about 3k for the above job
Old 05-01-2011, 02:20 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Aaron that looks flawless
Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM
scoobypete

Originally Posted by R5FORD
As above you get what you pay for and I wouldnt even consider a 100quid paint job.

that looks mint i would love a finish like that but i cannot afford somethink like that, if in a few years and i still have it ,and have some more money i would look at getting it don to a standard or above but untill will have to be what ever i can afford
Old 05-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by R5FORD

I'm by no means saying your paint job is bad, but even crap swirly cars look good in photos taken like that. you need the light source shown to show the real paint finish