General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ka rear quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old 30-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ka rear quarter panel

Does anyone know where abouts a genuine ford rear quarter panel for a ka finishes? Or maybe a photo?

The mrs has had one on her car as part of a insurance claim, the option was either repair the existing 1/4 or pay £150 for a new 1/4 and they would fit it. We went with the new 1/4 because of bad rust round the filler neck.

Now I have had chance to look at the car there is over spray on the roof gutter cover and if it was joined on the rear pillar I would expect to see a tiny difference in the seam sealer. I think they body shop is trying to pull a fast one tbh!!

Gavin.
Old 30-12-2010, 05:39 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Derby_Gav
Does anyone know where abouts a genuine ford rear quarter panel for a ka finishes? Or maybe a photo?

The mrs has had one on her car as part of a insurance claim, the option was either repair the existing 1/4 or pay £150 for a new 1/4 and they would fit it. We went with the new 1/4 because of bad rust round the filler neck.

Now I have had chance to look at the car there is over spray on the roof gutter cover and if it was joined on the rear pillar I would expect to see a tiny difference in the seam sealer. I think they body shop is trying to pull a fast one tbh!!

Gavin.

its joined half way up the quater if you get me no body shop would put the hole quater to roof line far to much work ,if you think they repaired old one run a magnet over were the damage was ,plus you can easy match the factor sealer
Old 30-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

I'm gonna do the magnet tomorrow. I have just found a photo and can see where they are joined.

It's bugging me because I know what the bodyshop is like and aren't bothered about overspray and masking lines (like there is on the gutter cover) but on the door shuts they are factory perfect! Something just doesn't seem right.

It's ADR in Chesterfield the bodyshop in question.

Gavin.
Old 30-12-2010, 05:48 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

bang some pics up mate ,to be onist we use price for quarters and just repair them
if damage wasnt that bad ,talk to body shop as im sure they will remove over spray free charge is a easy thing to miss when you nocking quite a few cars out in a week but still shudnt happen really
Old 30-12-2010, 06:09 PM
fordrs2005
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when your cars subject to a insurance claim either your fault or somebody elses

you can choose what garage the car goes to get repaired at .
Old 30-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

Bit late now!

I pleaded with her not to go through the insurance and it's ended up costing more than it would have done not going through the insurance.

Gavin.
Old 30-12-2010, 07:08 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Always used to charge for new but never fit them,perk of the job although charging the customer sounds very odd,unless,as they do,insurance refused to replace the full panel rather just a repair section and they tried it on a bit with you?

You can get a filler repair section for £10 off eBay.if they've just filled it the rust will be back very soon.
Old 30-12-2010, 10:14 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Open the 1/4 window, remove the seal and look for the join there and for any change in how the spot welds are laid out. It is the one place where most people would forget to look. If the panel has been changed, it should be visible, even slightly, as the inner panel normally gets slightly cut by the air saw (or grinder if an animal has been there) and cannot be "hidden" as easily.