General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Burning oil, MOT failure?

Search this Thread

Old 27-12-2010, 10:51 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil, MOT failure?

For my next mondeo question! lol

Im looking at upgrading my runabout once ive repaired the wheel bearing, there is a dirt cheap 53 reg mk3 mondeo for sale near me, 1800 zetec petrol, but its burning oil, not much just has to be topped up once every few weeks,it runs and drives mint, just a little smokey on startup, and the mechanic friend of the guy who owns it has told him it will fail the MOT on emissions because of the oil burning? Is this correct? as the guy who owns it isnt using it and is selling it for spares/repairs/scrap money basically, as im kind of interested in buying it as its at a bargain price, just has no MOT or tax, and uses oil, its immaculate otherwise. Ta
Old 27-12-2010, 11:01 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

it can fail on excessive blue smoke at the tailpipe so depends how bad it is
Old 27-12-2010, 11:04 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AS said depends. My fiesta was burning oil (at a rediculous rate, did over 2.5 litres in less than 160 miles), used to be able to se it burning when you booted it. Yet, it passed a mot like it...
Old 27-12-2010, 11:07 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I think you have basically answered your own question. As the mechanic has already said, if the burning oil falls foul of the emission test then it will fail the MOT.
Maybe worth taking a gamble on if it's dirt cheap though.
Old 28-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Jessica.
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

take it for a good thrash before it goes for mot. i had a golf that was burning oil and i did that and it passed
Old 28-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

petrol £1.20 a litre oil £5 + a litre that is going to be an expensive car to run
never mind the poor people behind getting smoked to death
Old 28-12-2010, 09:47 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mannock
petrol £1.20 a litre oil £5 + a litre that is going to be an expensive car to run
never mind the poor people behind getting smoked to death

I used to put a litre of oil in an old car of mine a week, used to get bloody expensive!
Old 28-12-2010, 10:04 AM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Ive found with cars that burn oil that the oil being burnt tends to kill the cat. We had a pug 106 in that had not been serviced in years and had started burning oil because of this. It failed its mot due to the cat not working but there was no signs of smoke being immited from the exaust so we changed the cat and gave it an oil and filter change (using slitly thicker oil) and it passed no problems probaly need another cat next year tho lolol
Old 28-12-2010, 10:25 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

If the smoke is visible it should fail.

But considering the last two vehicles Ive bought from England, which had brand new MOT's. It seems absolutely anything would pass an MOT over there.

One vehicle had broken headlight and knackered rear shocks.

The other the horn didnt work and they seem to think removing the ABS bulb fixes the problem.

Dodgy as fuck !!!
Old 28-12-2010, 01:29 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

If it does pass on the measured emissions then it is up to the testers discretion to pass/fail on excess visual smoke.

Find a garage that sells Forte engine treatments. They work wonders on this kind of problem. Some of the problems this stuff can cure if pretty damn impressive.

http://www.forteuk.co.uk/index.php
Old 28-12-2010, 02:10 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

I went and had a proper look at it earlier, its a little sluggish starting, and doesnt smoke really on tickover, then when you give it a good rev you get the smoke, and it stinks, and it makes this chugging sound out the exhaust on tickover, and if you take the oil cap off while its running it makes a right racket chugging away, bottom end pressure. not sure if its worth the gamble or not.i like buying cheap cars to repair for profit but not sure if this ones going to go my way, ive offered him £300 for it, id get that back in bits, but MOT and 6 months tax is going to be another £150 ish and then theres the engine, i cant seem to find a mk3 petrol engine on ebay for less than £350, surely i can use a older late mk2 mondeo blacktop as they are more wideley available, cheaper and a better engine that the newer duratecs? the rest of the car is good otherwise.ta