General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Just used a claybar..... my god!

Search this Thread

Old 13-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Neil Clark
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just used a claybar..... my god!

I got myself an 02 plate BMW 325i sport in black a couple of weeks ago, it looked like it had always been washed at a carwash, paint was dullish and felt very grainy to the touch.

Ive never used a claybar before and always thought it just cant be any good lol.

Went to Halfords tonite and got the Autoglym claybar kit, was expensive but only place open!. Just finished car and my god it looks fantastic!, paint is like glass, marks are gone. Ive gave it a wax with Zymol cleaner wax aswell, very good on a black car.

So if your thinking of giving it a try get it done!!!!!!

Sorry no pics, didnt have camera with me

Neil
Old 13-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clay bars are the tits!!
Old 13-12-2010, 08:39 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Been thinking of putting one of these on my list for Santa, thing is I have always been very happy with polish but I believe clay bars are good for removing "Cob webbing AKA swirl marks" can you verify this?

Last time I looked in Halfords many months ago there was a Meguiars as part in a kit with the cloth etc, guess you just brought it by itself?

Martin
Old 13-12-2010, 08:40 PM
juicy 666
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bilt Hamber clay is cool also because you can just use water as lube! i like to add a bit of shampoo into the mix to make it glide better! Did my puma yesterday and finished it off with some dodo juice lime prime which is a very very mild abrasive and the paint is so smooth i cant stop touching it! fantastic product and so easy to use!
Old 13-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Neil Clark
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Been thinking of putting one of these on my list for Santa, thing is I have always been very happy with polish but I believe clay bars are good for removing "Cob webbing AKA swirl marks" can you verify this?

Last time I looked in Halfords many months ago there was a Meguiars as part in a kit with the cloth etc, guess you just brought it by itself?

Martin
There was swirl marks and alsorts on mine, 99% gone on first go, fantastic bit of kit, i paid £26 for all the bits and bobs
Old 13-12-2010, 08:42 PM
juicy 666
Regular Contributor

clay wont remove swirls it just decontaminates the paint so when you polish it to remove the swirls your not creating new swirls with contaminants that you wouldnt normally see!
Old 13-12-2010, 08:53 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

As above, clay will not remove paint swirling, just shit that is welded to the paint, like tree sap, tar and general road grime that washing alone doesn't remove. To get rid of the swirls you need to either machine polish, or use a polish that has fillers by hand, which will fill in most of the swirling.

Trending Topics

Old 13-12-2010, 09:41 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can vouch for poor boys for getting swirls out of your paintwork i posted some pics up abit back .. top stuff poor boys

andy
Old 14-12-2010, 12:22 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for that, I hand polish and as you say it removes everything you have mentioned but it does not remove swirl marks (At least mine dosen't) Guess I will have a look at the mentioned "Poor Boys"

Martin
Old 14-12-2010, 12:34 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Thanks for that, I hand polish and as you say it removes everything you have mentioned but it does not remove swirl marks (At least mine dosen't) Guess I will have a look at the mentioned "Poor Boys"

Martin
The only true way of removing swirl marks is by machine polishing. There are certain hand products that remove very light swirls and mask them though such as Autoglym super resin polish.

Have a look over on www.detailingworld.co.uk but be warned it can become very addictive, this whole detailing lark!
Old 14-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is there anyone on here that would machine polish my car in the summer?
Old 14-12-2010, 12:57 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for that will take a look, how does machine polishing help over a hand polishing though, I guess it can buff faster/better than you can by hand? I am quite into the bufty scene myself but just always use polish.

BTW I do use Autoglym Super Resin, excellent stuff, someone actually thought I used clay before due to the glass finish I have, they do it in red label for light coloured paint and black for darker colours isn't it.

Martin