General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Students protests!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010 | 07:37 AM
Tank Mike
Advanced PassionFord User

Default Students protests!

Sorry if this is a re-post but what the fuck are they playing at??

Yet another day of distruction yesterday for the tax payer to clean up!

When will they hit the real world and relise that, if you want something you have to pay for it. Bills are part of an everyday adult life!

It made me sick to the stomach watching them twats smashing up our capital city!

The only reason there all so pissed off is 70% of people are there for the social life and the doss around. If you want the education that much, Pay for it!
Old 10-12-2010 | 07:41 AM
GTi-R23
The ladies love it French

Too right.
Old 10-12-2010 | 07:51 AM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Just on about this at work, my solution, tell everyone of them idiots that due to their protest they cant go to uni!! take their names down and ban them. That'll shut them up. Peaceful protest, fair enough, acting like idiots; get treated like idiots!!
Old 10-12-2010 | 07:59 AM
GTi-R23
The ladies love it French

Just a bunch of kids getting kicks out of smashing a few windows, I bet the genuine student unions are ashamed, it's the usual scenario though, the minority giving the majority a bad name.

I'd have personally sent the police in there heavy handed to fuck and gave them a taste of their own medicine, but we all know that wouldn't happen due to PC reasons and human rights etc.
Old 10-12-2010 | 08:13 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The protests are bound to turn violent as they now know they get massive media coverage, for what benefit now i don't know but i would expect them to go again just to prove they are still pissed off.

I started a uni course last year but had to finish due to starting late and not having enough time to catch up so postponed it and now with the new addition to the family i was waiting for another year so planning to start in 2011 but due to these increases that is now completely beyond me now, i would imagine many mature students like myself can't justify clocking up to £50k bills on top of a mortgage so i can understand the frustration.

It's more than just having to pay - you had to pay before but to rise by an extra up to £6k per year is crazy as £3k was bad enough.

Regarding the politician's selling points I must be missing something, they keep saying it will help out underprivileged family's with not having to foot the bills outright ..... they did that already, you apply for your tuition grant for £3k and then you pay it back when you earn the cash so nothing has changed apart from a massive increase - robbing cunts
Old 10-12-2010 | 08:17 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Altho i dont agree with the damage etc , Hats of to them for standing up for themselfs

if we all did the same instead of just moaning we wouldnt be paying £125 per ltr for fuel etc

At least there standing up for what they want

i wish we would all do the same about fucking asylum seekers etc and this shit hole country wouldnt be so fucking expensive to live in
Old 10-12-2010 | 08:21 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

It wasn't that long ago that business leaders were telling us that they were getting people in with uni degrees who didn't actually have a fuckig clue, so by all rights only the smartest of the smart should be allowed to go to uni.

What I'd do is make sure that classes were segregated into levels again so that you had the smart kids in the smart class and learning more than te thick cunts who are only ever going to sign on and have kids and, these that show the best aptitude for learning then get pushed on to uni type status, if you only have 10% of your year being eligable to go to uni then you will only need that much time and the unis themselves can be more structued. Nonpoint in trying to cram in as many as possible when they aren't going to learn.

And yes I k ow those who can afford to pay their way will have it easy but you only get free school until you are 16 not fucking 35 like some cunts stay on for.

I do however also think that the brightest most talented pupils should be sponsered by the schools and, as a reslut of this they should be allowed to reclaim the cost of the uni fees back from the government depending on how well the student does at said uni, so getting a 2:2 would get you 50% of the money back but getting a full on best in breed would get all their money back bat least those who are smart get a leg up and those who are thcik get weeded out, no point I. Wasting an education on someone who doesn't want to learn is there, stick them in the army or some shit so they get a lesson I. Real life for their futures
Old 10-12-2010 | 08:23 AM
dannyblackpool
Boost Builder

Agree 100% with Paul,

There cunts for smashing the place up, BUT ive respect for them getting off their arses and doing summit about it rather than throwing a online petition around forums for people to sign.

That is assuming that it isnt 50+% just Chavs up for a bit of criminal damage with no intention of ever going to uni
Old 10-12-2010 | 08:27 AM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fuck them

Always a job in McDonalds for the spotty smelly greasy cunts
Old 10-12-2010 | 08:29 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Both my Sons went to Uni as adult Students and managed not to take part in demonstrations costing all of us Millions of pounds in damage.

Both ended up with student loans.
One had to start repaying immediately after leaving, as his salary was over the threshold.
The other one didn't start paying till a few years later when his salary went over.

Both worked part time whilst at Uni to fund their weekly living expenses.
Both had a reasonble amount of "Student life".

Both earned more after Uni than they did before.

If I was a van driver and wanted to get an LGV licence to earn more money I would expect to pay the cost myself to benefit me in the long term.

Why should a Uni student expect me and all other tax payers to pay for them to ultimately have a better life than they would if they didn't go to Uni?

Old 10-12-2010 | 08:34 AM
Pete frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Its serious,those youths are the future of this county and the coalition government is making it very difficult for them now to go on and achieve a higher education,how come the majority of the world value their students,its now only the USA and us that charge students to learn,and as an added backlash labour must be rubbing their hands,they're all young voters and come election time who do you think they're going to be voting for.........
i agree violence doesn't solve everything but it certainly was a wake up call to the establishment to sort it out....
Old 10-12-2010 | 08:35 AM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Got no sympathy at all for them, if they really wanted to get a decent job, which is what I thought you went to uni for, then you wouldn't worry about what would be a pittance compared to your salary and ffs you get thirty years to pay it back!!! Wait til you get a degree at the university of life, working 60 hours a week, just about covering your monthly expenses, paying CSA stupid amounts and you don't even see your kids and spending the rest of your time on here. Then you can moan pmsl.
Old 10-12-2010 | 08:44 AM
hamerish
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

im currently student and didnt take part in the protest as firstly it wont effect me because as im already in a degree, secondly im hoping it will reduce the number of graduates meaning finding a job will hopefully be easier 5 years after i graduate, selfish reason really.
Old 10-12-2010 | 08:51 AM
.Ross.

Basically the GOV have screwed them ... Going back on election promises ..

The Violence is totally out of order thou .. And they are giving it the usual Heavy Handed Police shite ...

My Advice to any student is loan the fee .. Get ya degree. Leave this country and dont pay ..
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:05 AM
rs-tuner

Originally Posted by .Ross.
Basically the GOV have screwed them ... Going back on election promises ..

The Violence is totally out of order thou .. And they are giving it the usual Heavy Handed Police shite ...

My Advice to any student is loan the fee .. Get ya degree. Leave this country and dont pay ..
How have the gov screwed them?

the lib dems did not win so can't keep there promise simples.
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:10 AM
gaz s1

this is just the start the tories are back in power screwing the poor, what do you expect, people are angry at tax dodging millionaires and banks fucking everyones lives up and the poorest paying the penalties,
fair play to them protesting i say we moan that the french stand up to their government and we do nothing, then when we do people moan, its bound to turn nasty im afraid and its only going to get worse when the north blows as its them getting screwed yet again!! and before people say its all labours fault did labour run usa spain portugal ireland etc, no its the banks thats the common denominator in this global fuck up and they are just carrying on as normal with big bonuses etc!!

Does anyone really believe this financial fuck up would have been any different if cameron and that cunt osbourne would have been in charge?, the tories have never sucked up to bankers have they!!

Last edited by gaz s1; 10-12-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:23 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by gaz s1
this is just the start the tories are back in power screwing the poor, what do you expect, people are angry at tax dodging millionaires and banks fucking everyones lives up and the poorest paying the penalties,
fair play to them protesting i say we moan that the french stand up to their government and we do nothing, then when we do people moan, its bound to turn nasty im afraid and its only going to get worse when the north blows as its them getting screwed yet again!! and before people say its all labours fault did labour run usa spain portugal ireland etc, no its the banks thats the common denominator in this global fuck up and they are just carrying on as normal with big bonuses etc!!

Does anyone really believe this financial fuck up would have been any different if cameron and that cunt osbourne would have been in charge?, the tories have never sucked up to bankers have they!!
+1
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:24 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
Altho i dont agree with the damage etc , Hats of to them for standing up for themselfs

if we all did the same instead of just moaning we wouldnt be paying £125 per ltr for fuel etc

At least there standing up for what they want

i wish we would all do the same about fucking asylum seekers etc and this shit hole country wouldnt be so fucking expensive to live in

Spot on mate, they are doing it all wrong, but im happy finally some one is doing it.

Saying all of that, i would rather they gave Charles car a good kicking rather than some poor blokes shop etc.

What the students can't really see... is that the less people that go to university, the less competition for jobs needing a degree will be. I actually think every one going to uni for the hell of it is fucking stupid anyway.

Rob,
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:27 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fucking hell, when do you ever shut up about the tories and how every thing is their fault? What would you do differently that would pay off our massive debt?

Labour spending was spiralling out of control BEFORE the recession, imagine the situation that put the country in when the recession did actually hit.

Personally i wouldn't be giving X amount to the irish government when we can't afford to put people into higher education.

Rob,
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:33 AM
rs dub
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Pete frst
Its serious,those youths are the future of this county and the coalition government is making it very difficult for them now to go on and achieve a higher education,how come the majority of the world value their students,its now only the USA and us that charge students to learn,and as an added backlash labour must be rubbing their hands,they're all young voters and come election time who do you think they're going to be voting for.........
i agree violence doesn't solve everything but it certainly was a wake up call to the establishment to sort it out....
i thought this also pete.but did you see the shadow minister on tele.he was asked if they came into power would they abolish this new ruling.all he could say was"its impossible to determine what will happen 4 years down the line".so dont expect the labour party to change this tax.we are like a foooking great big ant coloney.we are basically the little workers flogging our guts out to provide for the queen and her inner circle to get bigger and fatter.country is foooked end off!
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:45 AM
.Ross.

Originally Posted by rs-tuner

Dont really know much about it TBH ... I dont Vote or Pay tax.

Just what I seen on the news ... The LIB dems going against there pledge ..

The Tories needed a certian % of the LIB dem vote ... But the Lib-Dems said they wouldn't increase the fees (Would vote against) But some voted AYE so they have screwed them ..
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:45 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by rs-tuner

neither would the conservatives have if the lib dems hadnt chose to go with them, if they had chose to go with labour, labour would still be in power. so you can understand with a 'coalition' government, there has to be give and take. not rasing tuition costs was one of the lib dems major policys when campaigning, now the conservatives are making the lib dems look like cunts, and those who voted for the lib dems, which, if it wasnt for the lib dems, the conservatives wouldnt be in power in the first place.
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:50 AM
gaz s1

Originally Posted by Rob_DOHC
Fucking hell, when do you ever shut up about the tories and how every thing is their fault? What would you do differently that would pay off our massive debt?

Labour spending was spiralling out of control BEFORE the recession, imagine the situation that put the country in when the recession did actually hit.

Personally i wouldn't be giving X amount to the irish government when we can't afford to put people into higher education.

Rob,
you think its a coincidence that the tories are back in power and we have riots yet again, they are doing a sustained attack on the poor and this is the result and its going to get worse, you think its fair the poorest in our country should pay to get us out of the shit?, if so be prepared for anarchy in the uk
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:52 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mate, change the record, seriously.

I think there's a lot of ignorance at work here. If you honestly think that the majority of those violent protesters are actually students, then you must be on another planet. The vast majority are clearly just trouble making thugs out to cause a riot while the going is good. Of course there will be a rough element of students involved, but I would bet that half the ones smashing the place up wouldn't even know what the protest is about.

There are a lot of issues with this whole debate. Firstly, why is it acceptable for tuition fees to triple in one hit? When they've already tripled in the last 5 years as it is. Also, why is it acceptable, and how is there any justification for English students to have to pay up to £9k per year to study, when the Scottish government are still dishing it out for free, and the Welsh government have elected to continue to subsidise their students? Put yourself in the shoes of the students then and see how you feel. Hardly a fair system is it?

There is clearly a big problem in higher education, and I do think that far too many people are going to university and getting a completely useless degree. We seem to have armies of psychologists and sociologists, journalists, computer games designers, archaeologists, none of which will ever get a job in their chosen field. It's time that places were limited on these courses to cover demand, not to allow people to waste three years of their life and thousands of pounds of tax payer money.

HOWEVER, university is still vitally important to this country. It does bring a lot of money in from foreign students, and from graduates putting work/money back into the economy once they graduate. We need students to become the next doctors/nurses/engineers/solicitors etc, we just need to be a lot more stringent on who goes to university, rather than trying to encourage everyone to go.

A shake up is required much lower down the system, so that people are encouraged to go into vocational careers, as well as higher education. When I was at school, roles as a mechanic, plumber, electrician etc were all viewed as being jobs for "thick" people, and that you should go to university instead, which is all wrong.

But, I have no problem with tax payers paying for further and higher education. We should be investing in the future of our country, and I for one am happy to contribute towards the education of those who might be looking after me in hospital one day, or designing things to make our lives better, or save the environment. Better that than paying for a load of skanks to have 10 kids each and Sky TV like we do at the moment.
Old 10-12-2010 | 11:15 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

It's only some course that will cost that much and even if they do it's becuase someone has decreed that it's acceptable to charge that ammount.

From what you her every student saying EVERYTHING is goingto cost 9 grand now, from their accomodatjon to the fees to joining the pubdarts team, some are seriously just too fucking stupid to even have learnt to crossthe road let alone be allowed to go and study designer paperfolding at toytown university (formerly toytown polytechnic)
Old 10-12-2010 | 11:33 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

I'd love to know how many of the 50,000 protestors have actually sat down and worked out what the changes actually mean for them, rather than being blinkered by this magic £9,000 per year number. SOme will realize they will actually be MUCH BETTER OFF.
Firstly uni fees ARE NOT going up to £9,000 a year. They are going up from £3,000 to £6,000 and only £9,000 in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances for specialist courses and universities, which will no doubt be unloading students into EXCEPTIONALLY high paid jobs or courses which are fast tracked form 4 years into 2 year courses.
Secondly, you don't pay a single penny back until you start earning £21,000 a year, which has gone up from the current £15,000. How many post grads do you know earning £21,000 a year? Not many.....Probably because the bullshit degree they are lumbered with isn't worth the paper it's printed on, but I digress. This £21,000 a year, after 2016 will increase EVERY year to allow for inflation etc.
Thirdly, the interest rates are practically nothing. Under the new system it would gradually increase from 0% for salaries of £21,000 to 3% plus inflation for those earning more than £41,000. You only pay interest on earnings OVER £21,000 per year. So lets use a rough example:A Teacher leaves university and gets a £21,500 a year job they pay interest on the £500 over £21,000 which is equivalent to 9%. They will pay less than £4 a month in repayments! Let's say it rises to £27,000 over 20 years. They would pay an average of £7 per month rather than the £45 per month that they face now, and less than a TV licence costs.

Am I missing something here?...
Old 10-12-2010 | 12:13 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by muz

Am I missing something here?...
No,, a very accurate description of the proposals.
Old 10-12-2010 | 12:17 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you think its a coincidence that the tories are back in power and we have riots yet again, they are doing a sustained attack on the poor and this is the result and its going to get worse, you think its fair the poorest in our country should pay to get us out of the shit?, if so be prepared for anarchy in the uk
No i don't, the tories have made some changes which people don't like, i personally think they are necessary changes in order to pay off our vast debt.

And yes i think its fair that the poor have to pay their part too, a proportional part. EVERY body should pay.

A sustained attack? I really don't see what you mean. Can you clarify that?

Fact is, lots of students aren't 'poor', what was wrong with the majority of the population doing apprenticeships and going to college to learn a skill, with the minority going to university to do 'proper' courses, like maths, engineering and physics etcetc. instead of fucking media studies, or PE!!!!

Rob,
Old 10-12-2010 | 12:17 PM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Csm
Fuck them

Always a job in McDonalds for the spotty smelly greasy cunts
lmfao and as for them spraying graffitti on statues send a load of football holligans in to sort the tree hugging hippies out
Old 10-12-2010 | 12:18 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Muz, thats pretty much spot on.

Can't see the problem.

Rob,
Old 10-12-2010 | 12:26 PM
jattpower
Virgin

For those that disgree with the protests, have you lot been to uni?
Old 10-12-2010 | 12:27 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Jattpower, Yes. I went to uni.

The police should shot a few of the protesters that are causing damage, that should be motivation enough for the rest to protest in peace.
Old 10-12-2010 | 12:28 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Muz the only thing you've missed is that them lot protesting are a bunch of fucking idiots. If they are the future of our country then the jobs fucked. Bunch of waste of space cunts. If they actually wanted a decent job/degree they would accept the changes which aren't exactly massive in reality.
Old 10-12-2010 | 12:29 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Originally Posted by jattpower
For those that disgree with the protests, have you lot been to uni?
Read my post above. Also the fact that they defaced a Winston Churchill Statute. That man lead this country through WWII fighting against fascism to give the little scrotes the very freedom of speech you seem to gasconade (theres a word for yah) about Whitehall so freely in protest. It stonewall smacks of irony.
Old 10-12-2010 | 12:45 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think the majority of the anger is steming from the fact that the student vote largely went to the Lib Dems who are now fucking them over. I know I would feel pissed off right now if I had voted Lib Dem only to see my vote used to basically get the Tories in.
Old 10-12-2010 | 01:19 PM
Jimbo.

I finished my degree in May 2009, I was lucky that I had already got my foot in the door at company and started full-time the day after my final presentation. I don't have the massive debt that most have as I travelled in to uni and came out with a debt of £9k. We got £1k back for completing our 1st and 2nd year of the course which I used to pay off the loan and get it down to £7k. I have since paid off another £3k of it and am paying £50 a month.

I do understand why they are pissed though, alot of students will come out with a massive debt and find it very hard to land a job. Yes, if their salary isn't a certain amount after 30 years they won't have to pay it, but they won't find it easy getting a decent motor/property in this day and age if they are earning less than £21k or whatever it is.
Old 10-12-2010 | 01:48 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I don't get the problem.....

I am just starting to pay off the £6400 I had for my student loan in the first year.

I have just had a pay rise which coincides with starting to pay it off. The net effect is that my pay rise is wiped out - yes its a pain BUT what it actually means in reality is that the next pay rise will be the actual pay rise not this one.... so in reality I just miss a pay rise.

So what- I got a good education out of it, I got a foot in the door, I got a career.

Now... if things were as they will be now then I would be paying less back than I currently do and it would take longer due to this and as there is more to pay back. I personally don't see the issue.

Its stopped at source + doesn't affect your credit rating + you don't need a credit rating to get one.

The protests were just an excuse for a ruck by a bunch of tossers who prob aint students anyways.
Old 10-12-2010 | 01:51 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ultimately its a life choice in my opinion.

I can afford to buy and run a 911 Turbo of some description - but I don't because it will mean I can't do many of the other things I like to do.

If you go to university it will mean a good education, a good time, a lot of hard work and potentially a better job and you have to pay for it later.

If you don't it means you work from age 19 ish or sooner and have to work your way up the ladder the old fashioned way.
Old 10-12-2010 | 01:52 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Look at this cunt, how dare he climb on there. (Ignore the stupid, badly spelt caption at the top )

The tossers did nothing to help the situation by smashing things up and attacking the police. But, as per usual, the asshats in this country are blaming the police for the violence, when, tbh, the police did bloody well not to get too heavy handed. After all they're only humans, and we can only take so much abuse before we flip. Look at other countries, if they'd done that in certain european countries there would have been tear gas and beatings going round! If they'd done that in china, it would have been much worse!
Old 10-12-2010 | 01:58 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam

Look at this cunt, how dare he climb on there. (Ignore the stupid, badly spelt caption at the top )

The tossers did nothing to help the situation by smashing things up and attacking the police. But, as per usual, the asshats in this country are blaming the police for the violence, when, tbh, the police did bloody well not to get too heavy handed. After all they're only humans, and we can only take so much abuse before we flip. Look at other countries, if they'd done that in certain european countries there would have been tear gas and beatings going round! If they'd done that in china, it would have been much worse!

He does look like a rather limp wristed poncy coont.

Quick Reply: Students protests!