General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Panorama on Computer Games on the BBC

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panorama on Computer Games on the BBC

Anyone watching this? Its quite worrying because I can actually see I have some mild addictive behaviors they are talking about
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 PM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

They are making you believe that's what you have. Which is far worse than having what they suggested in the first place. Pay no attention.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Recording with interest as my boy loves that cod game,although he's calmed down a bit lately on it,he's 15 so trying to get a blowjob now instead,I hope he succeeds,at least one of us will be getting a bit then!!!Lol!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Load of bollocks.

They are making you think that you have a problem, scaremongering.

Computer games undoubtedly affect some peoples mental states but not if you are a social, realistic, educated person in the first place, imo.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

One of my housemates is 100% addicted to gaming. He lives online, playing COD and things, barely leaves his room some days.

There is always a certain amount of scare-mongering on programs like that, but it's undoubtedly a problem with some. My university is absolutely full of people who do nothing at all but play computer games, it's all they live for. They have no social or life skills, it's quite sad to watch.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by massivewangers
One of my housemates is 100% addicted to gaming. He lives online, playing COD and things, barely leaves his room some days.

There is always a certain amount of scare-mongering on programs like that, but it's undoubtedly a problem with some. My university is absolutely full of people who do nothing at all but play computer games, it's all they live for. They have no social or life skills, it's quite sad to watch.
I think the whole Uni is addicted, have you seen some of the freaks that come here?!?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by OldDan
I think the whole Uni is addicted, have you seen some of the freaks that come here?!?
Bloody right. Sitting in that sofa bit watching some of them, don't know whether to laugh or cry

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just like we are addicted to TV,,,,, wait NO program would mention that would they,,,,, wonder why ????

if i wasnt on the computer i would be sitting down infront of the TV watching programs i have no interest in watching just to pass the time in the evening as its convinient
Old 06-12-2010, 10:56 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

didnt see the program, i was on my xbox!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
just like we are addicted to TV,,,,, wait NO program would mention that would they,,,,, wonder why ????

if i wasnt on the computer i would be sitting down infront of the TV watching programs i have no interest in watching just to pass the time in the evening as its convinient
Watching tv or surfing the net because you have nothing to do is very different to shutting yourself in a room to play computer games for 18 hours a day, never talking to anyone, hardly leaving the house, failing your year at uni because you can't stop playing a game to do assignments.

The difference is; if you have something to do, you turn the TV/computer off and get on with it. I see a lot of people at my uni who don't, they forsake real life and the things they have to do, just to play WoW or COD.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it just takes up alot of time and you dont realise it,,,,,, and yes people do sit infront of the tv for hours not bothering to do things due... same people are watching there family on jeremy kyle !
Old 06-12-2010, 11:12 PM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I moderate a forum run by an online gaming company, and i see this first hand on a regular basis, there are some people who live their lives around playing games and the myspace/facebook apps,

if the games have a problem or it go offline, you'd think the world had ended the way they start crying about it
Old 06-12-2010, 11:22 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
it just takes up alot of time and you dont realise it,,,,,, and yes people do sit infront of the tv for hours not bothering to do things due... same people are watching there family on jeremy kyle !
Oh undoubtedly, I'm sure there's plenty of people like that, but the majority of people (as with the majority who play games) are just doing it to fill time. There are some however who get sucked in and it takes over their lives completely.

Originally Posted by BigChuck
I moderate a forum run by an online gaming company, and i see this first hand on a regular basis, there are some people who live their lives around playing games and the myspace/facebook apps,

if the games have a problem or it go offline, you'd think the world had ended the way they start crying about it
That definately sounds like one of the guys I live with. He lives for COD, it's his life. The little lights on our modem are flickering so hard it's no wonder it doesn't explode sometimes
Old 06-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

the only people who will go psycho from computer games and go on killing sprees are people who were destined to be killers anyway. Games just push them over the edge/give them ideas a bit earlier.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
the only people who will go psycho from computer games and go on killing sprees are people who were destined to be killers anyway. Games just push them over the edge/give them ideas a bit earlier.
Agreed, but that's not what the program was about
Old 07-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

My of my friends dad's got handed devorcement papers after quiting his job to stay at home and play world of warcraft! So i know what they are talking about.
Even if you think you are addicted to computer games, who cares.. its better than a meth addiction!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Roscco
Livin' [H]ard & Fast

My Bsc is in Computer Games Technology, the behaviour traits and pyschological addictions aren't over stressed or emphisised as 'scare mongoring'. The cognative phsycology behind each button press is carefully thought out to keep you comin back for more.

There's a reason people play gay stuff like WoW for days on end........
Old 07-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Joshy
Dreamer

Originally Posted by Roscco
My Bsc is in Computer Games Technology, the behaviour traits and pyschological addictions aren't over stressed or emphisised as 'scare mongoring'. The cognative phsycology behind each button press is carefully thought out to keep you comin back for more.

There's a reason people play gay stuff like WoW for days on end........
that aint fair.

whos to say that paying money online to play a game online is any more "stupid" or "gay" than spending thousands on a cossie just to repair it again when it breaks.

fair enough it might not be my cup of tea or even yours but everyones different, otherwise ford would only make the cossie and we would all be driving one
Old 07-12-2010, 12:44 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
you've got a fucking problem!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
you've got a fucking problem!
He's right though. A computer game won't make someone that's perfectly sane go out and murder people. Only someone that's already a bit fucked in the head would do so.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

its the same with films. Bulgers killers didnt kill him because they watched a nasty film, they killed him because they were fucked in the head.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:55 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
He's right though. A computer game won't make someone that's perfectly sane go out and murder people. Only someone that's already a bit fucked in the head would do so.
did you watch the program?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 AM
lead_foot
is awesome

It made me want to go and play Black ops.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A little off topic...

The program wasn't about whether or not games make people act violently, it was about whether or not computer games can become addictive, and how there is no recognition of the fact that, to a minority, they can.

Just showed a few extreme geeks who can't do anything but play WoW
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
did you watch the program?
Yes I did. But as with everything I see on tv/in the newspaper/hear on radio, I took a lot with a pinch of salt. I know quite a lot of people who game (violent games such as cod) and I would safely say none of them would go and kill someone just because of a game. You have to be fucked up in the head already, for a game to trigger you to go and kill someone.