General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Whats going to be the next fad with the cos yb engine

Search this Thread

Old 29-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no it wont, it will just make your car far faster while you have nitrous left, then it will do nothing at all once you empty the bottle, until you fill it up again.

all pretty simple stuff
Old 29-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he must have had a line leak from his nitrous bottle then
Old 29-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ian m
chip i know what your trying to say but lets look at another scenario.
you commision tuner x to build you a 700 bhp engine and when you pick it up and find its a 500 bhp engine with 200 shot of nitrous are you going to be doing cartwheels full of joy, or pissed off that you only have 500 bhp engine that relies on nos to make the power you want.
Old 29-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Anonymous
Banned

i think it was just a case of hollywood make crap films.

if i remember correctly his car "topped out at 140" despite the fact he had a T4 blower on it as well.

perhaps looking at the real world rather the fast and furious might be a better way to learn about nitrous and engine tuning?
Old 29-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JAP CRAP
have to agree with chip on this one. I dont really see nitrous as cheating as loads of people run it on the road and have it in a bottle in their car i.e. easily accessible. never liked the idea of race fuel though cause at the end of the day, how many people run nitrous on the road and how many people run race fuel on the road?? cant go into your local shell and fill up with 110 ron
and you cant buy nos from your local shell station either! you might be able to buy octane booster though...........
Old 29-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
Originally Posted by JAP CRAP
have to agree with chip on this one. I dont really see nitrous as cheating as loads of people run it on the road and have it in a bottle in their car i.e. easily accessible. never liked the idea of race fuel though cause at the end of the day, how many people run nitrous on the road and how many people run race fuel on the road?? cant go into your local shell and fill up with 110 ron
and you cant buy nos from your local shell station either! you might be able to buy octane booster though...........

No but you can easily have a refill bottle in your own garage, thats what i do anyway.
Old 29-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pmsl at martin, spot on

maybe one day the fad of brunters will fook off
Old 29-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Martin, my prediction (despite your budget and obviously vast knowledge and experience) in 5 years time one of two things will be true:

You will be using nitrous on your car for the quarter

You will no longer be one of the quickest YB engine'd cossies in the uk up the quarter.

And thats despite all the other massive advantages your car will always have over most people in terms of the awesome spec of the rest of the car, like drivetrain etc.

You'll still be the man to beat around castle coombe etc though

Which to me is far more important anyway!

Just depends on what you are into, but for top speed and quarter miles, nitrous is where its always going to be at ultimately.
Old 29-01-2005, 10:01 AM
JAP CRAP
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Martin. no, but as I said, how many people run nitrous on the road. how many people run race fuel on the road.

althoug that might be due to Vin diesel not doing 300mph when he flicked his race fuel map switch over button though
Old 29-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ok chip i do understand exactly how nitrous works, i also know its fucking over priced for what it is and thats why i dont use it !!!!

i prefer to buy a engine and then the only thing i wanna have after that is oil and fuel ( even then i wanna have it runs as cheap as possible )

i was taking the piss wioth the fast and furious comment, i love the film tbh and think its a good film too

i will never use nitrous as its too much money for me

oh and nitrous at ya own home, its that legal , aitn they ment to be kept inn certain conditions over a cirtain amont of size ( not a dig in anyway, just mentioning and im sure im wrong either way )

chip good luck on your route , good luck on martins route too

im gonna join imas first route before he got lost and ended up at marks
Old 29-01-2005, 10:14 AM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I also dont agree with NOS...my car wont be using it....as said above,1000bhp aint 1000bhp with part being NOS!!!

Plus dont you have to have a green symbol to go thru tunnels?
Old 29-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Anonymous
Banned

b19bal

fair enough, having very powerful engines is expensive whatever way you do it, so if you dont want to spend the cash then thats a lot more sensible than some of us who waste far too much money on cars.

With regards to the nitrous bottle question, no idea what the regs are for in a normal home, mine is at my workshop, a couple of miles from my house, so ive never looked into home storage
Old 29-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Phil, you dont have to display a green symbol, and ive been through eurotunnel with my bottle without problems, i just had to make sure it was empty and the bottle was open so it couldnt pressurize.
Its no different to having a plumbed in fire extinguisher from a legislation point of view with regards to carrying compressed gasses.
Old 29-01-2005, 10:50 AM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Phil, you dont have to display a green symbol, and ive been through eurotunnel with my bottle without problems, i just had to make sure it was empty and the bottle was open so it couldnt pressurize.

Surely the fact you had to make sure the bottle was empty and open...suggests to me it was the equivilant to not having NOS?
Old 29-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Bosch Man

Surely the fact you had to make sure the bottle was empty and open...suggests to me it was the equivilant to not having NOS?

finaly a post and i agree with

phil ia ya car is not gonna be a nos engine then

just try and do it all ya self
Old 29-01-2005, 11:52 AM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Its no different to having a plumbed in fire extinguisher from a legislation point of view with regards to carrying compressed gasses.
I personally wouldnt want to be the fireman that is putting a car out with a bottle of NOS strapped into the boot
Old 29-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Nitrous is here to stay on the competative side of things, its within the Laws of events like Totb it will be used because it gives an advantage against those who dont. FACT!!.
Personally near 700 off Nitrous is more than enough on the road for a frail old pensioner. However whatever speed my car does off Nitrous it will be 3/4 mph quicker on the gas, so I will use it.
201.8mph is the Topspeed record for a Cossie at the mo & thats also a FACT!!.
A 11lb bottle lasts 2mins @ 130 shot, using a controller it lasts a long time during road use.
At Brunters 15 full bore launches to 150+ & three Topspeed runs used 2min & 14secs
as its only required in 4th/5th in my application.
The adrenallin rush when the Nitrous pushes Power over a genuine 800 is worth cheating for .
Cant wait to get back to Brunters, I want to beat 202 myself & hope Mark goes one hell of a lot faster. I LOVE IT.
Rod
Old 29-01-2005, 04:46 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I see the nitrous argument from both sides, but anything that gives you 130BHP extra at the flick of a switch has got to be good for a laugh
Old 29-01-2005, 04:54 PM
mark_J
PassionFord Regular

The adrenallin rush when the Nitrous pushes Power over a genuine 800 is worth cheating for .
Cant wait to get back to Brunters, I want to beat 202 myself & hope Mark goes one hell of a lot faster. I LOVE IT
Old 29-01-2005, 05:34 PM
davi
Regular Contributor

Superchargers .
Old 29-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Phil, you cant have nitrous in the car when you go through the tunnel, but you dont have to uninstall the kit, merely fill up on the other side, there isnt really enough room driving up the train to need nitrous, so that one place for it to be banned doesnt really effect me anyway, ive never felt the need to flick the switch while driving up through the train anyway so its been no problem that the bottle was empty.

Ive been through the tunnel a few times with nitrous, and only once had to empty it, and that was in a car where it was strapped to the rollcage in the rear window so was pretty obvious, you arent even allowed a car of hairspray in the tunnel so i dont really see it as implying there is a problem with nitrous in general.
Old 29-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by TIFF-C20WTH
I personally wouldnt want to be the fireman that is putting a car out with a bottle of NOS strapped into the boot

Utterly no different to cutting into a CO2 fire extinguisher in any way whatsoever, both woul be a problem in terms of squirting you with high pressure liquid spray from where you breached the bottle, both would put out the fire and both are FAR nicer than cutting into an LPG tank or even a petrol tank for that matter.
Old 30-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Martin, my prediction (despite your budget and obviously vast knowledge and experience) in 5 years time one of two things will be true:

You will be using nitrous on your car for the quarter

You will no longer be one of the quickest YB engine'd cossies in the uk up the quarter.

And thats despite all the other massive advantages your car will always have over most people in terms of the awesome spec of the rest of the car, like drivetrain etc.

You'll still be the man to beat around castle coombe etc though

Which to me is far more important anyway!

Just depends on what you are into, but for top speed and quarter miles, nitrous is where its always going to be at ultimately.
Chip, Martin HAS used NOS of an Escos at santapod over 5 years AGO! This was one of his first Escos and it was a 500bhp+ T4 car that also had NOS installed. It made a massive difference to the cars 1/4 mile performance! I think he gained over 10mph terminal speed Just because he doesn't like using something doesn't mean he don't know how effective it can be or how to use it properly mate

here is the Reyland NOS equipped Escos. This was a cool colour back then

mini piccys were cool by the way
Old 30-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

FPMSL@people on here, some people clearly have NO idea how nitrous works

Martin does tho dont agree with it, but some of the other peoples comments

I wont be using it (well not immediatley anyhow) as i cant justify the costs as yet for what il be using it for, but i might do
Old 30-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Chipperx2
Advanced PassionFord User

I would say VVT
Old 30-01-2005, 02:29 PM
gearboxman
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Back to the original question......

Surely it has to be more revs?

If a ceiling has been reached with regards to available torque, then the obvious solution (to me anyway) is to increase the workrate of that available torque within a given timebase i.e. Push the power band higher.

I believe Karl has investigated this avenue of thought with a de-stroked YB pulling big revs, but would have thought that more might have gone this way.....

After all, if BMW managed to get 1500bhp out of a 1500cc four pot, twenty years ago, we're not really pushing the envelope yet, are we?
Old 30-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Alg1k
PassionFord Post Troll

We may be able to get 1500 hp if we weld the head to the block
Revved my new engine to 8700 last night
Old 30-01-2005, 02:43 PM
gearboxman

Originally Posted by Alg1k
What, deliberately, or did you hook the wrong gear?
Old 30-01-2005, 02:43 PM
RaVeR
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by davi
Superchargers .
good idea nowt like the sound of a supercharger a white golf goes around notts has some mad supercharger conversion under there sounds the tits would sound better on a cossie
Old 30-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Alg1k
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by gearboxman
Originally Posted by Alg1k
What, deliberately, or did you hook the wrong gear?
Old 30-01-2005, 03:05 PM
gearboxman

For example:

If you could make 450lb ft at 10,000rpm, that would give you 856bhp
450lb ft isn't THAT far fetched, is it?

Surely the technology is there for crank/rods/pistons to cope......

Now, what exactly is THE limit for gasflow through a YB cylinder head?

COULD you flow 10,000 litres of air per minute?
Old 30-01-2005, 03:37 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

where's that figure come from bernie?
Old 30-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Anonymous
Banned

IF you use nitrous, then you can easily get 2000bhp worth of oxygen into the chamber.

Porkie, fair enough mate, didnt realise martin had already used gas before, no doubt then he will be painfully aware how hard (well impssible really) the results are to match without using nitrous (in terms of a massive peak figure, good torque curve and no lag) unless you go for more displacement in a big way.

I guess it will take someone with an engine like Rods but in a 4wd car (fook knows what transmission it wuld be on!) to show the potential up the quarter with gas, rods engine in a 4wd cossie would be in the 9s for certain if you could get the transmission to cope.

I hope martin does continue without gas though as he is really doing a good job of showing just what is possible "all motor" his cars (including yours etc) are all just raising the bar higher and higher all the time.
Old 30-01-2005, 04:24 PM
CossieEdd
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I guess it will take someone with an engine like Rods but in a 4wd car (fook knows what transmission it wuld be on!) to show the potential up the quarter with gas, rods engine in a 4wd cossie would be in the 9s for certain if you could get the transmission to cope.
Sounds a bit like Ranj's don't it ?
Old 30-01-2005, 04:46 PM
gearboxman

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
where's that figure come from bernie?
10,000,000 litres
EDIT

No! hang on.....

At 10,000rpm, over the course of a minute there would be 5000 complete cycles of the 2000cc engine, or, 10,000 cycles of half the engine. Yes?

5000x2000=10,000,000cc or 10,000litres, per minute

Am I right?........
......help!

/EDIT
Old 30-01-2005, 05:50 PM
gearboxman

.......or 353.29 cubic feet per minute, I think

Will a YB flow this?

Am I a mile out with the maths.......?

Anyone?
Old 30-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Anonymous
Banned

you are a mile out with the maths, especially as you forgot the cossie is a turbo.
Old 30-01-2005, 06:58 PM
gearboxman

You're right of course about the forced induction
What about the basic maths?
If you were running 2 bar, would you multiply the litreage by three, working on the assumption that one non-forced induction is one-times cylinder capacity, 1 bar is two-times, etc?
Old 31-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by gearboxman
You're right of course about the forced induction
What about the basic maths?
If you were running 2 bar, would you multiply the litreage by three, working on the assumption that one non-forced induction is one-times cylinder capacity, 1 bar is two-times, etc?
Well kind of, in a perfect world anyway, but the thing you need to remember is that as the revs rise, the cyliders get less and less time to attempt to fill, so the volumetric efficiency really tails off.

If you want to work out a very approximate value for how much air you are flowing, then divide the BHP output of the engine at that point in the rev range by 10, and thats approximately how many lbs per minute of air you are consuming.

so a 500bhp cossie is consuming about 50lbs a minute based on that.

In reality though, the higher the output of the engine, the less efficient it is and hence the more air it needs to consume per bhp, so you may find that at N/A its only 9lb of air per minute for a 100bhp engine, but on a modified turbo motor at high boost its 11 or more lb of air per minute for each 100bhp .

The 10 works as a good rule of thumb though.

You cant measure it in litres though, you have to measure it in weight of air, as once its in the cylinder its going to be .5 litre of air at the bottom of the intake stroke no matter what boost pressure it is, as obviously its a fixed volume container and the air present will ALWAYS fill it, wether there is a tiny bit of air or a huge amount, the volume will be the same, only the pressure and temperature will vary.

You then need to look at some really basic physics if you want the actual numbers at any point in the cycle, so use boyles law
(PV=nRT)

Hope that helps.

Chip
Old 31-01-2005, 04:00 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

chip-3door,

Quick Reply: Whats going to be the next fad with the cos yb engine