General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Do turbo timers VOID your insurance!?

Search this Thread

Old 28-01-2005, 06:10 PM
CharlieSaff
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do turbo timers VOID your insurance!?

anyone know the answer?

Cheers
Old 28-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Max
Advanced PassionFord User

I believe that turbo timers invalidate the Thacham approval on your alarm system. Which could invalidate your insurance
Old 28-01-2005, 06:15 PM
TILLIO

They ado void the insurance, not quite sure of the exact technicalities, but CAT 1 is void if you have devices that keep the car runningafter the alarm is set
Old 28-01-2005, 06:16 PM
creedy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

just have to wait for your car to finish counting down and stop before setting alarm.
Old 28-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Your insurance is void if - "your vehicle is running whilst the driver is not in it"
Old 28-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its also illegal to use one

unless u are sat in the car with the keys in the ignition
Old 28-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Max

Am i right in thinkin the same applies for the remote start feature

Trending Topics

Old 28-01-2005, 07:23 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

dingy is right
forget about turbo timers,you aint even allowed to leave a engine running if its un-attended
Old 28-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Was there not a post on here somewhere ages ago naming a couple of insurance compaines who DO accept turbo timers.

I could be wrong, but possibly Greenlight were favourable towards them?!
Old 28-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clare, its illegal by law so how can insurance change that

Not that the law means fuck all....i mean 170 up the M1 aint exactly law abiding
Old 28-01-2005, 07:31 PM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

when i got pulled i jumped out the car and he said i just commited an offence by leaving it unattended.

so i sat in the car and ignored him for a minute before i turned it off!
Old 28-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Clare
Was there not a post on here somewhere ages ago naming a couple of insurance compaines who DO accept turbo timers.

I could be wrong, but possibly Greenlight were favourable towards them?!
No , I think your thinking of the Clifford Black Jaxx Anti Hijack feature , and yes Greenight were favourable towards the feature even though having it ARMED does invalidate your insurance through other companys

EDITED TO SAY EVEN CLIFFORD ADMIT THIS THEMSELVES AS THE BLACK JAXX IS NOT THATCHAM APPROVED AND NEVER WILL BE
Old 28-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ahhhh you're right Deano, I am thinking of that, apologies
Old 28-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its illegal to have the keys in the ignition whilst un attended i thought

as in if ya on a driving ban and ya sit in the drivers seat with the keys in the ignition ( wether the car is on or off) you could get do for bing in charge of a vehicle whilst on aban

as for the turbo timer i dont see why its illegal if the ignition cuts off when the hand brake is down

and i use mine all the time and all i get is old grannys in waitrose telling me i forgot to turn me car off
Old 28-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Clare
Ahhhh you're right Deano, I am thinking of that, apologies
Non needed
Old 28-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

But Ginge, i bet you also get the granny's having a whip round to get you £5 for a car wash
Old 28-01-2005, 08:38 PM
FastFordChris

isnt there a sytem that doesnt need the engine to be on? i'm sure i read about one in one of the car mages ages ago. dunno if its any good tho
Old 28-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the idea of a turbo timer is to keep the engine running to cool it and the oil hence the engine needs to be on!!!! or a TT is pretty pointless!!!!!!

No other way of doin it surely
Old 28-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

No other way of doin it surely
drive slow for the last 5 mins of ya journey perhaps
Old 28-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Jimboxr4x4

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

b19bal - its not an offence to sit in the car with the keys in the ignition whilst on a ban. The offence is driving whilst disqualified and the person must actually be driving a motor vehicle on a road.

There is an offence of leaving a vehicle with the engine running but can't remember exactly what it is. However, if the vehicle was locked and secure with the engine running that may be a defence. Its supposed to stop people leaving cars and going into shops etc while some 15 year old joy riding rat boy jumps in and helps himself.
Old 28-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thats wired as when i got stopped in a carpark siting in me mates car with the ley on the dash the copper said to me if the leys was in the ignition he would have done me for driving whilst disqualified

that was when i was 18, the fooker still searched me though anyway as he also thought i was in posention of a controled substance

as for the new stop for anti terrorist bollocks dont get me started

just saying what i was told, its ment to be if ya incontrol of a vehicle, hence why ya cant sleep off a good night out in ya car if ya drunk as ya are incontrol whilst intoxicated ( again could be another made up law, alot of old bill seem to make em up to suit them at the time, like my bald tyre that i had to use a mot tyre gauge to prve they was legal
Old 28-01-2005, 10:32 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

my turbo timer allows me to leave the car running take the keys out,, lock it,, walk away & when the timer turns the engine off the immobiliser cuts in,,

so you dont have to sit about waiting for it to turn off,,,, just press the fob to activate the timer,, take the keys out,, lock it & off i go

its built into (added by a close friend who fitted the alarm & designed the turbo timer himself ) my toad cat 1

not sure about legality though
Old 28-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by CHICKEN
my turbo timer allows me to leave the car running take the keys out,, lock it,, walk away & when the timer turns the engine off the immobiliser cuts in,,

so you dont have to sit about waiting for it to turn off,,,, just press the fob to activate the timer,, take the keys out,, lock it & off i go

its built into (added by a close friend who fitted the alarm & designed the turbo timer himself ) my toad cat 1

not sure about legality though

thats a normal turbo timer

mine choses the correct time to keep it running aswell

im sure a turbo timer that you have to stay in the car untill the car turns off wont sell as well as the one that allows ya to walk away

i could be wrong though
Old 28-01-2005, 11:06 PM
FastFordChris

i'm sure u can get done for drink drive if u have the key to ur car, u dont even ahve to be in the car.

and i'm sure u can get a turbo timer kit that lets u turn the engine off as it blows air a keep the oil running withoutt he engines being on. i've got a feature on it somewhere. not sure if its any good tho.
Old 28-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

this is a reply from our local cruise board where we have a section for asking police whats legal or not and they explain why!!!

Turbo Timers

Originally Posted by Andy
Is it illegal to leave use a turbo timer when your not supervising the vehicle???

If your not sure what a turbo timer is.. its a electronical device used to keep the cars engine running for a set time (usually between 30 seconds and 5 minutes) to let the turbo cool down.. when the time set is up it turns the car off.
The car can be locked whilst the turbo timer is in use..

I'm pretty sure there is a law that says your not allowed to leave a running car unsupervised.. just wandered if there was any exceptions.

Cheers.
Then Sgt Dave Cole of the Norfolk Force replied.......

Originally Posted by Sgt Dave Cole Norfolk Constabulary
Yes, you're right when you guessed there is an offence of leaving an unattended vehicle with the engine running. Regulation 98, Construction & Use Regs 1986 creates an offence of 'quitting' a motor vehicle.

The regs only apply on a road. I should think after a normal drive the turbo won't be hot enough to worry about shutting down, but we did have to be careful with the Cosworths we used to own, but police cars are exempt the regs and we would usually leave the car running to power the emergency lights after a run to an accident etc.

Another problem was the rear pads welding themselves to the discs after a fast run when you put the handbrake on!

Dave Cole
there u have it
Old 28-01-2005, 11:49 PM
yer
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by b19bal
thats wired as when i got stopped in a carpark siting in me mates car with the ley on the dash the copper said to me if the leys was in the ignition he would have done me for driving whilst disqualified

that was when i was 18, the fooker still searched me though anyway as he also thought i was in posention of a controled substance

just saying what i was told, its ment to be if ya incontrol of a vehicle, hence why ya cant sleep off a good night out in ya car if ya drunk as ya are incontrol whilst intoxicated ( again could be another made up law, alot of old bill seem to make em up to suit them at the time, like my bald tyre that i had to use a mot tyre gauge to prve they was legal

Yes your right m8 my mums m8 got done for drink driving for just getting in his car for a pack of fags ect
The old bill watch him come out the pub and get in his car then the pulled him out and nickied him ?????????????????

But most coppers make it up as they go as one copper told me i wasdoing 90+mph in a 30 as he was doing that + trying to catch me up But he had to over take 4 cars before he got behind me

Then told me my speedo must be out and all i got was a bit of paper to go show my docs ect at the cop shop
Old 29-01-2005, 06:33 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Turbo Timers are definately illegal here as well. The Police even have specific squads to spot devices like that when they pull you up. Also dump valves that vent to the atmosphere so instead they have to be plumbed back. Several other rules as well. Modified cars here do have to conform to some pretty strict rules unfortunately.
Old 29-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Also dump valves that vent to the atmosphere

nothing wrong with dumpvalves being against the law , think thats a good idea
Old 29-01-2005, 07:54 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Also dump valves that vent to the atmosphere

nothing wrong with dumpvalves being against the law , think thats a good idea
Good point, well the whooshing ones anyway
Old 29-01-2005, 08:03 AM
SeanT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by saff_cossie
Modified cars here do have to conform to some pretty strict rules unfortunately.

But they sell OEM huuuuuge V8s at silly prices
Old 29-01-2005, 08:42 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by CapriSean
Originally Posted by saff_cossie
Modified cars here do have to conform to some pretty strict rules unfortunately.

But they sell OEM huuuuuge V8s at silly prices
That is true. Had a car feature in our local free paper today for the Falcon GTP with 290KW out of the factory and 19" rims. Priced at $70,500.

The reason they are so strict is the cars available to the young. A "P" plater in Victoria (anyone with less than 3 years experience or has gained points on their "p's") can drive a vehicle up to 125KW per tonne. That includes most skylines (single turbo) and V6's. Car insurance here is done more on the value of the car than the performance, in my experience anyway. I am 24 and have a 5 year old Lexus and pay less than 400quid fully comp for. I have never held insurance in my own name for longer than a month in the UK (as my cars broke down or were sold before the year was out!)

The cossie was insured here for less than 400quid as well.

So you get kids between 18 and 21 driving some very nice cars over here and extremely powerful cars but sadly the death rate for them is very high.
Old 30-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Originally Posted by yer

Yes your right m8 my mums m8 got done for drink driving for just getting in his car for a pack of fags ect
The old bill watch him come out the pub and get in his car then the pulled him out and nickied him ?????????????????
eh?

By law u can't get nicked for drink driving until your keys are in the ignistion.

Soon as u do u are 'attempting to drive' hence u can get arrested and charged.
Old 30-01-2005, 09:37 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've never got this timer thing... how hard is it to just sit in the car for a short while on the very rare occasions that you've been ragging the nuts off it and stop straight away (how many times does that REALLY happen??)..
Even a short rundown at normal speeds before you stop is sufficient to cool everything down sufficiently
How about a Handbrake Timer to apply the handbrake 15 minutes after we've stopped to avoid rear disc/pad damage?..
Old 30-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

How about a Handbrake Timer to apply the handbrake 15 minutes after we've stopped to avoid rear disc/pad damage

thats actually a good idea and more usefull than a turbo timer

smit you are correct, the keys have to be in the ignition only !!!!!, hence why a turbo timer aint strictly illegal and the keys are not left in the ignition and the car is secure and when ya lower the hand brake it cuts off

thats what i was trying to get at
Old 31-01-2005, 05:43 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a topic on it.
https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87847

and they still don't invalidate your insurance
Old 31-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Originally Posted by richm
I've never got this timer thing... how hard is it to just sit in the car for a short while on the very rare occasions that you've been ragging the nuts off it and stop straight away (how many times does that REALLY happen??)..
Even a short rundown at normal speeds before you stop is sufficient to cool everything down sufficiently
How about a Handbrake Timer to apply the handbrake 15 minutes after we've stopped to avoid rear disc/pad damage?..
I agree, nothing but a toy/gimmick unless you work someone where like a motorway service station where you can pull straight up after a flat out run