General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

dont get into a fight with one of these peeps

Search this Thread

Old 16-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Genuine question - are sikhs stilll exempt from wearing crash helmets on motor bikes?

(I believe this was the case years ago, and only thought of it as it was in a rerun of an only fools and horses episode i saw the other day!)
Old 16-11-2010, 09:15 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Markb_s1
Genuine question - are sikhs stilll exempt from wearing crash helmets on motor bikes?

(I believe this was the case years ago, and only thought of it as it was in a rerun of an only fools and horses episode i saw the other day!)
Last time i chcked yes
Old 16-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Markb_s1

I believe so.

And TBH I dont have a problem with that, they arent endangering anyone else in doing so.
Im all for making allowances for people trying to live out their favourite book based fantasy, wether that be wearing a startrek uniform or some outfit from the bible or whatever, but Im not for it when it involves dangerous items as part of the fancy dress.
Old 16-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chip
And TBH I dont have a problem with that, they arent endangering anyone else in doing so.
Me neither... for precisely the reasons you state. Was just wondering.
Old 16-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Willis1989
Regular Contributor

disgrace, that is nnothing more than a deadly weapon
Old 16-11-2010, 10:11 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

You people see something that you can sensessionalise without realising that it's cerimonial and you can buy them where you aren't able to remove any bladed part of it from the sheath.

So that's the end of that then and no need to carry o. With this "oh look at them with their big knives in their pockets ready to stab my dear little jinny while he's in the playground, let's march on downing street and make a big fuss over it because I've been ignorant of any of the facts of the case fir the past 40 years"
Old 16-11-2010, 10:22 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by dojj
You people see something that you can sensessionalise without realising that it's cerimonial and you can buy them where you aren't able to remove any bladed part of it from the sheath.
Is that true?

That the majority of them are welded or locked shut somehow?

Heard that before..
Old 16-11-2010, 10:30 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Richard yes its true.. youcan pull the blade out half an inch maybe and then it gets jammed
Old 16-11-2010, 10:30 AM
3dr
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Serious question; How old is the sikh religion and is it man made?
Old 16-11-2010, 10:39 AM
dave_s2_rst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by 3dr

Originally started by Guru Nanak and 'officially' formed in 1699 by Guru Gobind.

With regards to the kirpan (sword) I agree that in some situations it may be risky, i.e. kids taking it/ or what ever. I never heard of a situation whereby a sikh has threatend someone with it.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:42 AM
excursion
Bulletin Board User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't either, in principal, the same with front seat seat belts. The problem is with the potential care costs that the already struggling NHS has to pick up following an accident.

With regards to the original topic: I don't have a problem with Sikh's wearing a ceremonial knife. I've met many Sikh's and I really do look up to their values and how they conduct themselves, and I as a (non practicing) Christian look up to them a great deal.

Knife/Gun crime is just another systemic issue related to, in my view, is the underlying cause; and that is bad parenting and a complete lack of responsibility and understanding when it comes to having and raising children. I'm talking here about the kind of people who have no idea where their children are on a daily or even weekly basis. Until the benefit culture has stopped, and the cycle of violence and abuse has ended, we will continue to have these kind of debates and the children of genuine parents will continue to get caught up in the knife crime/disrespectful youth culture.

The last time I checked Britan was ahead of the US and even South Africa and top of the violent crimes list with a violent crime rate of 2,034 crimes per 100,000 residents. Poorer countries such as Italy and the crippled Spain, who place for more importance on the family, we're not even in the top ten.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:50 AM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets not forget who helped england win the last 2 world wars (some of you need to learn your history before commenting) and also some of there campaigns abroad.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:50 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

On a serious note... I think whoever is educated enough to actually cultivate a heritage like this dagger thing, is probably no danger to other people anyways...

I'd be much more scared by a drunken chav with a stella bottle than a sikh with a dagger!
Old 16-11-2010, 10:54 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by 3dr
311 years old and the newest recognised religion if you don't count star wars and tom cruise

As for made by man, you could have a 30 pager here but the basics are that our 10th guru decided that we had "faith" and we would follow the right path when it was asked of us and laid down some very simple terms that we, for the most part, follow in our daily lives. Some will do the whole deal and yet not go into the preisthood while others dedicate their lives to it, just the same as every other religion I suppose would do, and the rest of us do our bit as well. We don't preach hate or violence against anyone else but it's all about being good to one anoher and if you live a good honest life then that is the best that you can hope to achive, but if the call comes, I think most Sikhs would heed the call, because that's what makes us who we are.

Obviously there are those who will fight more vigourosly for the cause than others who will be more vocal in their protests and you will have others who will try to bend the teachings for their own benifits, one of them being that the teaching that have been laid down in the guru Granth sahib ( our holy book and the last word) state that there will be no more gurus to follow, yet there are a few chancers out there who want to become the next guru so there is that too

But virtually all of the events that have led up to the cration and the history of the Sikh nation and the happenings in Punjab where we are are written down in history just like the history of Europe or America or china or whatever so it's all based on "reality" rather than being thousands of years of word of mouth

But I think the best thing about it is that it teaches tolerance to others and those who try to lead you from the correct path and into temptation.
Old 16-11-2010, 11:16 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterRST
Being German, could I bring my own gas chamber to school if I lived in britain?
Genuine LOL
Old 16-11-2010, 11:37 AM
rs-tuner
Advanced PassionFord User

Being German, could I bring my own gas chamber to school if I lived in britain?
No but you can store Jews in your locker
Old 16-11-2010, 11:43 AM
TWoods
Regular Contributor

At my kids school they handed out leaflets explaining this knife at school situation

a. kids ones are blunt as spoons or locked
b. teachers are allowed to lock them away during PE (good old tear of slip at the bottom)
c. they are hidden and distinct religous items unlike other social items
Old 16-11-2010, 12:47 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by TWoods
At my kids school they handed out leaflets explaining this knife at school situation

a. kids ones are blunt as spoons or locked
b. teachers are allowed to lock them away during PE (good old tear of slip at the bottom)
c. they are hidden and distinct religous items unlike other social items
Spot on, and no need for parents to overly excited at the prospect of mass murders in the school during playtime
Old 16-11-2010, 01:19 PM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

Sikhs who wear the kirpan believe in a saint soldier concept. Even though they are soldier like, they are like saintly.
Sikh are for human rights that why so many including both my grandfathers fought in the world wars. Also why so many settled here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/episode/b00vys5t
Sikh are the reason why the whole of India wasn't forced converted to Islam!
Also Sikhs are the only sucessful people to conquer afghanastan.
Sikh religion is the most modern religion out of the big 6.
Old 16-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by dojj
Spot on, and no need for parents to overly excited at the prospect of mass murders in the school during playtime
just need to remind them that mr patel from the pharmacy who gave you your prescription,,,,,, was also wearing one too AND that doctor who saved your sons life,,,,,,,,,, terrible race of people them suicde turban bombers
Old 16-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by m3cosworth
Sikh religion is the most modern religion out of the big 6.
Jedi is a newer religion although weirdly doesnt seem to be quite as wildly accepted as sihkism yet, Im sure that it just needs more time though.
Old 16-11-2010, 01:49 PM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

Jedi is a newer religion although weirdly doesnt seem to be quite as wildly accepted as sihkism yet, Im sure that it just needs more time though.
Lol
Old 16-11-2010, 02:18 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

I just read the whole wikipedia article on sikhism and have to say fair play to that. Out of all the religions they make by far the most sense to me! Given the fact that most of their guidelines are hundreds of years old they must have been well ahead of their time!
Old 16-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

I just read the whole wikipedia article on sikhism and have to say fair play to that. Out of all the religions they make by far the most sense to me! Given the fact that most of their guidelines are hundreds of years old they must have been well ahead of their time!
mate the muslim religion is also just a normal with good ideas ect

personally im more in favour of jehovas whitness as they are the only religion who seem to be able to explain the history of the bible and treating others equal rather than having a war with each other in the name of god
Old 16-11-2010, 03:26 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by Ginge !
mate the muslim religion is also just a normal with good ideas ect
Yes, but it is still kind of old-fashioned.

From what I've read so far, Sikhism is way different from any other "big" religion.
Old 16-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thats cause muslim religion has never changed to suit the times,,, but then should it if it is all true

ill admit im of the reality of science and im not quite sure we all came from tadpoles over time,,,,,, i aint quite a fickle as to belive some bloke called god allows his children to kill each other considering he made us,,,,,, he must be able to control us

i recon there is a missing link between egyptians and all of this,,, they was well ahead of us yet we seem to forgot what happened
Old 16-11-2010, 04:03 PM
dojj

just need to remind them that mr patel from the pharmacy who gave you your prescription,,,,,, was also wearing one too AND that doctor who saved your sons life,,,,,,,,,, terrible race of people them suicde turban bombers
Actually mr patel will be a Hindu
Old 16-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

really,,,,,,, does that mean hes gonna blow us up with his rucksack then pmsl

notice the hindu have managed to avoid the racial hate at the moment

im guess they wear the looser turbans and not the tighter ones if that makes sence ( im sure you get what i mean,,,,, most members on this forum will prob think its a bandage that needs pulling tight
Old 16-11-2010, 04:19 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Religions a load of crap imo, but each to their own IF done safely, clearly this is not.
tabetha
Old 16-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by tabetha
Religions a load of crap imo, but each to their own IF done safely, clearly this is not.
tabetha
been fine for almost 100 years over here,,,,, until it was mentioned in the news nobody was the wiser,,,,, meaning that nobody got stabbed

but then again,,, if the police wanna ban something they get the news to report about how many deaths are caused and so the public call for it to be delt with

who remember the "meiow meiow" reports,,,,, all the deaths from it and it was banned,,,,,, THEN MONTHS LATER,,,, turns out it was wrong and only ever caused one death by a person who injected it !!!!....... though its still banned though !
Old 16-11-2010, 06:37 PM
dojj

really,,,,,,, does that mean hes gonna blow us up with his rucksack then pmsl

notice the hindu have managed to avoid the racial hate at the moment

im guess they wear the looser turbans and not the tighter ones if that makes sence ( im sure you get what i mean,,,,, most members on this forum will prob think its a bandage that needs pulling tight
hindu's don't tend to wear turbans mate

traditional punjabi smart turban

this is the normal day to day turban

this is a fighting sikh army turban http://www.flickr.com/photos/30917112@N06/3368562318/ there is a little write up below the pic to help you steer clear of this lot, proper militants and what sikhs were like back in the day when fighting was what it was all about

compare that to the sort of turban muslims wear

and you can tell the difference immediatly

there are also kenyian turbans as well which have a more pronounced point to them and are starched to give them more of a flatter shape

there are also rajistani turbans, the rolled up style turbans, royal turbans, loads in fact but only those shown above are sikh turbans and the one you will realistically see out and about
Old 16-11-2010, 06:40 PM
left hooker
PassionFord Regular

thats cause muslim religion has never changed to suit the times,,, but then should it if it is all true

ill admit im of the reality of science and im not quite sure we all came from tadpoles over time,,,,,, i aint quite a fickle as to belive some bloke called god allows his children to kill each other considering he made us,,,,,, he must be able to control us

i recon there is a missing link between egyptians and all of this,,, they was well ahead of us yet we seem to forgot what happened

Old 16-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

its the kenyan turban i was thinking of compared to the general turban
Old 16-11-2010, 07:10 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The rules need to be no knives in school and anyone who doesnt like that shouldnt be going to school in this country IMHO
Spot on.
Personally I wouldn't care how respectable Sikh's are, how responsible they are, nothing. I cannot believe this is even a discussion, it should be as Chip says, close the book, move on.
But of course this is England we're talking about, and we are too scared of upsetting every other country and religion in the world.
Old 16-11-2010, 07:38 PM
left hooker
PassionFord Regular

put it this way would any other religion let us build a church of england in there country.
like hell would they
Old 16-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Interesting read!

My own opinion is basically ALL religions are bollocks! If they want a knife to signify whatever it is then why can't it be a little trinket attached to a chain around their neck?

Whilst Sikhs are generally better than most of the minorities, of all the light brown people, Gurkhas are still the best!!
Old 16-11-2010, 07:52 PM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by left hooker
put it this way would any other religion let us build a church of england in there country.
like hell would they
Your very wrong there son.
Hundreds of churches in India. Indians respect other religions and people are free to worship who they like. It's the lack of understanding and general ignorance here that makes people afraid of other religions. There no harm in any place in worship.
Old 16-11-2010, 07:56 PM
left hooker
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by m3cosworth
Your very wrong there son.
Hundreds of churches in India. Indians respect other religions and people are free to worship who they like. It's the lack of understanding and general ignorance here that makes people afraid of other religions. There no harm in any place in worship.
ok i will give you my cosworth if you can set up a church of england in afganistan with out one little problem no matter how small it is
Old 16-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yaaaawwn.

Hate religion with a Passion... even more so when those that are born here go over to training camps to learn how to.blow up innocent people....

As far as I'm concerned... religion is a load of bollocks. So those that are writing essays about the history. Go do your preaching elsewhere. It's not welcome here.
Old 16-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

And before anyone quotes me word for word.. its my opinion. I'm not interested in yours.

Quick Reply: dont get into a fight with one of these peeps