General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

somalian pirates release hostages

Search this Thread

Old 14-11-2010, 09:04 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default somalian pirates release hostages

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11754357

not too sure what's happened, but they are free and alive, so well done to whoever rescued them
Old 14-11-2010, 09:30 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Fantastic news! It looks like some sort of ransom was paid! I don't think we'll ever find out the truth, as they don't want to give the 'pirates' any reason to do it again.

Apparently the couple got an injunction to prevent the press reporting on the story as it was negatively influencing the pirates!

They'll either slip back into obscurity, or there will be a million and one documentaries on it!

Either way it's good that they're free. Must have been an unimaginably tough year, even more so when they were separated for three months!
Old 14-11-2010, 09:37 PM
stuboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

good dam news....
Old 14-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

wankers, the pirates that is what the fuck will they spend the ransom on? They live in a shit hole, not like they can pop into dixons and buy a 60" 3D tv

Was just on the itv news tho, details of all the cash paid
Old 14-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Colin_P
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Shouldn't the SAS now go there and get their money back kill them all.
Old 14-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

good news they are out. Although i firmly believe in the ethos of not negotiating with terrorists/hostage takers and never paying a ransom.

they only do it because they know people pay up eventually. If everyone took a hard line stance then all they could do is steal the ships and kill the crew and the average somalian pirate is just a poor fisherman and has no means of selling on a large container ship
Old 14-11-2010, 11:48 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

It's good that they've been freed, but I was always a bit on the fence with this story to be honest.

Obviously it was a horrible ordeal for them both, but weren't they warned not to go to the area that they went to, as it's known for high levels of pirate activity?

Kind of only lets me have so much sympathy for them to be honest. Might sound a bit harsh, but there's plenty of other places to go sailing about. That's like being told there's 20 sharks off the beach and then going for a swim anyway

Trending Topics

Old 15-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Sadly the fact a ransom was paid (estimated at 1 million dollars) is going to lead to many more kidnappings I would expect.
Old 15-11-2010, 06:14 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by massivewangers
It's good that they've been freed, but I was always a bit on the fence with this story to be honest.

Obviously it was a horrible ordeal for them both, but weren't they warned not to go to the area that they went to, as it's known for high levels of pirate activity?

Kind of only lets me have so much sympathy for them to be honest. Might sound a bit harsh, but there's plenty of other places to go sailing about. That's like being told there's 20 sharks off the beach and then going for a swim anyway
I thought the same until I discovered they were 700miles away from the Somalian coast!
Old 15-11-2010, 06:58 AM
dojj

Should have done what the frnch did a while back when the somalians took one of their ships over, send in the comandos, kill the pirates, leave the rest alive on a boat, send them on their way
Old 15-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by massivewangers

Pirates are now operating over 500miles from shore!! Skiffs with 10 somlians in it have taken over 60,000tonne tankers that have upto 20m drafts! They ain't stupid.

If the Merchant Navy fleet were armed it may put the pirates off but the last thing we need is gunfights at sea, things would get out of control.

In most cases, not all, the pirates look after the captured people very well, apparently they are actually building HOTELS!! to put them in, keep them fresh and healthy so that a ransom is paid by the company they work for or the government etc.... They are proper gangsters working with big money, not idiots by any stretch of the imagination.

The Royal Navy have ships stationed in high risk areas but even they they can be over 100miles away when they get a distress call, by the time they get there the chances are the pirates will have control.

http://www.icc-ccs.org/index.php?opt...map&Itemid=219

Quite an interesting map of actual pirate attacks/attempts.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:01 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

The goverment could have paid a ransom i reckon but we will never find out the truith , how many hoatages were held in baghdad at the time with a ransome of letting terrorists go & the goverment never gave in leading to beheadings of the likes of ken bigley & others! if the goverment was seen to be paying a ransome for they ppl & not releasing terrorists leading to beheadings it would kick up a heavy stink.

Last edited by carlo; 15-11-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldo
Pirates are now operating over 500miles from shore!! Skiffs with 10 somlians in it have taken over 60,000tonne tankers that have upto 20m drafts! They ain't stupid.

If the Merchant Navy fleet were armed it may put the pirates off but the last thing we need is gunfights at sea, things would get out of control.

In most cases, not all, the pirates look after the captured people very well, apparently they are actually building HOTELS!! to put them in, keep them fresh and healthy so that a ransom is paid by the company they work for or the government etc.... They are proper gangsters working with big money, not idiots by any stretch of the imagination.

The Royal Navy have ships stationed in high risk areas but even they they can be over 100miles away when they get a distress call, by the time they get there the chances are the pirates will have control.

http://www.icc-ccs.org/index.php?opt...map&Itemid=219

Check out sailor boy with his new found hobby!
Old 15-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Check out sailor boy with his new found hobby!

LOL. I actually read it back after i posted and thought "i sound like a twat, i bet someone will rip me for that"!!!
Old 15-11-2010, 12:14 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 15-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

The merchant navy fleet wouldnt be merchant navy if they were armed would have all sorts of political implications.

what would be a good idea would be armed security teams (be it merc or armed forces) on the ships while they transit through high risk areas.

Its far cheaper to do that than to have enough warships in the area to provide an effective response, especially when you consider how big an area they operate over now.

But again it has implications under international law to have armed security forces on a merchant ship. It is doable though and far more doable than having merchant ships with deck guns and the crews being trained to repel pirates with small arms. Most merchant ships wouldnt have got the guns out the lockers by the time they have been attacked A bridge look out is not designed to be for security and for a low RCS unlit gofast target you are unlikely to see it before its too late. Thats where a dedicated security force keeping their own security watch on deck would be more effective.
Old 15-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If they have a problem, and no one else can help, maybe they could hire the A team?
Old 15-11-2010, 05:20 PM
dojj

warren is too busy fighting chavs in the midlands

plus he's not allowed on boats anymore
Old 15-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Glad there free.
Old 15-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by dojj
warren is too busy fighting chavs in the midlands

plus he's not allowed on boats anymore
Im not allowed on boats (submarines) but i am allowed on ships. I was made permanently unfit submarines but due to the way the commissioning system works, as in submarines i had been recommended for transfer to the career commission but as i my career in subs was binned so was my recommendation so i reverted back to my 12 year commission. I couldnt have transferred to surface ships as i would have not enough opportunity to get sea service and experience to get a recommendation to transfer to career commission before my career ends.

Its strange, you are not allowed to transfer commission or be promoted in the last year of service and i had 2 1/2 years left so in effect only just over a year at sea in which to get recommendation for transfer which is virtually impossible to get the recommend and have enough time to actually get the transfer in such a short time. annoying really as i wanted to at least try but in the end the career managers and docs agreed it would not be in my best interests! oh well.

damn, im rambling. turning into dojj
Originally Posted by Chip
If they have a problem, and no one else can help, maybe they could hire the A team?
How about the Pf team?? there's enough racial hatred on this site for all the uneducated morons to go killing somalis as most of them are muslims and immigrants to the uk

shame most of them would get wasted really quick when they soon find out being all mouth gets them no where when they are up against the AK47 and RPG!

second thoughts.... lets do it and kill 2 birds with one stone
Old 15-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

LOL. I actually read it back after i posted and thought "i sound like a twat, i bet someone will rip me for that"!!!
It just shows you're keen mate! Before you know it you'll be at the Captain's table sucking his cock

Originally Posted by DaveEscos

Haha i did a proper LOL there
Old 15-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Before you know it you'll be at the Captain's table sucking his cock
naaahhh they have phillipino cabin boys for that in the merchant navy
Old 15-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
naaahhh they have phillipino cabin boys for that in the merchant navy

So the lucky bugger might have a Philipino bloke sucking him off rather than him sucking off the Captain?