General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Speckys Tigra just ran a 9.8

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
specky tigra
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
what 60ft times does it do matey ?

1.67 60ft.
i did better 60fts at avon park so more time in car will make them better i hope
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
cosworth_cab
Never over till its over

Very Quick time, think Fastest FWD is Guy Chamberlins Honda Civic !!! could be wrong
Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cosworth_cab
Very Quick time, think Fastest FWD is Guy Chamberlins Honda Civic !!! could be wrong
Was, Specky is now faster
Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughant
Read the question,WOULD it be faster with a twin engine?I don't claim to know anything about drag racing hence why I asked.I'm just thinking that with the same,or similar specced engine in the rear it would help with traction and possibly 600+ bhp should overcome the extra weight of the engine /box set up.

As the cars used primarily/exclusively for 1/4 mile times,it may not require the same amount of engineering as if it were to be used as a track car say.

Im throwing some ideas into the guy,not giving advice.it's an achievement to get that power/times with major tuners behind you,let alone doing it all yourself.

If this guy was given some financial backing perhaps he could produce something even better than his current beast?

In fact,your clearly not short of a few quid,I reckon you could sponsor his progress to the next level?

He could even borrow the engine out of that red fiat cabriolet in your sig?
Before I call anyone dumb....

Would it be fwd anymore if it had two engines ?

As for the parachute. Take a look at the Lambo video as to how effective chutes can be.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cosworth_cab

9.91 @149 was his best time.

Specky is on top now!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Heard about this at work this morning! Congrats Mr Speck!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Ginge
www.virtualseason.net

Originally Posted by timrud
Speak to Rod/Mark I saw them post recently about when they were thinking of putting a parachute on rods.
Is this to help it back to earth after it taking off with the inflation of Rods ego?

Ginge
Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 AM
specky tigra

found this today a side view of the run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ8a4wdwQdI
Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Before I call anyone dumb....

Would it be fwd anymore if it had two engines ?

As for the parachute. Take a look at the Lambo video as to how effective chutes can be.
I'm not really sure whether to embarrass either of us by answering that but I simply asked,would the car be any FASTER?

Looking at what chips posted above,the 4wd boys aren't as competitive as rwd but I was just thinking with double the horses,twice the traction albeit significantly more weight,COULD that be the route forward?

After all,if he's the fwd champion,then where next?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 AM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just because hes now fwd champion why would he stop? Personal progression may say that he now wants to get in the low 9s instead of high, then move onto 8s.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Just because hes now fwd champion why would he stop? Personal progression may say that he now wants to get in the low 9s instead of high, then move onto 8s.
Sure,I get that totally but a few people are missing the point I'm trying to make,WOULD it be any faster twin engined?is the car competitive enough to be THE fastest car out there?as I said,I'm no drag racer which is why I asked a QUESTION!!!which so far has only led to shitty answers really,it's not like I'm asking would the car go faster if it had a bigger Bodykit on it!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If it had twin engines and they worked well together yes it would get faster of course, however doing so is something specky has utterly no experience of and would no doubt take many years to get right.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Chip

I'm not really sure whether to embarrass either of us by answering that but I simply asked,would the car be any FASTER?

Looking at what chips posted above,the 4wd boys aren't as competitive as rwd but I was just thinking with double the horses,twice the traction albeit significantly more weight,COULD that be the route forward?

After all,if he's the fwd champion,then where next?
4wd boys arent as quick as fwd either if you are talking about the worlds fastest.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 AM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Twin engine does not mean 4wd like you think it does. It is more like 2 x FWD.

I have been in that twin engined Nova. Whilst it was fast (both engines running 300bhp+) it would not do a 9.8 down the strip despite the fact it has the same power as Speckys tigra.

Changing gear was not ideal (sure that could be sorted), loads of extra weight, and it was fookin hot inside
Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thankyou chip/timrud,that's all I was asking!!!

Talk about going round the fucking houses!!!!

Tim,do you reckon the nova would have been much quicker with big power motors or does that just all get lost in wheelspin?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Chip

I reckon that with the gearchange issues sorted that twin engined nova would absolutely piss its way into the 9s if the rear engine was the same sort of spec as speckys or my old c20let, it was let down by nowhere near enough power to make use of the rear end grip.

If specky wanted to be really quick, putting his engine in a vx220 would make a lot of sense IMHO
Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chip
I reckon that with the gearchange issues sorted that twin engined nova would absolutely piss its way into the 9s if the rear engine was the same sort of spec as speckys or my old c20let, it was let down by nowhere near enough power to make use of the rear end grip.

If specky wanted to be really quick, putting his engine in a vx220 would make a lot of sense IMHO

This may sound a bit daft in a mad scientist type of way,but if the rear engine ran a strong auto box,would it improve or worsen(spelling) things?I'm thinking as you must lose sometime in the gearchange,if the pressure setting in the autobox could be set to complement the manual box,ie drive to the rear wheels while the front box is changing gear could assist things,or am I just talking arse!!!!!!

I know the Yankee boys like their autoboxes and seem to get good times,although they do run a million horsepower!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Chip

Yes mate, auto box at one end (or both) is without a doubt the way to go.

In fact if specky wants to see 8s, then a fwd auto box is the best first step towards getting them I suspect!

Thats exactly what I suggest that Mike with the twin engined mini do last year, and he is just in the process of getting it working properly now.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:18 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes mate, auto box at one end (or both) is without a doubt the way to go.

In fact if specky wants to see 8s, then a fwd auto box is the best first step towards getting them I suspect!

Thats exactly what I suggest that Mike with the twin engined mini do last year, and he is just in the process of getting it working properly now.

I'm not as stupid as I first thought then!!!

Is there much out there autowise to cope with 600bhp fwd though?

Another thing I thought of was the dsg box from the vw/Audi range as it's supposed to make a huge difference to the standard 1.8t vw in terms of drivability.

No idea of strengths/fitment etc.

My mate had a tuned up dsg golf which looked ridiculous in the vids i saw of it but unfortunately he wrapped it round a lamppost!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think the DSG box can handle that much power tbh, I knew someone who ran a Mk2 Golf with a R32 engine and DSG in it and it was bloody fast for what it was.

I think with some gas and slicks he cracked a 11 from it but thats not a 8, nor was it anywhere near 600hp

Manual box is IMO fine, just the only one the vauxhall boys are left to use doesn't have ideal ratios and getting one made that does wont be cheap, Elite are doing a kit but wether that can stand up to heavy launches with I expect 700+hp is a unknown, I wouldn't want to be the guinea pid unless they were willing to sponsor Specky.

There is a guy on Vauxsport, Chip will know who I mean that runs a 4 speed version of the Vauxhall F28 and I believe he may be in the 8's with a Mk2 Astra in South Africa or something.

The civic boys are FAST abroad, really fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KO3e...eature=related
Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

I didn't think specky was on an f28 Jon?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by MD Cos
I didn't think specky was on an f28 Jon?
as far as im aware he moved onto an f23 and then back again.

Jonboy, yeah I know who you mean with the 8 second mk2 astra, thats on a different level again.

The uk is a LONG way behind, if you look at how simple and relatively cheap speckys car is, it shows how little anyone else is really trying that its the quickest car in the country, elsewhere it wouldnt be anything special at all.

Its just not something we in the uk seem to do well.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Chip

I'm not as stupid as I first thought then!!!

Is there much out there autowise to cope with 600bhp fwd though?
Yes, if you have the pockets for it the yanks will sell you a fwd auto box that will do 0-200 in 7 seconds with 1400bhp and still be acceptably reliable
Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes, if you have the pockets for it the yanks will sell you a fwd auto box that will do 0-200 in 7 seconds with 1400bhp and still be acceptably reliable
Wow!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Shonky
V6 Ka of Love

This 1000hp Ecotec had a 4 speed auto
Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM
AustenW
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great result Specky, Andy is well pissed LOL
Old 02-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by AustenW
Great result Specky, Andy is well pissed LOL

Old 02-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

To be honest though specky,

to be on this forum, you're supposed to give it tons of power, not set it up properly, moan when you can only manage 14's/13's and then give up altogether! (not speaking for everyone, but it seems the case with most big power fwd fords)

one day we'll get a fwd ford that performs
Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM
szabyk RST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by MD Cos
To be honest though specky,

to be on this forum, you're supposed to give it tons of power, not set it up properly, moan when you can only manage 14's/13's and then give up altogether! (not speaking for everyone, but it seems the case with most big power fwd fords)

one day we'll get a fwd ford that performs
I'm here

(True, I am not fast enough..)
Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Switching to an auto will make you faster. But then that is expected.

The challenge at present is more the fastest manual in the UK. To do it with an auto will be seen as less of an achievement.

As for Elite....I know one person with a custom gearset and he's had loads of problems.

Although trying to get an auto to work, will also be a very expensive R&D route. Chances of anything working straight out of the box, is very slim.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Originally Posted by szabyk RST
I'm here

(True, I am not fast enough..)
lol, i didn't say all fwd fords, just seems the case with most, hence why we don't have a team for totb anymore. when other teams started getting into the low 12's and 11's, most of the ford lot thought 'sod it, we'll never be that fast' and gave up.

Shame really, specky has proved that you don't need to go on a mad spending spree to get results. Sure he's spent a bit on developing it over the years, but compared to some other cars getting similar results, it's cheap!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Luca
Lukesville

So true....

There is a few of us who are starting though and improving every visit to Pod.

High 12s at beginning of year down to low 12s.... lets see what next year brings.

But fuck trying to compete with Specky - that car is just MENTALLY FAST!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
QplateRST!
1/4 mile beasty!!!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's are 60fts that let us ford boys down and the fact we don't have any fwd cars around the 550 bhp doing 1/4 miles Lucas car will run 11s in the near future as will some others we are just a bit behind in the fwd scene bur we are advancing slowly!

I own a saxo vts as my daily driver runs 2.0 60fts at pod where as my fiesta I can only manage a 2.1 60ft

think we need some tips from the vauxhall and Honda boys lol
Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

to be honest, they're not bad 60ft times for road tyres! you'll do well to get much under 2 secs unless you go pretty wide, or swap out for slicks. you may be able to trim it down a little by messing with suspension though.

have you done much weight loss wise? i can't speak for speckys car, but i know gaz'd's car is pretty much stripped of anything thats not needed, with holes added anywhere thats not important (thats the mid 11 purple corsa).
Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 PM
specky tigra

Originally Posted by Luca
So true....

There is a few of us who are starting though and improving every visit to Pod.

High 12s at beginning of year down to low 12s.... lets see what next year brings.

But fuck trying to compete with Specky - that car is just MENTALLY FAST!

its not thats fast mate. remember its simple and relatively cheap to do what i have done..
a couple of grand will get you a nine sec car just ask chip how to do it
Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 PM
oriurbo

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Believe me, I accept the point about the gains in power needed to improve upon times being exponential. It's the same with top speed, which I do happen to have some knowledge of. Massive gains in power are needed for an extra 1-2mph.

However, my point is that if you are saying that there is a world of difference between a 9.2 and 9.8, then it just makes a 10.2 sound MUCH less impressive and the FWD Ford boys best times of high 11's just seem positively snail-paced. Similarly, the chances of an already nigh-on 1000bhp 9.2 second car ever breaking into the 8's as highly unlikely.

It's all academic though, well done Specky.
What fwd ford runs 11's ??????
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 PM
wrcjuha
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by oriurbo
What fwd ford runs 11's ??????

I suggest you read the whole thread properly, or maybe just this page you have posted on. There is a FWD Ford that has run 9's
Old 02-11-2010, 10:31 PM
oriurbo

Angry

Originally Posted by wrcjuha
I suggest you read the whole thread properly, or maybe just this page you have posted on. There is a FWD Ford that has run 9's
ok stroppy i only asked i do apologise i must have missed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
wrcjuha
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by oriurbo
ok stroppy i only asked i do apologise i must have missed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
No strop here pal, I just didn't want you to think 12.7 was quick compared to the aforementioned fwd Ford, that's all
Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by specky tigra
1.67 60ft.
i did better 60fts at avon park so more time in car will make them better i hope
awesome 60ft well done. was i in front of you at pod on 24th in my grey skyline ? if i see you at pod next year be good to have a look around your car if its ok matey

Quick Reply: Speckys Tigra just ran a 9.8