General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

engine air lock maybe? (evo friend)

Search this Thread

Old 23-10-2010, 11:13 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default engine air lock maybe? (evo friend)

Hi i want to know if the above could cause a seriously lack of oil pressure or even oil flow?

cut a long story short , a friend of mine is at the stage of a newly fitted turbo that needs the nessesary routine of cranking the engine over and awaiting to see the oil flow from the oil feed to turbo pipe (not connected) prior to fitting . We,ve tried a fair few times cranking for say 10 seconds a time with absolutely no sign of the oil coming out.

Wanted to also get to the pressure switch but had trouble locating it but the oil pressure dashboard light stays on , suggesting no oil there either

I have been thinking it must be the engine at fault but have heard about an airlock preventing the flow , was even suggested to try un doing the oil filter slightly releasing the lock , does this seem a good possibility or is that just being a bit too hopefull ?

i,ll also add ,the previous turbo shaft failed in a snapped kinda 2 piece job oil starvation may of done this or helped this i presume ?

maybe the oil feed was never working correctly at all is now our question

any suggestions welcome

car is an evo 8 fq 320 mr job (sorry)
thanks

mike

Last edited by opposite lock; 23-10-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 23-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by opposite lock
Hi i want to know if the above could cause a seriously lack of oil pressure or even oil flow?

cut a long story short , a friend of mine is at the stage of a newly fitted turbo that needs the nessesary routine of cranking the engine over and awaiting to see the oil flow from the oil feed to turbo pipe (not connected) prior to fitting . We,ve tried a fair few times cranking for say 10 seconds a time with absolutely no sign of the oil coming out.

Wanted to also get to the pressure switch but had trouble locating it but the oil pressure dashboard light stays on , suggesting no oil there either

I have been thinking it must be the engine at fault but have heard about an airlock preventing the flow , was even suggested to try un doing the oil filter slightly releasing the lock , does this seem a good possibility or is that just being a bit too hopefull ?

i,ll also add ,the previous turbo shaft failed in a snapped kinda 2 piece job oil starvation may of done this or helped this i presume ?

maybe the oil feed was never working correctly at all is now our question

any suggestions welcome

car is an evo 8 fq 320 mr job (sorry)
thanks

mike
Not 100% but sounds like its got an oil pump problem or at least a blockage to the oil feed..
Take an oil presure reading from somewhere else of the block..

cheers danny
Old 24-10-2010, 12:12 AM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

cheers danny , we did talk about a possible pump failure or blockage in the oil feed , being that the light on the dash is still on seems to suggest its not a blockage in the oil feed line/gallery , of course i maybe wrong though here

This is what got me thinking that maybe an airlock could prevent even the oil pressure reaching the switch just like a pump failure may do . Difficult one . I,ll look to see where a pressure test can be taken from , really seems as theres fook all room behind on these

cheers for the input

mike
Old 24-10-2010, 03:25 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

never herd of an air lock in an oil system and u dont have to crank it over and wait for oil to come out the oil feed as its pretty much instant anyway! must have a oil supply to the turbo fault have u put a gauge to the block to see what presure the pump is giveing!
Old 24-10-2010, 08:46 AM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You 'should' crank it over to get oil pressure from the feed pipe after fitting a new turbo...

A) for this exact reason, no oil coming out the pipe
B) if the feed pipe is blocked, how else would you know until the turbo's wrecked
C) to make sure there is no swarf and fresh oil coming through
D) to make sure there is a good quantity

and i'm sure there are probably a couple more reasons..

Opposite lock: I've had this with new engines not picking up oil to begin with, maybe try forcing compressed air down the dipstick tube and blocking all other breathers to try force the pickup to lift oil, it does sound like there is either a blockage or the oil pumps shat itself.

when cranking, can you see any oil coming into the head? maybe remove cam cover to check.
Old 24-10-2010, 09:10 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
You 'should' crank it over to get oil pressure from the feed pipe after fitting a new turbo...

A) for this exact reason, no oil coming out the pipe
B) if the feed pipe is blocked, how else would you know until the turbo's wrecked
C) to make sure there is no swarf and fresh oil coming through
D) to make sure there is a good quantity

and i'm sure there are probably a couple more reasons..

Opposite lock: I've had this with new engines not picking up oil to begin with, maybe try forcing compressed air down the dipstick tube and blocking all other breathers to try force the pickup to lift oil, it does sound like there is either a blockage or the oil pumps shat itself.

when cranking, can you see any oil coming into the head? maybe remove cam cover to check.
sounds a bit messy to me lol and ive changed more than my fair share of turbos as a lorry mechanic over the years and if u know what your looking at u will be able to tell when u take the old turbo off if its not getting any oil then u can investigate from there
Old 24-10-2010, 09:15 AM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've also changed a load of turbo's, and know how expensive they can be not to check, even if you know what caused the failure....if you or your company can afford not to check, fair enough I just like knowing when your scratching your head as to why the one you just fitted an hour ago failed.
Old 24-10-2010, 09:34 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
I've also changed a load of turbo's, and know how expensive they can be not to check, even if you know what caused the failure....if you or your company can afford not to check, fair enough I just like knowing when your scratching your head as to why the one you just fitted an hour ago failed.

+1,takes five minutes to check.used to take the coil lead off on the rst and get someone to crank it over,no hardship whatsoever.

To the o/p.can't say I've ever heard of an oil airlock in a car but it's certainly possible in hydraulic applications so can't be ruled out although simply removing the oil cap should vent any pressure built up as the pump doesnt feed the head or block independently?
Old 24-10-2010, 12:04 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

afternoon guys, thanks for the suggestions

We haven,t tried testing the oil pressure on the block yet and looking through the filler cap on rc its very hard to tell if oil is coming up into the head . We,ll take the rc off and have a better look on monday , as you look in ,there is oil but its probably the previous oil . Not sure . We have had cap off whilst cranking too! no joy

Yes, we wanted to do things 'correctly ' as much as we could. I,d of been a knob to suggest to hook it up n drive off especially as there is no oil WHATSOEVER feeding the unit.

appreciate the suggestions , definately gonna try pressurising the crankcase aswell and find out if this engine isn,t toast ,

re oilpump failure - rebuild time or could it be a case of replace?
many thanks
Mike
Old 24-10-2010, 01:32 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it might be pretty messy. but can you take the oil filter off.. and crank it over for a little bit to see if it puts oil out of there... if not then the oil pumps is either 'dry' or fooked?

as the oil filter is usually the first place the oil goes after the pump.?
Old 24-10-2010, 02:09 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

if the oil light in the car is not going out after cranking it over a few times then your getting NO oil pressure. i have heard of oil pumps sometimes needing priming when new but if its the same pump thats been in the car and used for miles then i'd say the pump has failed, unless the car has stood for ages and it requires priming.

this may seem a silly question but is there definately oil in the engine?? topped upto max??

EDIT. you may be better off asking on the evo forums as they'll hopefully know of any oil pump problems and if they need priming and how to prime them.
Old 24-10-2010, 04:14 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

yes car has stood for around 3-4 months . I have joined the mlr forum just to help along my mate on there , the pump priming seems quite a likely candidate

mike