General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Dehumidifiers?

Search this Thread

Old 21-10-2010, 09:51 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dehumidifiers?

Now its getting cold cold cold.... the heating is on. But fucking hell, condensation in the bedroom is quite bad (windows) in the morning!

They are proper wooden casement windows and we've just had them refurbed/painted and now pools of water are collecting and I dont want all the new paint ruined.

Does anyone use a dehumidifier in their bedroom?

any recommendations?

they are all ugly fuckers from what I can find.. apart from perhaps this one

http://www.airandwatercentre.com/bon...oogle-products

Last edited by DaveEscos; 21-10-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 21-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They also make a shitload of noise mate, like having a crap fridge in your bedroom. Also, they use an utter fuckload of electric.....
Old 21-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

i always thought (and in my new place i get it) it was just the window seals that caused this?
Old 21-10-2010, 09:55 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...thier-car.html

might be of interest
Old 21-10-2010, 10:02 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Cool, those small ones linked above.. prob wont be man enough to deal with a bedroom with two people humidifying the rooom, in the winter though!?
Old 21-10-2010, 10:04 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

The proper way of doing would be to fit windows that have a trickle vent in them but as i know nothing about wooden casement windows I cant say for sure if you could go that route.

Size of the dehumidifier you need depends on your bedroom activity
Old 21-10-2010, 10:11 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Rich, yes a set of our windows have a trickle vent installed... but at the rear of the house upstairs.

Won't be effective in the bedroom as we're currently leaving the top window open slightly (similar if not more airflow than a window vent) and still wake up to soaking windows.

Dehumidifier for the winter deffo the way to go imo

Trending Topics

Old 21-10-2010, 10:17 AM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave,

Are the windows double glazed, and do you sleep with the bedroom door open or closed?

Temperature difference and inadequate venitlation are the causes of most condensation problems within a dwelling...improve those two and you should eliminate your problem....
Old 21-10-2010, 10:20 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Hi Ian, No the windows are not double glazed. We sleep with the bedroom door closed.

We leave the smaller window open at night.. but now its close to winter.. not really viable to leave windows open.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:23 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

Dehumidifier it is then mate. It will be like anything else your ears and brain need to get used too as a background noise whilst you try and get to sleep.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very topical. We've just bought a dehumidifier as we have a bit of trouble to condensation and damp on the ceilings.

Our windows are double-glazed, with trickle vents (most are closed this time of year, but not all as I don't like to wave goodbye to our heat as the place is difficult enough to keep warm as it is) and we have cavity wall insulation, but we still get more damp than I would like. We have an 'Owl' energy monitor and it measures temperature/humidity too. Our bungalow sits at around 60-65%, creeping to 70% when there is washing hanging around the place being dried. Apparently 40% is a more acceptable level. They do wonders for drying washing too, so they say.

We bought an Ebac 2650e, it's in the price ball-park of that one you posted Dave, Ł175 from Argos. OK, so its not quite so nice looking, but it really does look OK. It gets VERY good reviews, which was mainly what we went for. We only got it last night and still need to have a play around with it, but I will let you know how we get on.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:42 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Very topical. We've just bought a dehumidifier as we have a bit of trouble to condensation and damp on the ceilings.

Our windows are double-glazed, with trickle vents (most are closed this time of year, but not all as I don't like to wave goodbye to our heat as the place is difficult enough to keep warm as it is) and we have cavity wall insulation, but we still get more damp than I would like. We have an 'Owl' energy monitor and it measures temperature/humidity too. Our bungalow sits at around 60-65%, creeping to 70% when there is washing hanging around the place being dried. Apparently 40% is a more acceptable level. They do wonders for drying washing too, so they say.

We bought an Ebac 2650e, it's in the price ball-park of that one you posted Dave, Ł175 from Argos. OK, so its not quite so nice looking, but it really does look OK. It gets VERY good reviews, which was mainly what we went for. We only got it last night and still need to have a play around with it, but I will let you know how we get on.

Christian, UNCANNY.. ive just been through all the reviews for that particular model on the argos site. I thought it looked pony, but the reviews are swaying me! Pretty flawless feedback.

Pls let me know how you get on with it.. ill probably pick one up at the weekend.

I was thinking of putting it in the upstairs halway and seeing if it can do the whole house...... give or take a few rooms

keep me informed pls mate
Old 21-10-2010, 10:50 AM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll stuggle to prevent condensation on single glazing...opening the door whilst you sleep will let give you more air changes and better ventilation ideally you need to cross flow the air through the room but the temperature diff on the window will still be high and therefore still generate condensation.

If you left the heating on a low setting through the night, opened the bedroom door and let's say installed a small vent in the ceiling, through the loft into a soffitt vent that might eliviate the problem.

A de-humifier will help but in these days of energy effciency i would always try other options...

I have seen numerous solutions from substances/products on the glass to sill heating, all generally mask the problem and involve you having to power, wipe or empty something, if you can cure the issue without doing any of the above it is always my preferred route...
Old 21-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
Christian, UNCANNY.. ive just been through all the reviews for that particular model on the argos site. I thought it looked pony, but the reviews are swaying me! Pretty flawless feedback.

Pls let me know how you get on with it.. ill probably pick one up at the weekend.

I was thinking of putting it in the upstairs halway and seeing if it can do the whole house...... give or take a few rooms

keep me informed pls mate
It doesn't look that bad in real life to be honest. It is quite big, standing almost thigh-high and is quite heavy to move. The noise isn't that bad though, we left it on all night, on Auto, just outside our bedroom door and weren't bothered by it atall. It collected half a tank of water overnight, but we still had lots of condensation this morning. I'm wondering if it needs a week or two of running it and being patient, to initially dry the house out, then it should be able to keep on top of it.

I'll have more of a play this evening and let you know how we go.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

Something I was going to look into when work dies down a bit, seems now we're cranking the heating on, we're getting the same.....
Old 21-10-2010, 10:59 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by ian sibbert
You'll stuggle to prevent condensation on single glazing...opening the door whilst you sleep will let give you more air changes and better ventilation ideally you need to cross flow the air through the room but the temperature diff on the window will still be high and therefore still generate condensation.

If you left the heating on a low setting through the night, opened the bedroom door and let's say installed a small vent in the ceiling, through the loft into a soffitt vent that might eliviate the problem.

A de-humifier will help but in these days of energy effciency i would always try other options...

I have seen numerous solutions from substances/products on the glass to sill heating, all generally mask the problem and involve you having to power, wipe or empty something, if you can cure the issue without doing any of the above it is always my preferred route...

Ian, it's an 18th century cottage.. out in the country. All ideas of energy efficiency are out of the window (scuse pun) im afraid! I think the dehumidier route for the winter months is the way to go. Removing the moisture must be a good thing rather than masking problems. I was also told that keeping the doors shut is the preferred method to help reduce condensation.

C&B, yep, from reading up on the subject, I think the machine needs time to settle in and get working. Will be interesting to see if it helps to heat the house easier too.

All this domesticity is making me feel ooooooooold!
Old 21-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

All this domesticity is making me feel ooooooooold!
That's probably 'cos you are mate!

As a stop gap measure you can buy small absorbent pads with sticky 'wings' to stick round your window. They're called Bodyform I think......
Old 21-10-2010, 11:11 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Mal.
That's probably 'cos you are mate!

As a stop gap measure you can buy small absorbent pads with sticky 'wings' to stick round your window. They're called Bodyform I think......

Oh yeah I know the ones.... with the red sticky glue already applied yeah??
Old 21-10-2010, 11:40 AM
furqall
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i bought a meaco 10 litre xdry dehumidifier from ebay for about Ł145 and it works wonders, i have a 2 bed flat and im shocked of the amount of water it sucks up and it kicks out warm air which is a bonus!!
Old 21-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Oh yeah I know the ones.... with the red sticky glue already applied yeah??
Nice!
Old 21-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I also had an ebac 2650e in my old flat did the job nicely.
As Christian says - not too noisy. I thought the auto function was pretty good too... once it's "learned" the conditions it only switches on when required which is definitely a bonus on the electricity bill.

Got to say though, i woudl have thought having the door open would reduce the condensation because you've got more air to carry the moisture, rather than having 2 people breathing/sleeping/shagging in a relatively small volume of gas?

Last edited by Markb_s1; 21-10-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 21-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Our bedroom and bathroom are practically at opposite ends of the bungalow, yet our bedroom seems to collect more condensation when someone has had a shower. Thats even with a double inlet 6" inline extraction system and a window open in the bathroom when the shower is in use.

I can see how it will be kinda satisfying to empty all that water down the drain that would otherwise be running down the walls/windows. It's handy that we can monitor the performance on our energy meter too.
Old 23-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Dave, as I mentioned before, a 'normal' level of humidity for our bungalow is around 60%. Last night we hung an airer of washing in our front room, put the Dehumidifier in there, pulled the door too and left it for the night. In the morning, the room was sitting at 52% humidity, tank almost full on the Dehumidifier and the washing was almost dry. Better still, there wasn't even a drop of condensation on the windows.

The bungalow is already starting to 'feel' drier.

Hope this helps.
Old 23-10-2010, 05:17 PM
fridgeman
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

look at the little delongie [mind the spelling]there small quite and economical,theese things have been part of my job for 20 years and i personaly think there brilliant,thats all makes,used to be the ebac repair engineer asswell.even the big ones only use the same compressor as a chest freezer,the small ones same as a fridge.often blamed for useing a lot of eletric but there not that bad at all.i run one on a timer for 12hrs a day in the garage to keep the car right.

try running it downstairs flat out for the first week to dry the house out,it often sorts the upstairs out asswell without the background noise.
Old 23-10-2010, 06:41 PM
paddyrs

i bought one a few years back when i lived with mum and dad and the roof leaked a bit over my bed room . my windows were the same as urs with water i get a wee dehumidifier holds 4 liters. the first time i used it i had to empty it 3 times in 24 hours the room had a lot of damp anyway it worked with me and the miss in there fine
Old 23-10-2010, 08:43 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Cheers all

C&B, I picked the ebac up today and am about to plug it in downstairs and let it do its thing for a while on auto mode, cheers for the feedback on yours so far
Old 23-10-2010, 09:21 PM
paddyrs

when i got mine it said i had to let it sit for so long before turning on just see what urs says
Old 23-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by paddyrs
when i got mine it said i had to let it sit for so long before turning on just see what urs says
The Ebac says 2 hours.
Old 23-10-2010, 09:45 PM
paddyrs

yep mine was some thing like that
Old 24-10-2010, 06:54 PM
fridgeman
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

that only aplies if its been on its side ,! think car engine and oil laying in the wrong place,stick it as close as poss to the bottom of the stairs, run it flat out,tipicley at light bulb [old type,120watt] for a week,then learne how to use it to your advantage,just like a women.