General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

oiltemp on FRS-09

Search this Thread

Old 19-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Cossiebros
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oiltemp on FRS-09

Hi all,

I bought a new Focus RS last year and i love it, but lately i've been having a small problem with it wich the dealer can't solve.

Sometimes the oil-temp gauge stays cold, while the coolant temp is normal. Even after driving 30min.
This continues for a few days and then suddenly works fine again, in some cases followed by an engine warning light.
The problem can be gone for months, or happen twice a week.

I found out last week that the fan is constantly on (even at cold start), when the problem occurs and it seems like the engine is not very warm when driven normally (I can touch the head after driven for 30 min.)

The mecanic told me te FRS doesn't have a separate oil-temp sensor, and this value is calculated, so it can't be something simpel as that. Anybody know if this is true?

The only error-code they get, is a comm. fault, his laptop doesn't give a solution for it. (so basically they can't do a thing )

Anybody got an idea where to look?

And how can it be the coolant gauge is normal, but the fan is on the whole time and the block is cold (estimated 40-50deg.C)?

Also, does anybody know if my car has a separate oil-cooler?

Thanks, Bas
Old 19-10-2010, 10:24 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its a 09 plate, its under warranty take it to the garage and demand they fix it? why is it your responsibility to find out the problem?
Old 19-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Yeh i was gonna say the same. Its still under warrenty so let them sort it.
Old 19-10-2010, 10:35 AM
s2turbsZVH
Will it ever end !!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R5FORD
its a 09 plate, its under warranty take it to the garage and demand they fix it? why is it your responsibility to find out the problem?
+1 or as an alternative take it to another main dealer and let them have a go at solving the problem - one main dealer can be a million times worse than another.

As for telling you they dont know what is wrong and go away is a joke - go elsewhere is my suggestion

09 plate = still in warranty = get main dealer to worry about it.

Remember - you can go to any Ford main dealer to rectify problems not just the one that sold you the motor.

Last edited by s2turbsZVH; 19-10-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 19-10-2010, 12:27 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the oil cooler is on the back of the sump
Old 19-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Cossiebros

Yes, it is under warranty.
I took it to 2 different main dealers already and both say the same.

I know it's not my problem or responsibility, but was hoping someone on here has some knowledge of the Electronics.
There are more people on here with a new RS, so someone might have had the same problem and a solution and save me a lot of time.

I’m also curious why the oil-temp gauge doesn’t seem to have it’s own sensor. Kind of useless then, I would think?

Thanks, Bas
Old 19-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Cossiebros

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
the oil cooler is on the back of the sump
Thanks
Old 19-10-2010, 01:30 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Phone ford themselfs & kick up a stink tell them if the car cant be fixed when a fault is recognised you want a buy back! I work for a bmw dealer & when customers contact bmw direct about a problem its not long in being sorted.
Old 19-10-2010, 06:49 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fan constantly means a MAJOR fault has been logged, comms issue means the compy and ecu are ignoring each other, as not communicating, may be ecu fault, may be just a broken wire, or anything in between, defo get on the phone to ford technical if it's running very cold all the time it will not be doing it any good, try and coax a loan car from the company while they look at yours, then only give back the loan car when your car is finally fixed, or contact watchdog, auto express or similar if still no joy.
tabetha
Old 19-10-2010, 07:38 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

First try another dealer, and ask for it to be looked at, ask for a courtesy car and say you don't want it back until fixed.

If the dealer is unhelpful/can't fix it then call ford customer services, number is in the handbook.

I can't think off the top of my head any rs specific concerns, however you could have an aircon fault which is why the fan is constantly running.
Old 20-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Cossiebros

Originally Posted by tabetha
Fan constantly means a MAJOR fault has been logged, comms issue means the compy and ecu are ignoring each other, as not communicating, may be ecu fault, may be just a broken wire, or anything in between, defo get on the phone to ford technical if it's running very cold all the time it will not be doing it any good, try and coax a loan car from the company while they look at yours, then only give back the loan car when your car is finally fixed, or contact watchdog, auto express or similar if still no joy.
tabetha
Thanks for the info.

The car will be going back to the dealer next week, so fingers crossed they fix it this time.
The trouble is the fault is not constantly there, so already twice i've picked up the car and me/they thought they fixed it, only to have the same problem a few weeks later!

Fan constantly means a MAJOR fault has been logged - Ok, so some form of safety feature then. Good info this.
may be just a broken wire - this or a faulty connector is what they suspect now.

I had a chat with the manager and they will suply a loan car for the time my car is there, so no problems there.

I will keep you posted.
Regards, Bas
Old 20-10-2010, 10:32 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

You sure the air con isn't on, or the fan selector isn't set to windscreen? I know on the early focus's, this will automatically turn the a/c, thus the fans on.

But as you say, it should have an oil temperature. My ST gets to about 1/4 on the coolant temp gauge before the oil temperature starts to move, and it is at full temperature within 10 mins of driving.