General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Jim's European breakdown Drama - UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 17-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking maybe the knock was more pronounced on thick cold oil than it would have been on thin warm oil.

I like the fact your saying the BMW talked shit saying it needed a new engine, that may well be the case. Turns out, a 2.5k rebuild later they were correct though.
Old 17-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Ginge !
and i wont bother commenting on the " usually the problem is the big ends"
What was the problem then? One thing i'm sure on it's not a sticking tappet.
Old 17-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Escy
Thinking maybe the knock was more pronounced on thick cold oil than it would have been on thin warm oil.

I like the fact your saying the BMW talked shit saying it needed a new engine, that may well be the case. Turns out, a 2.5k rebuild later they were correct though.
well as it was returned with a new problem,,,, yes they was right

the downside is the problem was not the same as went in there,,,,, could just be bad luck that his engine failed after it cooled down which is true,,,,,, but the issue was the diagnosis was a little vauge,,,,,, they could have said it on the phone and saved being towed there,,,,, maybe if we sent them a link on youtube perhaps

they didnt say " suspected big ends failed, will require new short motor and ancilleries" is just reads " requires new engine "

my subaru requres a new gearbox/overhaul,,,,, REASON is it has no third gear,,,,,, suspected teeth on syncros stripped or possible gears ( also a comon fault might i add) but will require a strip down to confirn

i prefered that diagnosis than the alernative " its fucked mate,,,,, just look at it and listen,,,,, fucked , just get a new box mate "
Old 17-10-2010, 04:21 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Escy

you seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that it cost Ł2500 to rebuild jims fucked engine, it didn't, jim spent that on getting a second hand engine, buying new parts and paying someone to do all that for him as well as putting it into his car

so now you know that.....
Old 17-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, its really not worth arguine with escy, he clearly knows the exact state of the car at the time it was recovered and we clearly don't

anyway regardless, yes we know it's somewhat greay area, hence why the offer of a "goodwill gesture" was gratefully received and in my opinion fair... lol
Old 17-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

jim we are clearly clueless, cars with solid lifters cant have a top end rattle of any sort,... its all solid and dont move,,,,,, ANY OF IT !!!

it wasnt even a machine gun style rattle or kids toy rattle noise which could be bottom end but i know that noise SOO well id never for get that when it happend to me

1k is fuck all to companies that size, i got 1k off Bp when i put diesel in my cossie when all i wanted was them to give me back my 50 quid for fuel ( ah they was the days,,,,, 50 quid a tank !!!) paying our would admit libility SO they offered to pay to sort out the problem as a gesture of good will,,,,,, how fucking mental was that but it sorted my bank out