General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Where do I stand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:04 PM
creator
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Where do I stand?

I'm not very good with words or trying to explain things but hopefully this will make sense.but what grounds do I have as an apprentice to ask about or ask for money? The situation is that Iv been working in a garage local to me for the last year and a half to 2years and have been earning X amount of money and now iv been moved to another garage wich is 20miles away from me so 40miles traveling a day but it's still for the same company and after a quick chat today it seems I'll be earning less money and obviously will be spending alot more on fuel comutung there and back. Do I have any ground to stand on and say I still want the same amount of money I was getting at the other site? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can ask but will probably find your Ts & Cs will have a clause to the effect that they can ask you to work at another site.
No chance on the commuting money, unless they feel sorry for you.
I don't think they can cut your hourly rate but you could get less hours so end up with less cash.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for another job bud!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by creator
I'm not very good with words or trying to explain things but hopefully this will make sense.but what grounds do I have as an apprentice to ask about or ask for money? The situation is that Iv been working in a garage local to me for the last year and a half to 2years and have been earning X amount of money and now iv been moved to another garage wich is 20miles away from me so 40miles traveling a day but it's still for the same company and after a quick chat today it seems I'll be earning less money and obviously will be spending alot more on fuel comutung there and back. Do I have any ground to stand on and say I still want the same amount of money I was getting at the other site? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Unless you voluntarily asked to take lower pay or your hours have been cut due to the location change your pay should remain the same.it's not up to your employer to give you a travelling allowance but it could be something to ask for while your on the subject.

Be a little careful as it's shitty out there right now and garages can pick and choose from apprentices so if your happy there and you think there's a future then don't push too hard for a rise!!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 PM
creator

That's why I'm after advice mate as I don't want to push and loose my job as there's not a great deal out there to fall back on.but basically at the other site I was working 8 till 6 sometimes later and was also doing every Saturday.now at this new site the hours are 8:30 till 5 and that's it.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

why have you been asked to move?

if they give you a bunch of fnalle then it's more than likely they are looking to replace you with someone else but can't just fuck you off without good reason so now they are looking to get you to walk

been there done that, but the difference was that they paid for the cheapest way to get to work, which at that time was a bus pass or bus fare as it was a 1.5 hour 50p trip to work and the same back, or 20 minutes in the car, so i was getting a bit shafted, when i moved closer they changed the t&c's and i fucked off
Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by creator
That's why I'm after advice mate as I don't want to push and loose my job as there's not a great deal out there to fall back on.but basically at the other site I was working 8 till 6 sometimes later and was also doing every Saturday.now at this new site the hours are 8:30 till 5 and that's it.
Yeah,I thought as much as it would be hard to just cut your pay.tough one really,not sure how to advise you as I've just finished running a garage myself and I paid my apprentice Ł140-180 per week,but in the end he was a full time painter and all round top man!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:08 AM
creator

Dojj-the garage I was working at before was small there was only 3 mechanics now they have moved me to this other garage as one of the apprentices has fooked off so it seems like iv replaced him and its a much bigger garage with around 12 techs.and il just add it also a very large company weather that makes a difference or not?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Well, you can only ask, but in these tough times, can you afford not to have a job?

And are they the sort who will pay you out for the extra travel or are they just making up the numbers for the best price?

I'd hate to be in your shoes as it's a shit position to be I , but will they give you a big certificate that's a tually recognised by everyone at the end of your time served?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Talk to your manager and explain your situation.

Charlie
Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 AM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

It all depends on your contract really. If your contract says that are based at the original address then that is your permanent place of work and any additional miles to another can be claimed from the company if the change is only temporary. If the change is permanent and your contract states you are based at the original, then you can either refuse the request or ask for a raise to cover the additional travel costs.

By law they have to then either give you the raise or compensate you in some other way, if you refuse to move and they sack you then you can take them to court for unfair dismissal.

As to lowering your wages then unless the job has changed considerably, ie less hours, diffrent work etc then they should not be lowering your salary.

Best thing to do would be to speak to your manager and HR department or failing that the local Citizen's Advice Bureau.
Old 13-10-2010, 09:36 PM
creator

Dojj-no I can't afford not to have a job mate.and no I wouldn't of thought they would want to pay any extra money out at all especially to an apprentice.yes they are paying for me to go through the qualifications but any main dealer should right?but I still don't think I should be being hard done by just because I need to make up the numbers but obviously I'm not going to say anything to the managers if they could just kick me out the door as such.

Bookeyse-I will have to find my contract and have a read of it then mate.but does what you say still apply to an apprentice? I'm not to sure if there is any differences between fully qualified workmen & an apprentice.I hope that doesn't sound to stupid lol.
And the lower wages would be because iam doing a hell of a lot less hours a month so I take it I can't really do anything about it then?
Old 13-10-2010, 09:40 PM
djmillsy
Fife Radge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for us if we get moved to another garage to work we get travel time etc and paid right through buts that the bus industry
Old 13-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

As and when I have to work at another centre I get paid fuel and they allow travel time