General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

idiot drivers going straight to outside lane!

Search this Thread

Old 17-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Icurus
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just seems to be the way people drive these days, its all about themselves!

I joined the A2 coast bound from the M25 on Friday, now this slip has 2 lanes, the righthand one joins the A2 much nearer then the other lane, im in the RH one.

As im about to merge into the A2, there is one of those Retro looking Nissan things beeping its horn and having to go out into the middle lane!

WTF

Did not see it in my mirrors, guess she was in my blind spot as you merge at an angle.

Why did she not anticipate that we would both reach the same spot at the same time and either adjust her speed accordingly to avoid such a situation, or, seeing as the middle lane was empty, move into that lane, which I think is the preferable option?

Well, I guess because she is female she does not think like that?

Was day dreaming about shopping at Lakeside? as that is where she then turned off.

Maybe she thought I had seen her and would avoid the situation, but alas I could not see her, plus it's not a give way at the end of the slip road!

Another big moan is people that do not bloody accelerate up the slip road, then once they have joined they boot it away!

Last edited by Icurus; 17-10-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 17-10-2010, 02:18 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Icurus
It just seems to be the way people drive these days, its all about themselves!

I joined the A2 coast bound from the M25 on Friday, now this slip has 2 lanes, the righthand one joins the A2 much nearer then the other lane, im in the RH one.

As im about to merge into the A2, there is one of those Retro looking Nissan things beeping its horn and having to go out into the middle lane!

WTF

Did not see it in my mirrors, guess she was in my blind spot as you merge at an angle.

Why did she not anticipate that we would both reach the same spot at the same time and either adjust her speed accordingly to avoid such a situation, or, seeing as the middle lane was empty, move into that lane, which I think is the preferable option?

Well, I guess because she is female she does not think like that?

Was day dreaming about shopping at Lakeside? as that is where she then turned off.

Maybe she thought I had seen her and would avoid the situation, but alas I could not see her,
plus it's not a give way at the end of the slip road!

Another big moan is people that do not bloody accelerate up the slip road, then once they have joined they boot it away!
when you are joining the main carriageway, the slip road is a give way situation where you have to give way to traffic already on the main drag, not force yourself across to bump them up a lane

unless of course this particular slip road has a different set of rules ?
Old 17-10-2010, 02:55 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dojj is 100% right, you have to slow and give way to people already on the road, not the other way round! I suggest you check your blind spot more often too...
Old 17-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Icurus
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit hard to do in a van! Its not possible for me to look back and see whats coming up the nearside lane on that junction! I could of course wind the window down and lookout backwards, that would be ok.......

Normally thats what would happen, I can see whats what on the motorway and drive accordingly, but not at this particular junction, its not a very good design.

Give way is indicated by double hatched lines, is it not? Would be chaos if we all had to stop at the end of the slip road before joining?

When joining a motorway you usually join from a roundabout or a main road by means of a slip road. This leads to an acceleration lane. The rule here is not to interfere with the traffic already on the motorway. Make sure your speed is the same as the traffic already on the motorway. Vehicles already on the motorway usually realise you need to join the main carriageway and they try and move over to the other lane. (This is not always possible if the traffic is busy). This makes room for you to join the first lane of the motorway. Mirrors and signals must be used correctly to avoid interfering with the following traffic. Full and proper observation as you enter usually involves looking over your right shoulder as well as using your door mirrors. Don't rely on mirrors alone.
And this from the .GOV site

Driving on the motorway
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should
give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking
The above bold statement is not always easy to comply with. It is a 2 way thing though, and can be greatly helped by those already on the motorway. So maybe my situation was 70-30 against me

Now if I was in my car, I would have seen this situation developing and just floored it and be out of trouble

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069862

Last edited by Icurus; 17-10-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 17-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_bloor
warren, your driving round stoke-on-trent, what do you expect?
Originally Posted by dojj
come to southall, it will open your eyes as at least 90% of the drivers would be banned
the traffic police to do their fucking jobs rather than doing people for 51 in a 50!!

if the traffic police spent more of their time focusing on antisocial and just plain poor driving our roads would flow much better, less accidents and people would be forced to drive properly.

but it wouldnt earn so much revenue although a few law changes could be made to hand out fixed penalty notices for a range of poor driving thus making money and teaching people who drive like cunts an expensive lesson.
Originally Posted by Minirotty
Drivning around with a camera on your dash board filming?
yep so when inevitably some fucking prick crashes into me, ive got evidence to back my side of the story up as too often the police and insurers are biased against the "young driver in a performance car" and assume your at fault. and id rather not have a claim going 50-50 when its the other cunts fault for jumping a give way line, crashing into you by not looking in blind spot etc. Plus it gives the insurers less excuse to split the claim for "ease" as i would have evidence to stop them doing it.
Originally Posted by JayKay
I think the point Warren is making is that the fella in his video pulled accross 2 lanes, was going ridiculously slow and didnt have any need to be in that lane because lane 1 was empty !! Complete disregard for other road users and probably didn't use his mirrors/completely misjudged Warrens speed before he moved over !
exactly
Originally Posted by Minirotty
I am sure he also stands infornt of a mirror flicking a gun out of his arm on some sort of contraption shouting out famous film quotes.
im crazy not insane
Old 17-10-2010, 05:48 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

check out this cheeky cooont..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8STA...eature=related

normally I would say fair enough, hate people leaving huge gaps in lines of traffic becuase they cant be bothered to move up, but the gap was for a junction!!
Old 17-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

cunts like that i just wont let in regardless. they have to ram me to get in.
Old 17-10-2010, 07:26 PM
ben_frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the thing that pisses me off the most is ppl driving up the slip road at -60 you should be up to traffic speed on the slip then you will have no problem joining the motorway

alot of the time i go straight accross but for 1) i check my mirrors 2) i like to cruise at 85/90 so its not an issue

ive seen this type of thing plenty of times just over the years plenty of idots on the roads