General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

£50 fine for taking kids on holiday!!

Search this Thread

Old 29-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Joshy
Dreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a room
Old 29-09-2010, 11:48 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridgey
IMO it just shows your level of responsibility as a parent.
Nothing to do with costs or what would be missed in lessons.
Plus it sets an example for our future generations on priorities.
It tells you nothing about the level of parental responsibility though. It tells you nothing about how much 'work' the parent does with their child out of school hours, it tells you nothing about how clever the child is, and about how well they are able to cope with a bit of time off.

All it tells you is that some parents resent having to pay a fucking fortune to have a holiday in the school holidays, and that they value quality family time.
Old 29-09-2010, 11:51 AM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
All it tells you is that some parents resent having to pay a fucking fortune to have a holiday in the school holidays, and that they value quality family time.
Amen to that
Old 29-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenC
why change your post chip??
Which one, Ive edited a few after noticing spelling mistakes or cause I missed something or whatever?
Old 29-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Chip

No, it's because your mum made you leave school on Friday lunch time so you could have a long weekend at Minehead Butlins, and now you're actually retarded.
Lol, I did actually go there a couple of times when I was a kid, but only at the weekend so if I am retarded educationally in some manner I dont think that Butlins was to blame

I missed 5 days of schooling in total between school starting age and school leaving age, and that was because I was in hospital in a coma after a bike crash aged 7 whilst doing a top speed run down a hill, I had no other sickness time off or holidays in term time etc.
My mum used the argument "if you are well enough to argue about it you are well enough to go to school" if I tried to say I wasnt well enough for school
Old 29-09-2010, 12:12 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Just the one where you quoted what being means then subsequently realised you were wrong and changed.
Old 29-09-2010, 12:16 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I think i'd rather risk missing the odd week now and again for a holiday. Especially after seeing how dull going every day appears to make you. :Cry:
Old 29-09-2010, 12:28 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

My mrs is a teacher in school so she can't take time off during term time and if she does it's unpaid regardless of thr reason behind the absence but the difference between going on holiday on the friday at the end of the term and going on the Saturday is a grand.

£1300 and change if her and the kids fly out on the 22nd and returning on the 29th or nearly £2300 if she flys out on the 23rd and returns on the 30th. And that's just flights and tax and shit, if I was going along as well (can't get the time off) then that figure goes up even further.

My excuse for being apparently stupid under certain circumstances is a reslut of a small bump to my head about 20 years ago
Old 29-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Ridgey

Social standards are slipping in this country (and we all are unhappy about them), and some of the replies to this thread reconfirm my dismay at the way this country is going.
100% agree.
Old 29-09-2010, 01:15 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Social standards are slipping in this country (and we all are unhappy about them), and some of the replies to this thread reconfirm my dismay at the way this country is going.

How do you get to the conclusion that social standards are slipping by way of people taking their children out of school for annual holidays? As long as I can remember thats what people have done. So if what your saying it true, that standards are slipping, it must be a result of these new strict standards were meant to adhear to thats causing it. Its like this, I totally agree standards are slipping and for me its a result of children having shit all respect for their elders or for pretty much anyone. Reasons for this are plentyful, but I really dont think going on holiday and spending quality time as a family together is one of them.
Would also be intresting to know how many of these people jumping on the bandwagon have children of their own?! Very easy shouting from the sideline!!
Old 29-09-2010, 01:18 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

And just for chip-diddy-chip;

Ask the Editors

"Was able to" and "Have been able to"

Posted Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Comments (4)

A reader asks when to use "was able to" and when to use "have been able to."
Editor Kory Stamper explains.

Was and have been are two different tenses of the verb be. There are twelve standard tenses in English, but these examples only touch on two of them: the past tense and the present perfect tense.

The past tense(sometimes also called the simple past tense) describes action that started and ended before the time you are speaking of. Was is first person (or third person) past tense. Use it when you want to say that someone or something started (and completed) an action in the past:

I was able to fix the faucet and now it's fine.

(In this sentence, the faucet was fixed sometime before the time being spoken of).

The present perfect tense (sometimes also called the perfect tense) describes action that started before the time you are speaking of, but ends in the time you are speaking of. Have been is in the present perfect tense. Use it when you want to say that someone or something started an action in the past and finished it in the time being spoken of:

I have been able to visit them regularly.

(In this sentence, the speaker started visiting them sometime in the past and is still visiting them at the time being spoken of).

"Able to (do something)" doesn't affect the verb tense.

High-horse <--- get off of!!!
Old 29-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Chip

Congratulations, you have failed to understand the different context they used it in as well.

Mate when you're wrong you're wrong, no matter how many incorrect examples you post, what you said was:
other than been able to read and write I think its a fair assumption that not one of my GCSE's has ever come useful in my life but thats a different topic altogether.
which should be
other than being able to read and write I think its a fair assumption that not one of my GCSE's has ever come useful in my life but thats a different topic altogether.
Which is TOTALLY different to what that article is referring to.

If 11 years of attending school nearly all year (minus the time your parents yanked you out for a holiday cause education wasn't important) didnt teach you the difference, then I doubt im going to be able in a thread on PF, so its probably best if you just accept you don't grasp how it works and move on TBH.
Old 29-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Mike C
The Special One

You missed out a comma and an apostrophe there!

EDIT: and shouldn't it be "have" and not "has"?
Old 29-09-2010, 01:41 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It tells you nothing about the level of parental responsibility though. It tells you nothing about how much 'work' the parent does with their child out of school hours, it tells you nothing about how clever the child is, and about how well they are able to cope with a bit of time off.

Not just resent it some cant afford to either.

IMO People need to take a reality check if they think 1 week a year will make much of a difference to someones end GCSE results, if there in the right enviroment anyway and wanting to go far ( grade wise ) then they will.

Feel free to rip my english to bits as i only got a D
Old 29-09-2010, 01:42 PM
mk7fiesta
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

blimey, just make sure you do it next year so we can all read this bullshit again..only my opinion. but if i was in that situation i would do the same...but i now drive to my house in spain in the summer term because it is cheaper to do so..o and i would shread the letter and send it back to them....and ask what they are doing to the people who can't be bothered to show up for school each day...

Last edited by mk7fiesta; 29-09-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 29-09-2010, 01:43 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Speaking as a parent.... The fine is a fucking liberty IMO.

Blame the holiday companies taking advantage of the situation especially these days where every penny counts even more in the familiy home.

So easy to spot all those on this thread without kids...lol
Old 29-09-2010, 01:44 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

As far as I see it being refers to a human being or an existance so where does that fall into been able to read?? Ironically my english teacher, when I was their, pulled me for using being and drilled it in to me that being was used that way.
Old 29-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Chip

As far as I see it being refers to a human being or an existance so where does that fall into been able to read?? Ironically my english teacher, when I was their, pulled me for using being and drilled it in to me that being was used that way.
How you see it isn't relevant, the english langauge sees it as being different to how you do.
Old 29-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Mike C
You missed out a comma and an apostrophe there!

EDIT: and shouldn't it be "have" and not "has"?
No idea, didn't bother to proof read it.
As ive said already, I dont view forum posts as worthy of much grammatical attention providing they are readable and the only reason I picked him up on using totally the wrong word, was cause he was blathering on about how edumacated he was at the time.
Old 29-09-2010, 01:52 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Originally Posted by Chip
If 11 years of attending school nearly all year (minus the time your parents yanked you out for a holiday cause education wasn't important) didnt teach you the difference, then I doubt im going to be able in a thread on PF, so its probably best if you just accept you don't grasp how it works and move on TBH.
cause education? what caused it?

You quoted one piece of dictionary definition earlier then realised it did fuck all to prove your point and took it down. Ive posted two examples, from sources which I deem to be more knowledgable than your self, which highlight the word being to be used as an existence not as an ability to do some thing. 11 years of school taught me to listen to them that know and not those that think they know.
Old 29-09-2010, 01:54 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

the only reason I picked him up on using totally the wrong word, was cause he was blathering on about how edumacated he was at the time.
more horse shit, you started the willy waving contest and doubted my education, I mearly informed you rather than letting you presume, which you seem VERY good at.
Old 29-09-2010, 01:54 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Old 29-09-2010, 01:55 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Anyone who thinks Chip is anal and pedantic seriously underates him.

[waits for a reply concerning the subject of customer service or how he only comments on mistakes by others]
Old 29-09-2010, 01:56 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant believe you dont understand the MASSIVE difference between the two, were you perchance taken out of school by your parents on the week when they covered fucking common sense?
I'm fucking wetting myself here at that
Old 29-09-2010, 01:58 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Stephen,

I understand what you are saying and why you resent having to pay £50. 1 week of school time missed is NOT going to have ANY adverse effect on your children.

However, Chip has correctly corrected you, and for your own sanity i would just leave it at that. Do not enter into an argument or discussion with chip when he is right and you are wrong. EVER
Old 29-09-2010, 02:00 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

no chance in hell i would be paying that.id just say they were off with the flu.tell them to piss right off.what a joke.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Chip

cause education? what caused it?
"cause" is slang for "because" I was hinting that in the same way you are passing this tradition onto your kids despite the banter between us where Im saying it has harmed your education, that they also were uneducated and hence would talk about it that way whilst taking you out of education as well.

The joke probably went over your head though due to the fact you missed so much school as a child.

You quoted one piece of dictionary definition earlier then realised it did fuck all to prove your point and took it down.
Yes, exactly correct, I posted an example, then realised you still wouldnt understand it so removed it and just said instead that its not up to me to educate you.

Ive posted two examples, from sources which I deem to be more knowledgable than your self, which highlight the word being to be used as an existence not as an ability to do some thing. 11 years of school taught me to listen to them that know and not those that think they know.
Unfortunately you are reading them out of context and they are showing you only one possible use, it would appear that your ability to decide who to listen to or not is another of your failings as if you had the sense to listen to me and Dan you would have learned something instead of being in a situation where you are unable to do so.

Last edited by Chip; 29-09-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:05 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Originally Posted by stevenebm
no chance in hell i would be paying that.id just say they were off with the flu.tell them to piss right off.what a joke.
cant really use that as we informed them before hand she was going away so we could get some work for her. What gets me is that I swear theyve done it as they know we both work. If we were sponging cunts and took them on holiday for two weeks I bet we wouldnt hear a whisper. Not for one minute under the illusion that they care about her education, its more stealth tax.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:09 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

chip are you putting the mistakes in on purpose now
Old 29-09-2010, 02:09 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

The joke probably went over your head though due to the fact you missed so much school as a child.
if that's the case im glad I did, if your the outcome of a full 11 years (minus 5 days) of education I think I got away with it lightly!! Bet your fun on a night out; "sorry pal, I think you've used the wrong word, its vagina not flange"
Old 29-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by danneth
chip are you putting the mistakes in on purpose now
Yes mate, people seemed to be enjoying finding the floors so much I thought it worth adding a phew.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Chip

if that's the case im glad I did, if your the outcome of a full 11 years (minus 5 days) of education I think I got away with it lightly!!
Educationally speaking you do indeed seem to have got away lightly, on that much we agree.

Bet your fun on a night out; "sorry pal, I think you've used the wrong word, its vagina not flange"
Unless someone was doing so in the context of stating how wonderfully educated they were like yourself, I wouldnt bother to correct them mate, as there wouldnt be any humour in it, much like I havent corrected all the other mistakes in this thread or any other thread on here.
Again, you seem to be unable to grasp the concept of context.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:16 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes mate, people seemed to be enjoying finding the floors so much I thought it worth adding a phew.
lol
Old 29-09-2010, 02:16 PM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the problem with the english language, is you can find a lot of information which states english in any particular format. I mean if someone wrote the following today people would take the piss...

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

however it was penned by one of the most famous playwrites about, Good old Billy Shakespeare!

and yes my english is shocking, when I care about something I pay someone to write it for me....
Old 29-09-2010, 02:25 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Chip, your ever increasing levels of presumtion continue, unless you have my CV with you?
You mention concept of context, not once was I "stating how wonderfully educated they were", I was merely putting your failed attempt at humour combined with presumption to rest.
Anyway, im open to learning something new each day so if you can point me in the direction of someone that knows their arse from their elbow feel free to link it here so I can get educated to your supreme level.
thanks
Old 29-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Chip

Natehall, the interesting (well relatively speaking, lol) with regards to Shakespeare in particular is "where for art thou Romeo?"

Which many people these days believe to mean "Where are you Romeo?" which of course it didnt at all, it meant "Why are you Romeo?" (as opposed to anyone else with whom her love wouldnt be such a problem)

The other amusing thing is how crude much of the talk is, like for example:
Mercutio: This cannot anger him. 'Twould anger him
To raise a spirit in his mistress' circle

Which means it would anger him if you came up his mrs cunt.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Chip

Chip, your ever increasing levels of presumtion continue, unless you have my CV with you?
You mention concept of context, not once was I "stating how wonderfully educated they were", I was merely putting your failed attempt at humour combined with presumption to rest.
Anyway, im open to learning something new each day so if you can point me in the direction of someone that knows their arse from their elbow feel free to link it here so I can get educated to your supreme level.
thanks
StephenC, I know not of any source of education or knowledge whose light is so bright it would stand a chance to penetrate and fill the dark emptiness of your mind.

However you try and dress things up, you got something particuarly wrong whilst you were talking about how your education didn't suffer as a result of being repeatedly yanked out of school like you are apparently determined to do with your own wretched offspring on a frequent basis, and I felt the irony worth a mention. Instead of just take the banter for what it was and accept you were wrong, you set about trying to prove you are right, which is of course impossible, so Ive just been pointing that out to you along the way.

Last edited by Chip; 29-09-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by R4N S S
fuck it - the kids play truant these days most of the time anyway
well they will just be setting themselves up to fail at life if they are constantly truant
Originally Posted by danneth
Not just resent it some cant afford to either.
well tough shit really.

if and only if the week off has no impact on thier education because they do catch up work then fair enough, but that isnt the case all the time and many parents dont give a shit so obviously the schools cannot be seen to encourage time off during term time.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:33 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

My Mrs. is a teacher and you don't really pay for schooling, it's taken out of a tax all pay that work.
if you take the kid out of class then there is still the schooling to pay for, if the child gets nothing out of it, because they're not there then why should everyone else pay for the set aside teaching and resources for your child to waste?
simples, fine you.
truanting is wasting money, if there was none, then classes could be better arranged and resources set more fairly.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Steve the Plumber
The original Rouge Trader

I havent read the full post but;

What happens if you dont pay it?

Last edited by Steve the Plumber; 29-09-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling cos I didnt go to school either. lol

Quick Reply: £50 fine for taking kids on holiday!!