General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Nurburgring and not paying for damage

Search this Thread

Old 15-09-2010, 08:41 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
I was taken to the Police station and fined 1000 euros cash, the track officials fined us 800 euros. If I didn't pay the Police I was staying in the cell for the night.

They have got you by the balls if your a brit, thinking back on it I should of made some calls but I didn't see it as the worst fine in the world, I was more worried about the aftermath which as it happened never came to anything.

No receipt from the Police though, ALL forms in German, they had no interest in helping me out with the language barrier, just expected me to sign my life away with some forms which I refused to do.

Was a ball ache tbh and something I hope doesn't happen again
for a grand i would have spent the night in the cell
Old 15-09-2010, 08:54 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

George michael was banged up as he was high on weed and crashed - mush have had some good shit - also the courts have taken into account his previous driving history which aint exactly great.
Old 15-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Stuart.W
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
What happens if you get a big bill and dont have the cash to pay for it though?

Anyone know of someone that it has happened to?
No idea Chip and wouldn't want to be in this situation to find out but I think its a very good idea to make everyone aware of this which I wasn't, cheers.

Its a great shame that things have changed but TBH the circuit owners are obviously getting screwed from people or UK insurance companies not paying up.

My then insurance company in 2001 eventually paid them after 5months for Armco, took 2months to pay me but never paid Ł30 for the safety car which I paid the office on a return visit. Insurance for my RS500 had only cost Ł31.50 for the 2 weeks I had my car on the road so I think I won that one.

My question is if you had your insurance documents with you (not stating any 'ring / toll road exclusions) could they still make you pay up front?

Did Ian have valid insurance documents with him?

None of my insurance policies to date have ever stated any 'ring / toll road exclusions.
I will be contacting the circuit office and insurance company in writing before doing a public day in my own car but prefer to do a dedicated track day there as its much better value for money and at least you know you're not covered and AFAIK don't need to pay for Armco!
Old 15-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin-Reyland
Yes! George Michael crashed and couldn't pay so they banged him up for 8 weeks.
I think it was a different ring that he crashed into....

Old 15-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart.W
but prefer to do a dedicated track day there as its much better value for money and at least you know you're not covered and AFAIK don't need to pay for Armco!
I don't plan to ever do a public day again, and when I next go will go on a dedicated track day. I just think it is getting silly busy and don't want to risk the car on a public day.
Old 15-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Stuart.W
No idea Chip and wouldn't want to be in this situation to find out but I think its a very good idea to make everyone aware of this which I wasn't, cheers.

Its a great shame that things have changed but TBH the circuit owners are obviously getting screwed from people or UK insurance companies not paying up.

My then insurance company in 2001 eventually paid them after 5months for Armco, took 2months to pay me but never paid Ł30 for the safety car which I paid the office on a return visit. Insurance for my RS500 had only cost Ł31.50 for the 2 weeks I had my car on the road so I think I won that one.
Yes, thats "full of win" as the cool kids would say

My question is if you had your insurance documents with you (not stating any 'ring / toll road exclusions) could they still make you pay up front?
My european greencard for my insurance mentioned NO exclusions, they were happy to accept that, but that was in 2004 IIRC

Did Ian have valid insurance documents with him?
Yes but he just paid on his card as it was a trivial sum and he didnt want to involve his insurance over it.

None of my insurance policies to date have ever stated any 'ring / toll road exclusions.
I will be contacting the circuit office and insurance company in writing before doing a public day in my own car but prefer to do a dedicated track day there as its much better value for money and at least you know you're not covered and AFAIK don't need to pay for Armco!
So on a trackday its like the UK in terms of not having any 3rd party liability?

I'd be more than happy to go there under those circumstances and accept if I bin my car Ive lost it.
Old 15-09-2010, 09:30 AM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
I don't plan to ever do a public day again, and when I next go will go on a dedicated track day. I just think it is getting silly busy and don't want to risk the car on a public day.

I've only been the once and it was a bank holiday and it wasn't busy at all, I moved over twice for faster cars and over took a few

I think its down to when you go
Old 15-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Chip

Most bank holidays IME J1mbo you will struggle to even get into the carpark let alone put some clear laps in
Old 15-09-2010, 09:35 AM
rs-tuner
Advanced PassionFord User

Your not wrong about it being busy mike

http://nurburgring-photos.fotopic.net/p66955320.html

Taken on a public day 5/9/10 during world superbikes when it was supposed to be quiet.
Old 15-09-2010, 09:36 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

I just read their german Terms and Conditions and it says that if you cause damage they can demand a deposit in cash.

I guess that is because otherwise they would have to wait months or years for the insurance companies (which are all bastards as we know) to pay out.

Indepedently you might also have to pay a fine to the police if you have caused an accident/road hazard.

PS: Feel free to contact me if you get into any trouble and need translation help. Unfortunately I'm not near the ring at all, though. PM me for mobile number if you're planning a trip.
Old 15-09-2010, 09:38 AM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Most bank holidays IME J1mbo you will struggle to even get into the carpark let alone put some clear laps in

Like I said this was a bank holiday over there was a race series the first day then the next three I did five good clear laps two were wet so some people may not have bothered but the last three were nice and warm and I wasn't hassled with too many drivers

Parking in carpark was hard thought
Old 15-09-2010, 09:46 AM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If insurers don't cover you for using a ring road/toll road, that's me staying off the m25 lol
It's much cheaper than the nurburgring tho lol, Ł1 a lap and nonpaying for armcos, just remember to hide your plates before racing any1 lol.
Old 15-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rs-tuner
Your not wrong about it being busy mike

http://nurburgring-photos.fotopic.net/p66955320.html

Taken on a public day 5/9/10 during world superbikes when it was supposed to be quiet.

Fuck that for a procession .
Old 15-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by stu21t
If insurers don't cover you for using a ring road/toll road, that's me staying off the m25 lol
It's much cheaper than the nurburgring tho lol, Ł1 a lap and nonpaying for armcos, just remember to hide your plates before racing any1 lol.
You can do a full lap too rather than having to time birdge to gantry

you're wrong on the price though, its 1.50 during the day and free of an evening.
Old 15-09-2010, 10:34 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd imagine if they had of stuck me in a cell for the night the 1000 euros would of still be required.

Was a total pistake as a women with a baby took the money off me, I could of got our insurer involved but as mentioned I didn't really fancy having them want the money back so I borrowed it off a few mates and settled up with them when we got home.

On the same trip my mate had a big un in his car but they let him off without charge as the bit of armco he hit gets hit often ( end of Tiergarten before the right hander there is a bit of armco that pokes out and he hit that going sidways at quite some speed )

It wasn't the best trip over there if I was to be honest
Old 15-09-2010, 10:36 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

I totally agree, WAY too busy these days, that trip I mentioned was jam packed, couldn't get a good lap in if you wanted too and cunts everywhere who thought they owned the place which pisses me right off, the biker being one of them.
Old 15-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

You can do a full lap too rather than having to time birdge to gantry

you're wrong on the price though, its 1.50 during the day and free of an evening.

And i belive the unofficial record is around 43mins it takes me that long to get from junction 30 to the tolls over the dam bridge most times
Old 15-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Fuck that for a procession .
clearly ALL caused by the wanky slow Uk reg Shed Mondeos
Old 15-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I thought British insurers had to provide 3rd party cover by law if it's a public highway, which unless closed for racing the Nurburgring is? Wouldn't that make any clause in your insurance revoking cover unlawful?
Old 15-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Stuart.W
Regular Contributor

Yes, thats "full of win" as the cool kids would say
No one looks cool when they've spent 5 days abroad and just realised their much needed breakdown cover was only for 72 hours.......

When you've been extremely lucky to come away from an accident abroad in your favour then I do think its an experience you've won, could have easily been very different and yes its not really the right thing to say but yes I won, I won, I won.

In 2001 you could overtake on both sides and video yourself doing it, those were the days
Old 15-09-2010, 12:12 PM
rs-tuner

Originally Posted by Porkie
clearly ALL caused by the wanky slow Uk reg Shed Mondeos
I don't understand these dickheads who think it's a good idea to spend Ł300 quid on a car just drive to the ring and do a slow lap whilst dropping oil and coolent everywhere.

To me these people are the biggest problem there now.
Old 15-09-2010, 12:19 PM
SiZT

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oranoco
I thought British insurers had to provide 3rd party cover by law if it's a public highway, which unless closed for racing the Nurburgring is? Wouldn't that make any clause in your insurance revoking cover unlawful?
Correct, also if they mention derestricted toll roads that doesn't include the ring as there are 2 sections that have speed limits IIRC
Old 15-09-2010, 12:51 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SiZT
Correct, also if they mention derestricted toll roads that doesn't include the ring as there are 2 sections that have speed limits IIRC
And you think that mentioning that to them will make them go "Ooh, yes you're right, here's your payout!"?
Old 15-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Chip

The wording of the moment on a lot of policies is to exclude any "prepared course"

Which you would really struggle to claim the ring wasnt!
Old 15-09-2010, 01:42 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Does anyone know if Boncaster cover "Ring" trips???? save me ringing them..

Steve
Old 15-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by SteveB
Does anyone know if Boncaster cover "Ring" trips???? save me ringing them..

Steve
Fuck relying on someone on the internet to tell if you your particular policy covers you or not!
Phone them!
Old 15-09-2010, 02:09 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

I don't understand these dickheads who think it's a good idea to spend Ł300 quid on a car just drive to the ring and do a slow lap whilst dropping oil and coolent everywhere.

To me these people are the biggest problem there now.
That is a massive issue but can happen to anyone driving anything, I was in a E36 M3 prepared by a well known motorsport company, shit happens at the end of the day.

I was just trying to find a pic of the rad where it broke but I have no idea where that is now, found this one though and maybe it was the Vauxsport T shirt I was wearing that cursed me ! I blame it all on you Chip

Old 15-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Chip

Im amazed it didnt save you jonlem, they add talent when you put them on, ive never had a crash while wearing mine, lol
Old 15-09-2010, 02:32 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by stu21t
Also the fact the m25 isn't a complete circuit, and isn't a toll road. the tolls, bridge/tunnels aren't actually 'the m25', as between jct. 1a and 30 it's the A282
Old 15-09-2010, 02:37 PM
callummarshall
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

my insurence polacy specificaly says something about not being coverd to drive the ring
Old 15-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
Also the fact the m25 isn't a complete circuit, and isn't a toll road. the tolls, bridge/tunnels aren't actually 'the m25', as between jct. 1a and 30 it's the A282
he was joking......
Old 15-09-2010, 02:44 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Im amazed it didnt save you jonlem, they add talent when you put them on, ive never had a crash while wearing mine, lol
Shame the biker wasn't wearing one then as he may of known to slow down through the flagged section
Old 15-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Chip

they only add talent not manners or brains
Old 15-09-2010, 03:05 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Clearly
Old 15-09-2010, 03:16 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

he was joking......
Clearly sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internets...
Old 15-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
Clearly sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internets...
Not if you didnt think I was being sarcastic in my sarcastic reply to your sarcastic reply to stu's joke
Old 15-09-2010, 04:55 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

oh dear. lol
Old 15-09-2010, 05:29 PM
rs-tuner

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
That is a massive issue but can happen to anyone driving anything, I was in a E36 M3 prepared by a well known motorsport company, shit happens at the end of the day.

I was just trying to find a pic of the rad where it broke but I have no idea where that is now, found this one though and maybe it was the Vauxsport T shirt I was wearing that cursed me ! I blame it all on you Chip

Agreed

I believe if you can't pay then don't play
Old 15-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
And you think that mentioning that to them will make them go "Ooh, yes you're right, here's your payout!"?
Not for a moment, well certainly not in the short term anyway.
Old 15-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Chip

Agreed

I believe if you can't pay then don't play
Agreed as well, although the problem is that the cost is such an unknown.

A 5K bill I can pay, a 50K bill I would really struggle with, and both are perfectly possible to get.

Hence ive not driven there since I have been unable to get insurance there anymore other than a few sedate laps in lee's car where I felt I wasnt risking too much as I wasnt really going quick enough to have a significant risk of a massive accident.