General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Saph cos lighting question

Search this Thread

Old 14-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Altratz
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saph cos lighting question

Evening all im having a slight lighting issue with my rear near side started after i got the car back from the repairers noticed that the rear brake warning lights on the dash were staying on but brake lights were working!. then had a problem with the entire near side cluster so it appears that was a loose connection so is working but still the dash lights wont go off just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if its a fuse or relay somewhere that controls the lights or if someone has a wiring diagram so i can try to source the problem! thanks in advance.
Old 14-09-2010, 07:39 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the lights don't draw enough current the bulb warning symbol can light, this is normally caused by a bad earth, best thing to do anyway to rid the car of disco lights is run a seperate earth wire from the earth track of each light to the body work, to a light fixing bolt etc, can save a huge hassle, can also do the fog/brake light mod at the same time, 100% mot passable and 100% legal, makes a huge difference for about 20 pence!!
tabetha
Old 14-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Altratz
PassionFord Regular

Sounds great tabetha do you have any pics of the mods? cos that would be a great help as im pretty sure a bad earth is the cause thanks again.
Old 15-09-2010, 04:03 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can take some piccies of the mod, but seriously easy, just buy a pair of 1N5408 Rectifier diodes from maplins etc, then determine the brake light wire and the fog light wire, from this follow the tracks on the bulb holder, then drill a small 3mm hole in the stop and fog track and solder the diode across it, if the wrong way round the fog will light the brake but brake won't light the fog, simply reverse diode so stop current flows to fog track(and lights), this will have the silver orientation band facing/towards the fog track.
This will cause the fog light switch(ON) light to come on each time the brakes are applied, if bothered about this(I'm not) simply use another diode in the wire between the fog lights switch output wire and the bulb holder where it goes, so current flows only to the bulb holder from the fog switch but is blocked going the other way.
tabetha
Old 15-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Altratz
PassionFord Regular

I think pics would be a really good idea lol