General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Bumped My Neighbours Car - Opinions On Quote

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Luketehpro
couldnt you get a genuine one from a scrap yard and offer to fit it :\
Yeah that's a good idea mate cos i bet if you had a car less than a year old that was damaged through no fault of your won you'd be happy with that wouldn't you.
Originally Posted by johnandhissaffy
if that was my bill i would smash his car in and do a proper job on the car not a small crack to a bumper i would make sure they right the bloody thing off just think 800+ quid they are mugging u off mate everyone can see it, if you do pay it then unlucky for you but i would seriously look into getting a mate or someone to go round and fuck his car up proply once it all died over.
but then its probly best to get it out the way and forget about it even tho its a right kick in the balls
Don't be such a dick! It's not the owners fault that that is the cost of the quote is it? I'm sure if it had come back at £350 he would have been happy with that so long as he is getting a proper job done. If it was your car that was damaged you would want parts replacing to bring it back to its "as new" standard wouldn't you?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:24 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by R4N S S
why should the guy have to get his bumper repaired on a one year old car - its not his fault.

he should (also I would too) that the car be put back to the condition it was in before it got damaged - so new bumper, etc

you would not be happy if the shoe was on the other foot would you?
Exactly .
Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Fiddy i used to work for Sims suzuki which was a shit hole.Anyway they dont have a bodyshop.someone does the work for them.

Ive never worked in a place which i hated from day one.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:35 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id ask him to get it done at a good bodyshop and then give him £100 quid extra for his/her trouble. Its a £300-£400 ish job at the most so that will save you a few hundred quid, and then everyones happy.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
Fiddy i used to work for Sims suzuki which was a shit hole.Anyway they dont have a bodyshop.someone does the work for them.

Ive never worked in a place which i hated from day one.
i know a lad who worked there back in the day mate, about 12 year ago, he hated it aswel.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiddy
i know a lad who worked there back in the day mate, about 12 year ago, he hated it aswel.
Sims suzuki is full of thick so called mechanics. Im sure ive told u the stories about them.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:07 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FredElliot
Slightly off topic, but is there any wonder that insurance costs are just ridiculous when main dealers are pricing repairs like this?

There may be some truth in younger male drivers being more accident prone as a rule, but the vehicle repair industry needs to accept some blame for the daft hike in insurance prices if this is the sort of crap they are spewing out for the thousands of similar small bumps around the country.

Take it to a non franchised bodyshop and you will get a perfect repair for maybe £150-200.

Its main dealers taking advantage of people who believe their work is superior to anyone elses.

TBH mate,insurance companies,pure and simple are complete and utter cunts to deal with as a bodyshop, I know because I run one,not for much longer mind!!!

Good example,did insurance work when we first opened on a guys golf,the sprayer at the time like a twat gave a silly low quote of something like £200 to repair the bumper and paint it up,btw the damage was 20x worse than in fiddys case.

The work was completed in three days,they phoned me to confirm everything was complete and that they were checking with the customer that he was happy with the work,which to be fair they did and he rang me to confirm they`ve contacted him and he told them everything was A - OK.I asked them how soon I could expect payment and they said " in due course".

Heard nothing for a month,then 6 weeks,so phoned them to ask what the delay was,claimed they hadnt recieved the invoice. I explained that as I faxed it off as requested, I have a fax reciept which clearly showed the number was the same,they claimed it wasnt a valid fax number and that i should send it off to xxxxxx fax. I wasn`t happy of course but did so.I phoned them everyday from then on,kept getting passed from department to department, no joy. I was then told to send off the invoice via post so they could view a hard copy as they didn`t accept faxed documents wtf???

At this point I lost it and demanded to speak to someone in charge as they were taking the piss,they then said they would accept faxed documents and i`d recieve my CHEQUE in the post within ........................30days!!!Plus 5 days to clear making the whole process around three months.

This is why we take the piss on quotes,its all well and good when you budget your week around public work to pay wages,bills,materials etc but some of the insurance jobs I had meant laying out nearly £1000 in parts and materials and then waiting up to 30 days until I get even a basic payment. A lot goes on behind the scenes that those not in the trade dont know about. I can tell you now for nothing that you WILL NOT recieve the old parts back,thats if they even bother to replace them,I`d repair those personally and still charge the insurance company for new ones and I don`t know of ANY other garage in my area that wouldnt,how would you ever know?

Don`t get me wrong,if someone like fiddy turned up,explained the situation, I`d give him his options,repair for cash,repair through insurance etc. If someone demanded to see the old parts etc then I`d tell them to supply the new parts themselves and I`ll happily return the old ones,otherwise fuck off,nobody knows what can happen when old parts are removed,poor previous repairs (albiet doubtful in this case),botched fixings,home repairs we`ve seen it all.

As you said originally,Its a bit of a swerve from the original topic but I often think that bodywork is a very underrated trade. All the public see is the finished product and not the amount of work that goes into it. I`ve had peeps come in,particularly the older generation,and ask why I want £150 to repair a "little scratch on the door",which tends to be a big scratch all down the door, then blend into the wing etc etc..

The cost of materials is fucking scandalous at the moment as well,try a box of sanding discs @ £20+vat a throw,paints £35-40 per litre,filler £18 a tub for the decent stuff,thinners,laquers,gun wash,tack cloths,it all adds up.

Also with body,you get what you pay for,but that can be very hard to get across to the general public.