General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fresh wheel paint dilema

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default fresh wheel paint dilema

Has anyone had any problems with polish and fresh paint?

I had my wheels professionally refurbished last weekend (As far as i am aware they were dipped, blasted, powder coated then painted and clearcoated.
), picked them up on a Tuesday. Then on Thursday I decided to polish and treat the tyres before utting them back on the car.
I polished them up using megs nxt and autoglym tyre shine, then put them away. When I came to see them the next day they looked like they were covered in tiny fibres, on closer inspection they are minute cracks in the basecoat, but you cant feel them with a nail.

The guy who got the wheels done collected them yesterday and he has them now, he said when he took the tyres off there are no marks underneath. So it could be the polish…..what do I do now???
Old 06-09-2010, 11:19 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

If they are in the basecoat then its nothing to do with the polish. Can't see that anything you could have done could cause the problem if they've been done properly.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by xr_craig
If they are in the basecoat then its nothing to do with the polish. Can't see that anything you could have done could cause the problem if they've been done properly.
they are under the laqcuer, just wanted to be confident that it couldnt be anything in the polish that did this. its just coincidence that i polished them and then this happens.

the guy that did them has been helpful, i'm just hoping he doesnt turn round and say well thats it, and i'm left with less than perfect wheels!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM
JK99
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you use Tardis or Tar-Off during the cleaning process? Reason I ask is the same thing happened to a guy up here but he blamed it on the Tardis he had used but I suppose it could have been a wax later in the process?

I think he ended up getting the blasted and painted again but never really got to the bottom of it.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jigga
Did you use Tardis or Tar-Off during the cleaning process? Reason I ask is the same thing happened to a guy up here but he blamed it on the Tardis he had used but I suppose it could have been a wax later in the process?

I think he ended up getting the blasted and painted again but never really got to the bottom of it.

i didnt, no. Surely it wouldnt matter, these products are designed not to cut through the lacquer layer?

i just used some nxt wax to remove the tyre release agent, and shine the wheels up

then some autoglym tire shine to make the tyres nice
Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They don't powder coat then paint then laquer do they??? I thought they were just power coated and baked??

Steve