General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is it possible to fit a mini to this body

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 PM
smudger068
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to fit a mini to this body

Abit off the ford subject, but i would like a project and really want a RWD Mini, but dont have fabrication equipment to do steel tubing. I would like to know if i could get mini to fit this body. The body is 10 inches long, obviously it would need cutting down and it's only 2.5 inches (5 inc in total) wider either side, however flared arches would cover that,
also, would consider a zetec conversion if it was a success.
the level im at is basic welding with 6013 welding arc rod, and a trainee race mechanic, however, season has finished and would like a project.

The body:

Dont have a high budget a mate has a zetec engine laying around so mock up wouldnt be a problem
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

anything is possible
however, on a tight budget i would forget it.
in theory, you could cut the floorpan out of a mini, plonk it over the top, bolt seat etc. to the chassis and job done. but you need to shorten it, which i would get someone who knows their welding to do, the prop shortened, again, not DIY, and then it would have to have a rollcage made and fitted, again, not DIY, especially not at the kind of speeds it will do.
and then theres the SVA... i have no idea on what would be needed so i cant comment apart from it will be a pain in the arse and not cheap
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
smudger068
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay well, would it probably be 1, better and 2, easier if i used a kit chassis like a locost or suming?? and had that fabricated instead, getting it rewelded isn't a problem, just be cost for parts and paint that will be the expense