General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Why is it not law to report killing a cat on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 30-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Why is it not law to report killing a cat on the road?

Really cant understand it, you have to report knocking a dog down, so why not cats?

Been out for a meal with my other half this afternoon, decided to go for a drive after, we came across a cat in the middle of the road that had been knocked down , looked like it had been clipped rather than ran over, wasn't sure if it was still alive and having 3 cats ourselves we couldn't just carry on so we went back to check.

Unfortunately it was dead which we both found very upsetting, especially as it wasn't much older than a kitten, i dont think it had happened long before we got there, i couldn't believe that no one else stopped and even as i made my way to the middle of the road cars were still driving around it, if it was a dog they wouldn't do that

I was hoping it would have a collar so i could inform the owner but it didn't have one, didn't really know what to do so we called non emergency police who have informed the highways agency and apparently are going to deal with it, whatever that means.

Just dont understand why you dont have to report it, its someone's pet at the end of the day, even if they were stupid enough to let it out without a collar!!

Please no stupid comments from the cat haters

R.I.P little cat

Karl

Last edited by Karl 3dr; 30-08-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 30-08-2010, 08:24 PM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

thing is now with the advent of pet micro chipping pets dont need collars,as more cats get injured from collars getting snagged up etc than from road deaths,takes a few seconds to identify a cat with a vet/rspca /pdsa scanner, and yes i agree dont understand myself why dogs need reporting and cats dont ,on average cats live longer too
Old 30-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because cats are shit and belong in wheelie bins
Old 30-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

True, but when 99% of people just drive past it whereas they wouldn't if it was a dog and the 1% who do actually stop are pretty unlikely to have a chip scanner on them i think a collar is still a good idea.

Our cats stay indoors 95% of the time and when they are out they've always got collars on with their name and our phone number, whoevers cat that is will be missing it and will have no idea what's happened now, if it was mine i'd be out looking for it!
Old 30-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

I love pussys realy
Old 30-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RETRO_AL_
Because cats are shit and belong in wheelie bins
Can you not read? If you've got nothing constructive to say then keep your thoughts to yourself, Prick!
Old 30-08-2010, 08:31 PM
STeve

Originally Posted by sapph1
True, but when 99% of people just drive past it whereas they wouldn't if it was a dog and the 1% who do actually stop are pretty unlikely to have a chip scanner on them i think a collar is still a good idea.

Our cats stay indoors 95% of the time and when they are out they've always got collars on with their name and our phone number, whoevers cat that is will be missing it and will have no idea what's happened now, if it was mine i'd be out looking for it!

its down to the owner I guess ,as for the reporting of a dogs death is due to their size in case it causes a further accident as cats are far smaller and pose less of a threat to cars

Trending Topics

Old 30-08-2010, 08:32 PM
RS_JAY
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work on the council. Normally cats/dogs get collected by the highways. They have to incinerate them after a certain period of time. Thats what they mean by " deal with it "
We come across allsorts.

Last edited by RS_JAY; 30-08-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 30-08-2010, 08:36 PM
RS_JAY

If anyone does have a dog/cat missing ring the highways or council. If there not chipped they can come and identify the dog/cat. Normally keep them in a fridge for a period of time.
Old 30-08-2010, 08:43 PM
S1

A few months back I was driving home in the early hours and found a cat dead in the middle of the road. I picked it up and moved it to the verge. Next morning I called the local vets and reported it, gave a description etc as it had no collar. If it was one of mine (I have six!) I would want to know its fate.

And as for the collar thing, 4 of our cats wear them with no problems, 1 keeps losing them after a couple of days and 1 refuses to wear one to the point he makes himself bleed by trying to rip it off himself.
Old 30-08-2010, 08:48 PM
markincov

It has nothing to do with size of animal. If you run over a Yorkshire terrier (perfectly reasonable in my book, horrible yappy things) you still have to report it.

Dogs are legally working animals, this is why you have to report hitting them. You also have to report hitting certain livestock. Although cats have historically been kept by farmers etc as ratters or mousers, they are not classed as working animals. Anyone who has tried to train a cat to do anything, let alone herd sheep will understand why.
Old 30-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I know what you mean, 1 of ours tends to lose his collar more often than the other 2 because he tends to more exploring than the other 2.

Dont know how you cope with 6, 3 is hard work enough!!

Fair play for stopping to move the cat though mate, it seems not many people would
Old 30-08-2010, 08:50 PM
STeve

Originally Posted by markincov
It has nothing to do with size of animal. If you run over a Yorkshire terrier (perfectly reasonable in my book, horrible yappy things) you still have to report it.

Dogs are legally working animals, this is why you have to report hitting them. You also have to report hitting certain livestock. Although cats have historically been kept by farmers etc as ratters or mousers, they are not classed as working animals. Anyone who has tried to train a cat to do anything, let alone herd sheep will understand why.

indeed fair comment and it makes sense ,even if it does not seam fair
Old 30-08-2010, 08:51 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Can you not read? If you've got nothing constructive to say then keep your thoughts to yourself, Prick!
i think he was refuring to the woman who through the cat in the bin a few days ago..
Old 30-08-2010, 08:53 PM
RS_JAY

In all fairness he did say " No stupid comments "
Old 30-08-2010, 08:54 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

very true but this is passionford..
Old 30-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by clarke5700
very true but this is passionford..
Exactly lol
Old 30-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 1-PD
its down to the owner I guess ,as for the reporting of a dogs death is due to their size in case it causes a further accident as cats are far smaller and pose less of a threat to cars
True, didn't really think of it like that

Karl
Old 30-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

lol
Old 30-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

m pretty sure you DONT have to report hittin a dog anymore as theyre not registered.

and anyway where do you draw the line, hitting a ant?
Old 30-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well if your eyesight's good enought to be able to tell that you've hit an ant while you're driving along then yeah ok, why not!!
Old 30-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't think you should have to, cat owners are quick to jump in with the "roaming animals" crap when i have complained about them crapping in my garden where my children play.
Personally consider them like vermin, far too many around.

Dogs: These should be under control and the owner should know where they are all of the time. so if one is run over it's most likely escaped......rather than let out.
Old 30-08-2010, 09:18 PM
nick-21
feet found, i have 2

Originally Posted by markincov

Correct.

And plus if a dog goes missing there is someone who actually gives a fuck (that is a horrible attemp at humour)
Old 30-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, that's not what i was asking though, just wondered why you have to report dogs and not cats, although it turns out you might not have to report dogs now

On the subject on cats shitting everywhere though, there's a lot of cats around our way and i've NEVER found any cat shit in our garden or the surrounding area, but i did find a MASSIVE dog shit in our back garden last week, so its not just cat owners that are irresponsible after all.

Also went for a walk down the canal last week and there was dog shit EVERYWHERE, even though there's signs up all over the place about fines etc.

No sign of any cat shit though, strange
Old 30-08-2010, 09:22 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fair play for stopping!
Old 30-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
fair play for stopping!

Thanks!
Old 30-08-2010, 09:26 PM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

having 4 cats and a dog i would most definately have stopped aswell
good on ya
Old 30-08-2010, 09:30 PM
nick-21
feet found, i have 2

That's fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, that's not what i was asking though, just wondered why you have to report dogs and not cats, although it turns out you might not have to report dogs now

On the subject on cats shitting everywhere though, there's a lot of cats around our way and i've NEVER found any cat shit in our garden or the surrounding area, but i did find a MASSIVE dog shit in our back garden last week, so its not just cat owners that are irresponsible after all.

Also went for a walk down the canal last week and there was dog shit EVERYWHERE, even though there's signs up all over the place about fines etc.

No sign of any cat shit though, strange
You dont have to report a cat as its not controlled as such. Thats the basic answer to your question.
Old 30-08-2010, 09:33 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

we don't use collars as our cats go of into the fields at the back and would hate to think that one of them was to get caught up by there collar and strangle themselves, they are chipped though.

i do think it should be that you have to report a cat being run over too, for the emotional side of things to the family that have lost there pet, we had one run over outside our house and brought it in as it was still alive only to have it die on our kitchen floor we just made it feel as comfortable as possible as it had suffered a massive head injury, then we managed to find the owners who where on holiday and told them about there loss, as we would of liked to know if it was our pet, needles to say whoever run it over didn't even stop just carried on
Old 30-08-2010, 09:44 PM
D.K.
BANNED
BANNED

I cant see how someone could be so heartless and not stop, pets are like kids to some people and you wouldnt run a kid over and not stop would ya, well i fookin hope not anyway!!
Old 30-08-2010, 09:56 PM
markincov

Originally Posted by D.K
I cant see how someone could be so heartless and not stop, pets are like kids to some people and you wouldnt run a kid over and not stop would ya, well i fookin hope not anyway!!
Hmm, tough one. I far prefer cats to children.
Old 30-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by nick-21
You dont have to report a cat as its not controlled as such. Thats the basic answer to your question.
OK thanks mate, btw, my comment wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at Ridgey, i just forgot to quote his post
Old 30-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

good for stopping mate.
Old 30-08-2010, 11:09 PM
nick-21
feet found, i have 2

OK thanks mate, btw, my comment wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at Ridgey, i just forgot to quote his post
No worries

Good man for stopping! My dad made himself very unpopular last time he stopped during rush hour to check a moggie that had been hit. It least looked like it had been hit hard enough that it wouldn't have suffered. Bloody owners started giving him a bollocking when he phoned to tell them (id tag on the collar) until they finally STFU and listened to the fact he was the only person who stopped to move the thing off the road and was going to offer to bring the collar round.

Our cat used to hide in trees in the garden and jump on the dog, was funny as fook
Old 30-08-2010, 11:53 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's the perception that you don't technically own a cat by means that they will venture out and get fed and loved where they can. My mum and dad have had a cat living with them for the past 6 years and he isn't theirs. His owners were at work all day, kid's at school and he used to visit the old dears next door until one passed away. All it took was a salmon sandwhich and he's been at my folks ever since. Good on you for stopping m8, and so everyone should if there's an animal in distress on the road.
Old 31-08-2010, 12:18 AM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-PD
thing is now with the advent of pet micro chipping pets dont need collars,as more cats get injured from collars getting snagged up etc than from road deaths,takes a few seconds to identify a cat with a vet/rspca /pdsa scanner, and yes i agree dont understand myself why dogs need reporting and cats dont ,on average cats live longer too
Wrong!!! The control of dogs mandate states that dogs must wear a collar when in a public place stating the name & address including postcode of the owner.
Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
m pretty sure you DONT have to report hittin a dog anymore as theyre not registered.

and anyway where do you draw the line, hitting a ant?
Wrong again. You still have to report hitting a dog (as well as the following: pig, cattle, goat, ass, sheep, horse or mule). Ants are not covered lol.
Old 31-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I ran over a cat some time ago and it was horrible. I wrapped it in a towel out of my boot and a passing girl held it while I raced it to the vets, which was closed. In the end we took it to the local hospital out of sheer desperation and as we walked into the hospital it pissed itself and we knew it was dead. I cried my eyes out, and this girl thought I was a bit weird. I took it to another vet then which was miles away and she said it would be buried respectfuly, and it was turfed in a bin bag and that was its lot.

Benni.
Old 31-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Knight-Rider
Virgin

I hit a cat in the wifes A3. thing smashed the front bumper and grille
was untold bits of mushed cat behind it, took weeks for it to stop smelling like fried chicken
Old 31-08-2010, 07:13 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

because people let cats roam around on their own? dogs are never left to fend for themselves out of enclosed gardens and yards. if i kicked my young pup out on the street then i would half expect it to be mowed down or shot by the farmer. Two entirley different animals require two different laws.
Old 31-08-2010, 08:42 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

i made my way to the middle of the road cars were still driving around it, if it was a dog they wouldn't do that
why should other drivers stop for a dog? I see plenty of roadkill on the roads and i never stop - only stopped once as i had run over a dog years ago that was in the middle of the road.

In fact i saw some dead roadkill this morning and no one stopped - couldnt tell you what it was as it guts were hanging out all over the road

i wouldnt swerve to avoid an animal on the road as the risks are too great and i actually love dogs.

Quick Reply: Why is it not law to report killing a cat on the road?