General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Why is it not law to report killing a cat on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 31-08-2010, 08:47 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

proper flat roadkill is one thing

domestic animals in the road hurt / dead is another
Old 31-08-2010, 08:47 AM
STeve
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Official PassionFord BANNED Trader
Super Moderator

Received 869 Likes on 697 Posts

At least this thread has answered a few queries most of us may have had in our minds ,but no matter what the pet dog or cat its nice to think somoene gives a fuck as chances are some family are missing their pet
Old 31-08-2010, 09:00 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its dead its dead, dog, cat, rabbit, bird, id still drive on
Old 31-08-2010, 09:08 AM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

Our neighbours moved a few months ago and left their cats behind( to still constantly shit up our alley!!), so i phoned the old bill as they were starving and was told there was nothing they could do as they are classed as vermin, so phoned the rspca and they collected them(no more shitting up the alley) so im guessing this is why you dont have to report them as they are vermin or this is what i was told.
Old 31-08-2010, 09:16 AM
nick-21
feet found, i have 2

If you hit a deer and kill it your not allowed to stop and pick it up, but if your in the car behind you can pick up bamby and take her home to make some nice burgers.

Not sure about cat burgers though......sweet and sour on the other hand....sure i have had that knowing some of the take aways in glasgow!
Old 31-08-2010, 09:38 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by nick-21
If you hit a deer and kill it your not allowed to stop and pick it up, but if your in the car behind you can pick up bamby and take her home to make some nice burgers.

Not sure about cat burgers though......sweet and sour on the other hand....sure i have had that knowing some of the take aways in glasgow!
i hit a deer, bastard ran off though, or i would of kicked it up the arse lol
Old 31-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Cats are classed as wild animals still I believe, hence you cant get a neighbour done for antisocial behaviour if their cat craps in your garden etc.
So they arent really viewed as "belonging" to someone the way a dog is.
Old 31-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-PD
At least this thread has answered a few queries most of us may have had in our minds ,but no matter what the pet dog or cat its nice to think somoene gives a fuck as chances are some family are missing their pet
Exactly, I would like to think someone would have the decency to stop and check out my pet and inform me of what had happened. It wasn't me that hit the cat but there was no way I could have just left it. Maybe that makes me a bit weird because people like me are seemingly a minority, but i'd rather be the way I am than a heartless twat that doesn't care tbh.
Old 31-08-2010, 12:01 PM
markincov

Originally Posted by Chip
So they arent really viewed as "belonging" to someone the way a dog is.
People own dogs, cats have staff.
Old 31-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by markincov
People own dogs, cats have staff.
Old 31-08-2010, 12:19 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridgey
I don't think you should have to, cat owners are quick to jump in with the "roaming animals" crap when i have complained about them crapping in my garden where my children play.
Personally consider them like vermin, far too many around.

I'm with you on that one.

People go on and on about you must do this, that and the other if you hit a cat, but why? Would you do the same if you hit a pigeon for example? This may be someone's pet?

IMO, if the cat owner is happy to let their cat roam over the roads, then they shouldn't be too upset when its mown down. I was taught when learning to drive that if an animal runs out in front of your car, you should not take evasive action to miss it, so the little puddy cat is gonna get it!
Old 31-08-2010, 02:28 PM
GaryBean
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

one of my cats got ran over a few years back the bloke that hit it came to my door with the cat to say sorry etc not that it was his fault. but still it was nice for him to do it. my little sister has got another cat now im not there anymore and it is stuppid it lays in the middle of the road and dont get up when a car comes past.
Old 31-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by GaryBean
my little sister has got another cat now im not there anymore and it is stuppid it lays in the middle of the road and dont get up when a car comes past.
TBH I would just assume a cat lieing in the road was injured and potentially in pain, and as I dont like to see animals suffer I would swerve to hit it squarely with one of the front wheels just to make sure it wasnt suffering
Old 31-08-2010, 02:32 PM
GaryBean

Originally Posted by Rich170
I'm with you on that one.

People go on and on about you must do this, that and the other if you hit a cat, but why? Would you do the same if you hit a pigeon for example? This may be someone's pet?

IMO, if the cat owner is happy to let their cat roam over the roads, then they shouldn't be too upset when its mown down. I was taught when learning to drive that if an animal runs out in front of your car, you should not take evasive action to miss it, so the little puddy cat is gonna get it!

If you swerve to miss anything apart from a human of course on your driving test and they will 9 times out of 10 see it as evasive action and you will fail.

I was told when i was learning to drive 6 years ago if anything ran out in front of me to hit it then stop when safe to do so.
Old 31-08-2010, 02:35 PM
GaryBean

Originally Posted by Chip
TBH I would just assume a cat lieing in the road was injured and potentially in pain, and as I dont like to see animals suffer I would swerve to hit it squarely with one of the front wheels just to make sure it wasnt suffering

i would assume the same they tri and keep it in as much as they can now as my sister is only 3 and would be rather upset if it were to die.
Old 31-08-2010, 02:53 PM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

our cat went missing for a day then just dragged itself through the catflap at about 7ish. covered in blood, tail was MISSING! broken leg and foot and all scuffed up. poor fella.
we took him to the vet and hes still alive today. its amazing what they can do nowadays. he has no tail and a limp is all.
we could trace the blood back to the street and see where he was hit, how nobody saw this poor cat dragging its arse back like a zombie god knows. was really emotional.
Old 31-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Jimboxr4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The road traffic act defines what is an animal for the purposes of reporting an accident and a dog is listed but a cat isn't. Don't know how they decide which creatures are animals for the purposes of the act but because of this act you have a legal requirement to report an accident involving an 'animal'.
Old 31-08-2010, 02:57 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jimboxr4x4
The road traffic act defines what is an animal for the purposes of reporting an accident and a dog is listed but a cat isn't. Don't know how they decide which creatures are animals for the purposes of the act but because of this act you have a legal requirement to report an accident involving an 'animal'.
That is because a dog is an animal, and a cat is just target practice
Old 31-08-2010, 03:00 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't let my cat out of the garden since I know there is a high probability it will get knocked down and most probably left for dead.
Interesting to read peoples differing viewpoints, but surely a bit of respect isn't too much to ask, afterall it IS someone's pet, even if you have some sort of unexplainable unjustified weird phobia about it. If you hit any "domestic" animal on the road you should be a man and do the right thing IMO.
On the comments about regular wildlife being mowed down just for being there i disagree wholeheartedly, if it is safe to do so, avoid or slowdown, i know i'd rather have my car intact for starters. And for those that don't slow down for anything, one day it'l be a deer and you'll be fcuked.
Old 31-08-2010, 03:02 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by rog
I don't let my cat out of the garden since I know there is a high probability it will get knocked down and most probably left for dead.
Interesting to read peoples differing viewpoints, but surely a bit of respect isn't too much to ask, afterall it IS someone's pet, even if you have some sort of unexplainable unjustified weird phobia about it. If you hit any "domestic" animal on the road you should be a man and do the right thing IMO.
On the comments about regular wildlife being mowed down just for being there i disagree wholeheartedly, if it is safe to do so, avoid or slowdown, i know i'd rather have my car intact for starters. And for those that don't slow down for anything, one day it'l be a deer and you'll be fcuked.

I do agree with you, if there was a cat in the road then yes I would slow down until it got out of the way, however if one ran out in front of me and I couldn't avoid hitting it without swerving/braking hard or whatever, then I would hit it no bother and wouldn't worry in the slightest about it.
Old 31-08-2010, 03:05 PM
dawesy1700
JAPSCORT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER

Wrong again. You still have to report hitting a dog (as well as the following: pig, cattle, goat, ass, sheep, horse or mule). Ants are not covered lol.
shit, so next time i hit a piece of ass i've gotta report myself??? bummer,
but on a more serious note, there are feral cats around, specially in the country side, they obviously won't be chipped etc, so they're classed as vermin, domestic cats aren't, (i think), but how do you tell what cats feral and domestic if you've just whacked it? (didn't mean to sound like a mafia hitman there ) so i think thats why you don't need to report it, the law/highways agencies dont want to be wasting time on vermin.
Old 31-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rog
Thats just the thing thought is it, just having the decency to stop and do something about it, doesnt take alot really does it?! Someone hit and killed our cat near the top of our road and just left it there, took for someone else passing to have the bollocks to actually call us and let us know, he was beside himself but still managed it!

Just shows what a bunch of cunts there are on here really!

Old 31-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich170
That is because a dog is an animal, and a cat is just target practice
It seems someone else cant read, I did say in my first sort no stupid comments please, it was a serious question about something that means a lot to me and really upset me, I suppose I should have known better with it being Passionford but never mind. I'll say it again, if you've got something constructive to say then fair enough, otherwise, how about you go lie in the road yourself and see if anyone bothers to swerve around you?
Old 31-08-2010, 04:24 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

R.I.P. Kitty

Originally Posted by sapph1

Just dont understand why you dont have to report it, its someone's pet at the end of the day, even if they were stupid enough to let it out without a collar!!

R.I.P little cat
Not all cats like collers. My cat now doesnt & neither did the cat before her. They were both chipped so a coller doesnt matter, you get the info from the chip, thats the point of them.

Last edited by thebigmacmoomin; 31-08-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 31-08-2010, 05:38 PM
STeve
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Official PassionFord BANNED Trader
Super Moderator

Received 869 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigmacmoomin
R.I.P. Kitty

Not all cats like collers. My cat now doesnt & neither did the cat before her. They were both chipped so a coller doesnt matter, you get the info from the chip, thats the point of them.

my familys cats are the same but i make sure the dog has one
Old 31-08-2010, 07:21 PM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RETRO_AL_
Because cats are shit and belong in wheelie bins